Chili Davis not returning

TL1961

Liked Posts:
How ever can we replace someone who had such a positive impact? ?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
It was pretty clear this was going to happen after Epstein's postseason comments about launch angle and power. He's usually circumspect about things so soon after the season, but he was surprisingly adamant about that stuff.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't let the door hit your bum on the way out, mate.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Who are we thinking in terms of candidates?

Not sure we really should talk specific names because who knows specific hitting coaches? With that being said, I like the way houston works. Maybe that's players and not coaching. I also like the way cleveland hits. I'd hope to get some one from their org.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure we really should talk specific names because who knows specific hitting coaches? With that being said, I like the way houston works. Maybe that's players and not coaching. I also like the way cleveland hits. I'd hope to get some one from their org.

[video=youtube;AwB3baEl0pM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwB3baEl0pM[/video]

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;AwB3baEl0pM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwB3baEl0pM[/video]

Funny you mention this. Next time the fangraphs guys have a chat that i'm able to catch I was going to ask them if Willie Mays Hayes was ahead of his time with launch angle and only held back by his manager being stuck in the past lol

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I think the mistake was having Chili trying to change established swings. I think what he was teaching wasn't wrong, it was just at the wrong level. Teaching how to hit the other way, how to reduce strikeouts and to change approaches when there are two strikes are valuable lessons, but they need to be taught at AAA or lower.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think the mistake was having Chili trying to change established swings. I think what he was teaching wasn't wrong, it was just at the wrong level. Teaching how to hit the other way, how to reduce strikeouts and to change approaches when there are two strikes are valuable lessons, but they need to be taught at AAA or lower.

They were teaching players to swing down because they were getting attacked up in the zone. What the players were getting taught was flat out wrong.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Does anyone else feel like this was something Maddon wanted more than the front office last year re: hiring Chili and that the front office threw him a bone? Because that's what this feels like to me. It seems like Chili's approach to hitting was in line with what Maddon wanted more so than the front office.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
They should look to hire someone who can actually teach, understands how the swing actually works and understands that fewer external cues are better. Too much cookie cutter stuff. Each player has his own DNA. The job doesn't require being a former pro.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
They were teaching players to swing down because they were getting attacked up in the zone. What the players were getting taught was flat out wrong.

That was the major thing he was teaching that was definitely wrong. But he also taught them to go the other way more and to change their approach on two strikes which did reduce K's and increase AVG for about half the year, until they tuned him out.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Good reporting here.

Yeah, that was an earth-shattering revelation Dan Bernstein uncovered. No one could foresee Chili being fired, especially after Theo's end-of-year presser. I am still in a state of shock over this happening.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
That was the major thing he was teaching that was definitely wrong. But he also taught them to go the other way more and to change their approach on two strikes which did reduce K's and increase AVG for about half the year, until they tuned him out.
Until they tuned him out? If they tuned him out, they wouldn't have been the leaders of ground ball mania in the 2nd half.