*2018-2019 Offseason Discussion Thread*

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
Those two are at least a year off anyway so they can't be considered for 2019.

Zavala could have been brought up. He was in AAA at the end of the year. But that also tells me they want a free agent catcher for the long term, not just a stop gap.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
So Harper probably signs somewhere after Christmas, right?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Backup catcher in tow

"Long term, we're still very optimistic on how Zack Collins and/or Seby Zavala will fit in for us,'' Rick Hahn said this week. "They're not ready yet, they're going to need some more time, and we want to make sure that ... they're not rushed.''

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yonder Alonso for Alex Call.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think I would try getting Machado and Harper in the room at the same time and show them how great Frank Thomas was. How solid Paul Konerko was. Tell them it's time we paired two stars in their prime and make history on the South Side. Offer them a two for one deal at say $30-35 million a year with an opt out in there say at three years. Gives them the chance to get out in case the rebuild "plan" fails.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Wish he was in town yesterday. They could have taken him to the bears game and let him witness the atmosphere of a rivalry game

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
According to espn machado in play with Yankees, Phillies, and White Sox and he has met with all teams. Probably won’t see a decision until after New Years

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
According to espn machado in play with Yankees, Phillies, and White Sox and he has met with all teams. Probably won’t see a decision until after New Years

My guess is we'll see Machado sign before Harper. I think Boras wants to set the market so he can jump it.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
Than it would be Harper signing first

No, Boras is waiting for Machado to sign so he can see what the market value for Machado is. Once he sees that he'll want Bryce to be the highest paid player. By letting Machado go first he's setting the table. The only real problem occurs if Machado's agent tries to do the same.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No, Boras is waiting for Machado to sign so he can see what the market value for Machado is. Once he sees that he'll want Bryce to be the highest paid player. By letting Machado go first he's setting the table. The only real problem occurs if Machado's agent tries to do the same.

ok, You mean you want Machado to set the table, not Boras. Ok then.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Dodgers make a mega deal they probably are in the driver seat for Harper now

Yankees likely will get machado

Nothing is 100% but I’m not liking our chances. Realistically I didn’t like our chances from the start

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Passan says the White Sox are one of two teams willing to offer Harper a 10-year deal

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25653903/why-baseball-world-waiting-manny-bryce

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

counters it.

5:38 PM: Levine does take care to note that, per his sources, Harper “has had” ten-year offers with “big” proposed AAV salaries, though the tendering clubs remain as yet unknown.

3:07 PM: Earlier today, ESPN.com’s Jeff Passan reported that the White Sox (and the Phillies) were willing to give Bryce Harper a contract of at least ten guaranteed years in length. However, contrasting information on Chicago’s stance has come from 670 The Score’s Bruce Levine (Twitter link), who reports that the White Sox are only willing to give Harper or Manny Machado a maximum of a seven-year contract. According to “high ranking industry sources” in contact with Levine, Passan’s report about the White Sox being open to a ten-year deal is “without any substance and flat out wrong.”

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
It sounds like an effort to make the Sox seem like less of a threat.