***OFFICIAL*** Next Defensive Coordinator Thread

Who will be the Bears' next DC?

• Total voters

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's all but a fact that Fangio will be moving on as a HC next season. He has done terrific work for for 3 seasons now. After being snubbed for the Bears HC job, it's clear Fangio will jump ship given the opportunity.

During Fangio's first three seasons in Chicago, the Bears defense improved from a 30th-ranked unit in 2014 to being 14th, 15th, and 10th in total defense. His contract expired following the 2017 season and was interviewed for the Bears' head coaching position on January 3, 2018. Nine days later, he signed a three-year extension with the Bears.

---

There are 5 top candidates to replace Fangio that will likely be fired either during the season or shortly after:

1. Marvin Lewis - don't be fooled by the Bengals record. They have been lucky on offense yet ranked #26 in total defense. This is no fault to Lewis as his personnel is just garbage. Imagine what he could do with the Bears' defense.

The newly relocated Baltimore Ravens (formerly the Cleveland Browns), hired Lewis as their defensive coordinator in 1996, a position that he held for six seasons (1996–2001). In 2000, the Ravens defeated the New York Giants 34–7 in Super Bowl XXXV thanks largely to a defense that allowed the fewest rushing yards (970) and the fewest points (165) in a 16-game regular season.

2. Vance Joseph - Joseph oversaw a defense that played a key role in the Dolphins returning to the playoffs for the first time in eight seasons. Despite having to use 13 different starting lineups due to injury, Joseph’s defense ranked fourth in the NFL on third downs (36.2%) while forcing the sixth-most negative plays (107) in the league. The Dolphins won nine of their final 11 regular-season games in 2016 with Joseph’s defense accounting for the fourth-most takeaways (21) in the NFL during that stretch.

3. Sean McDermott - Bills are going nowhere this season and McDermott is likely on the way out in no part to their #7 defense. McDermott may be too focused on one side of the ball instead of letting his DC handle things.

McDermott was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Carolina Panthers on January 17, 2011. He was Pro Football Focus's second runner up to their Defensive Coordinator of the Year award in 2015.

As the Panthers' defensive coordinator, McDermott led the team to finishes in the top ten in overall defense from 2012-2015.

In the 2015 season, McDermott and the Panthers reached Super Bowl 50, which was played on February 7, 2016. His defense only gave up one offensive touchdown in the game, but the Panthers fell to the Denver Broncos by a score of 24–10.

4. Lovie Smith

5. Rex Ryan

Who ya got?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Really, of the names listed I want McDermmott. But, shouldn't bears be able to land virtually any candidate they desire given the talent they now have on the D???

I mean, who wouldn't want to come in and coach Mack and that front 7?

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really, of the names listed I want McDermmott. But, shouldn't bears be able to land virtually any candidate they desire given the talent they now have on the D???

I mean, who wouldn't want to come in and coach Mack and that front 7?

Well, no current head coach that's for sure. That's why I chose head coaches that have a 90% (or roughly 50/50) chance of getting fired OR those ppl that are out of work/failing at college coaching.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
While I agree Fangio has brought attention to himself due to great success, an Older Defensive coach is NOT what the League is looking for in a HC.

The reality is that it is hard to build a team on defense. If you have a HC that keeps getting his offensive coordinators poached for HCing positions, it is very hard to have a consistant and improving offense.

Your assumption that he will be gone is not something I agree with.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well, no current head coach that's for sure. That's why I chose head coaches that have a 90% chance (or roughly 50/50) of getting fired OR those ppl that are out of work/failing at college coaching.

I don't think that Marvin Lewis ever gets fired. just FYI about my thoughts on him.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Why red font? should have used green...

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe Nagy will address this at the press conference later.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Rex Ryan is feet and toes above the rest here IMO, but I think he likes his cushy ESPN job.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Chuck Pagano

[video=youtube_share;fRQpoRYrzJc]https://youtu.be/fRQpoRYrzJc[/video]

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gotta be a 3-4 guy and It is far from a “all but a fact” that he’ll get a HC gig. And the above post that mentioned that older DC is not the direction the league is going.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Dan Quinn but doubt he gets canned.

[video=youtube_share;znMKw0Tpp5Q]https://youtu.be/znMKw0Tpp5Q[/video]

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Todd Bowles

[video=youtube_share;bt_l3xSg2bU]https://youtu.be/bt_l3xSg2bU[/video]

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Potential Kris Richards from Seattle

My #1 would be Bettcher or Bowles if he gets fired.

Jim Schwartz could be another but he runs a 4-3 D. Other guys like George Edwards would be in the same boat with their D schemes.

I think you'd ideally get someone that runs a 3-4 so there isn't much turnover. We finally built a D for the 3-4, it'd be a shame to switch back.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
I want nothing to do with Jim Schwartz and his blitzing obsession. Also NO on anyone who runs the outdated Seattle garbage.

Find me an innovator.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I want nothing to do with Jim Schwartz and his blitzing obsession. Also NO on anyone who runs the outdated Seattle garbage.

Find me an innovator.

Jim Schwartz isn't even in the poll.