Gavin Floyd Will Probably Stay Put

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
pretty much expected.

tribeTILLiDIE

Liked Posts:
^ Assuming you face Minnesota in all 162 games of the regular season.

But I'd be surprised if the Sox would let him go given the shape their current rotation is in. Gavin would be an excellent 5th starter for any MLB team, but for the Sox (with Peavy out), he'll be 2nd or 3rd in the rotation.

Rustysurf83

Liked Posts:
I certainly don't see him as the #2 or #3 starter. IMO, the Sox rotation is Danks-1, Jackson-2a, Buerhle-2b, Peavy and Floyd-3a & 3b. The Sox may not have the best ace, second, third, etc in the league but the overall depth of their rotation is very strong. I will take any one of the Sox' starters against most other teams' #4 or #5 without question.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How about dumping Edwin Jackson's garbage overpaid ass.

I mean we only gave up Dan Hudson for him.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I'm glad to see Floyd hopefully stay put. The Sox are again going to live and die by this rotation. I never understood why moving him and putting another hole in the rotation could of been anything other than a negative. Unless we were going to get another young, cheap, good pitcher in return I didn't want to see him go. And that in itself would of been a lateral move.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
^ Assuming you face Minnesota in all 162 games of the regular season.

But I'd be surprised if the Sox would let him go given the shape their current rotation is in. Gavin would be an excellent 5th starter for any MLB team, but for the Sox (with Peavy out), he'll be 2nd or 3rd in the rotation.

wait, what? :rolleyes:

right, because most MLB teams have such solid rotations. :rolleyes:

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
I certainly don't see him as the #2 or #3 starter. IMO, the Sox rotation is Danks-1, Jackson-2a, Buerhle-2b, Peavy and Floyd-3a & 3b. The Sox may not have the best ace, second, third, etc in the league but the overall depth of their rotation is very strong. I will take any one of the Sox' starters against most other teams' #4 or #5 without question.

There is no way that EJax is on the same page as Buehrle...

Chi Sox Nut

Liked Posts:
There is no way that EJax is on the same page as Buehrle...

I think they're on the same page, it's just Buehrle is at the top of the page...

Edwin Jackson = 2nd No-Hitter in D-backs history
Mark Buehrle = Perfect Game, 2-time Gold Glove recipient

Edwin Jackson = 3.24 2010 ERA/4.62 Career ERA
Mark Buehrle = 4.28 2010 ERA/3.85 Career ERA

Buehrle has the same problem striking batters out as EJ, but there is something special about Mark Buehrle.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So far Jackson has looked good for the Sox, plus if we keep him and he leaves via FA (which he will cause the Sox wont resign him) he will bring us an extra draft pick.

We could've kept Dan Hudson for cheap. :obama:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they're on the same page, it's just Buehrle is at the top of the page...

Edwin Jackson = 2nd No-Hitter in D-backs history
Mark Buehrle = Perfect Game, 2-time Gold Glove recipient

Edwin Jackson = 3.24 2010 ERA/4.62 Career ERA
Mark Buehrle = 4.28 2010 ERA/3.85 Career ERA

Buehrle has the same problem striking batters out as EJ, but there is something special about Mark Buehrle.

Gold Gloves don't mean shit. Great, Edwin Jackson had what is probably the biggest joke of a no-no in the history of baseball. He threw like 70 balls that game. And why are you using no-no's and perfect games to gauge a pitcher? That's stupid. It's 1 game. Look at Galarraga with DET, he *basically* threw a perfect game. Does that make him a good pitcher? Not at all. In fact, he pretty much sucks.

Buehrle is really nothing special. However, to have a guy who can go out and give you 200+ IP with an ERA around 4 and a FIP around 4, that's something I want on my team. I'll take that for 14 MM anyday.

EJ on the other hand, is only 4 years younger than Buehrle, has put up an ERA and FIP below 4 once and has only gone over 200 IP twice. EJ does not have a problem with K's, as he K's 2-3 more per 9 than Buehrle. His problem is with the BB. He has been above the league BB/9 average a total of once.

So no, they are not on the same page. They aren't even on the same chapter.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gold Gloves don't mean shit. Great, Edwin Jackson had what is probably the biggest joke of a no-no in the history of baseball. He threw like 70 balls that game. And why are you using no-no's and perfect games to gauge a pitcher? That's stupid. It's 1 game. Look at Galarraga with DET, he *basically* threw a perfect game. Does that make him a good pitcher? Not at all. In fact, he pretty much sucks.

Buehrle is really nothing special. However, to have a guy who can go out and give you 200+ IP with an ERA around 4 and a FIP around 4, that's something I want on my team. I'll take that for 14 MM anyday.

EJ on the other hand, is only 4 years younger than Buehrle, has put up an ERA and FIP below 4 once and has only gone over 200 IP twice. EJ does not have a problem with K's, as he K's 2-3 more per 9 than Buehrle. His problem is with the BB. He has been above the league BB/9 average a total of once.

So no, they are not on the same page. They aren't even on the same chapter.

you contradict yourself in one paragraph. nice.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
you contradict yourself in one paragraph. nice.

Gah.... I had another sentence in there that clarified. He's nothing special, in that he won't put up the huge numbers. However, he is consistently good.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gah.... I had another sentence in there that clarified. He's nothing special, in that he won't put up the huge numbers. However, he is consistently good.

what are considered "huge numbers" though? Please dont say its all about K's