My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Yeah, cause he was Mike Trout this year. .275/30 HR hitters with average defense need to think twice about about turning down 200M contracts

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Yeah, cause he was Mike Trout this year. .275/30 HR hitters with average defense need to think twice about about turning down 200M contracts

What an amazingly stupid baseball thought.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like fake news.

DB51

Liked Posts:
200 mil over how many years? Just trying to have a guesstimate on what the cubs think he's worth per season?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
200 mil over how many years? Just trying to have a guesstimate on what the cubs think he's worth per season?

No year total was given but presumably it's at least 9-10. You're likely talking $25-30 mil easy a season.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I doubt if KB ever heard about it. No way Boreass will allow KB to sign that deal. Harper might only end up with 275.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure why he wouldn't have turned it down. He's potentially worth a lot more than that. He had a down year in 2018 due to in jury but he's been over 6 WAR in three of four seasons and over 7 in one of them. In the span of the four years he's been in the league he has the 4th highest WAR. Even with the down year his career slash is .285/.385/.515 .383 wOBA and a 140 wRC+. Those are elite numbers and if he has another year in 2019 like 2016-2017 he'll be considered top 5 in the game again like he was going into the season. Both sides are doing exactly what they're supposed to here. The Cubs made an offer to gauge interest and KB turns it down because he's betting on himself. It's a non story really.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
More likely he signs for $326 mil. He's not taking a dime less than the Stanton deal. Book it.

Stanton's number isn't a real number though. It's terribly inflated because Miami was cheap and didn't want to pay up front. To get that they had to give more up later in the deal.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, this was expected. He had a down year. Cubs throw out a figure trying to leverage. Boras and Bryant will gamble on a fluky year for him and the Cubs knew that. It’s just posturing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Stanton's number isn't a real number though. It's terribly inflated because Miami was cheap and didn't want to pay up front. To get that they had to give more up later in the deal.

Fair point but it wasn't cheap necessarily, they new they would be selling the team at some point in the deal. They back loaded it to try to win first and increase the team value. Still that's the number Boras will use. I was kind of kidding at $326, I actually think he gets $350. Machado gets $300. Now the monkey wrench is that there might be another MVP caliber player available through trade in Paul Godschmidt but that may not have the kind of impact on the market that it normally would since most, if not all, of the teams in oh Harper and Machado for their bats already are set at 1B in Atlanta, Philadelphia, LA and Chicago. The Yankees might look at Goldschmidt though and they have plenty of assets to do that.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Yea, this was expected. He had a down year. Cubs throw out a figure trying to leverage. Boras and Bryant will gamble on a fluky year for him and the Cubs knew that. It’s just posturing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes me wonder how Arbitration will go for them this year. Projected is only 12 million.

To me, the cubs want to pay him more than he will be able to get thru arbitration over the next 3 years. remember when Rizzo took 60 million life changing dollars around this point of his career?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Still think this is fake news. If it was legit MLTR would have been on it and one of the major news markets would have followed up.

Just sounds like someone trying to create something that is not there.

Anywho, on legit value. He has 3 years of Arb left. A solid guess is 12M/14M/16M unless he pumps out another MVP quality year. That point 25-30 AAV at age 30. 8 years would be the most a team would bother. So if they did 11 years 242M would be the bottom if he goes in on depressed value. 282M if he is getting 30M per.

Age works against him here so 300M is really not going to be a thing for him.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Bryant signing a long-term deal after a down year and before Machado and Harper set the market in FA would be the height of contract incompetence. Look at the deal Rizzo is stuck playing on.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
Bryant signing a long-term deal after a down year and before Machado and Harper set the market in FA would be the height of contract incompetence. Look at the deal Rizzo is stuck playing on.

Yup Rizzo must be kicking himself everyday. The things he could buy if he only made more than $60M.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
KB holding out hopes that mlb decides soon to expand to Las Vegas.
As soon as Oakland and Tampa futures are clarified, Las Vegas has a great chance at getting a franchise. Needs to happen soon though for KB’s dream scenario as they would need a couple years to tear down the Rio and build a new stadium.

By then or shortly thereafter Harper will probably have worn out his welcome by underperforming for his new team and he too can then get traded to LV and join his tickle buddy KB back home.

And the two will finally live out their dreams together.....at home.