*** OFFICIAL ***2018 College Football Playoff/New Year's 6 Thread

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The first rankings come out on the 30th. Yes, there are two more Saturdays until the rankings come out, but I just thought that I'd start the thread now.

At the moment, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Notre Dame are the four in that order, right?

UCF is obviously in the driver's seat for the Group of Five.

They are in much better shape this year for the playoff, although I would still bet that they are left out even if they run the table.

They need to hope that South Florida, Houston and Cincinnati keep winning.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Anyone else sick of Bama? Also, ND is grossly overrated IMO

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My opinion, which means jack shit. They beat Michigan which is a good win, but who else? Shit they almost lost to Vandy and Pitt at home.

Big game for them this Saturday! Best of luck

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My opinion, which means jack shit. They beat Michigan which is a good win, but who else? Shit they almost lost to Vandy and Pitt at home.

Stanford at home, Va Tech on the road.

If you look at their SOS of games played it's the second strongest of any undefeated team(behind OSU) and their remaining SOS is the strongest of any remaining undefeated team.

Vandy and Ball St are the red headed step children of the season but keep in mind they did that with basically their backup QB and without their RB1.

Pitt wasn't a great game but aside from Bama you can look at every CFB playoff team of the last few years and they have bad games. Even this year Clemson almost lost to Syracuse at home..and Cuse got throttled by Pitt.

Also keep in mind Pitt was after back to back weeks of Stanford and Va tech so it's a classic let down game and was during mid terms at ND. Alohi Gillman, a transfer from the Naval Academy, said he was absolutely dragging by game day due to the finals schedule.

The remaining schedule for ND is really fucking weird though.

vs Navy (in San Diego)
@N'Western
vs FSU
vs Cuse (@ Yankee Stadium)
@USC

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the playoffs have two options right now. One is pretty obvious:

SEC(Whoever wins out between Bama, UGA, LSU, Florida through the Championship weekend)
Big10(Whoever wins out between OSU and Mich)
Clemson (Undefeated)
ND (undefeated)

SEC could sneak two in if Bama loses championship weekend and it comes down to 1 loss Bama vs saya 1 loss OSU or 1 loss Mich)

The other main theory is chaos.

If ND loses at any point they are out IMO. Then you have generically:

SEC(Bama)
Big10
Clemson

At that point you're debating a two loss UGA or LSU or Florida from the SEC
A one loss Oregon from the Pac 12
1 Loss ND will still get love depending on who the loss is to and by how much
Whatever Big 12 team survives(OU or Tex)

If Bama wins out the SEC only gets 1 team in.

If Bama somehow loses..hold on to your butts....especially if any of ND, Clemson, or OSU lose. Michigan all of a sudden has a path to the playoff if they win out...but that might require beating OSU twice.

Can you imagine if Mich beats OSU in November then loses to them in the Big10 title game?

Last edited:

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So Ohio State is probably out of the mix

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If OSU beats Mich twice they could climb back in. Depends on the Big 12 at this point.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
UNC fires Larry Fedora.

About damn time.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Oklahoma should be in before OSU regardless of the Big 10 title. Can't justify a team losing by 29 to a 6-6 team in the playoff. If Oklahoma beats Texas, then they've beaten everyone on their schedule. The worst case scenario is Alabama loses to UGA and stays in the top 4. That means the playoff will only have 2 conferences represented and ND. Clemson looked awful vs USC Saturday, and with their unimpressive schedule, they certainly cant lose vs Pitt and make it in.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Oklahoma should be in before OSU regardless of the Big 10 title. Can't justify a team losing by 29 to a 6-6 team in the playoff. If Oklahoma beats Texas, then they've beaten everyone on their schedule. The worst case scenario is Alabama loses to UGA and stays in the top 4. That means the playoff will only have 2 conferences represented and ND. Clemson looked awful vs USC Saturday, and with their unimpressive schedule, they certainly cant lose vs Pitt and make it in.

I tend to agree. My only hesitation is that I think OSU could play Bama tougher than OU. Oklahoma probably loses by 20+ to Bama. They won't score nearly as easily against that Bama D. And they also won't be able to stop Bama's offense. Bama might score on each of their drives.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I tend to agree. My only hesitation is that I think OSU could play Bama tougher than OU. Oklahoma probably loses by 20+ to Bama. They won't score nearly as easily against that Bama D. And they also won't be able to stop Bama's offense. Bama might score on each of their drives.

Outside of UGA, my bet is OSU could score the most on Alabama. Don't think they could win but at least they could hang some points.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Ohio State's schedule much tougher than Oklahoma's, though. I think the best 4 teams are pretty clear...Bama, Clemson, ND, and Georgia. Not sure how it will all play out, though. I don't think there is much of a chance that OSU loses to Northwestern or Clemson loses to Pitt (lose to PSU 51-6 to start the year, lose to Miami 24-3 to end the year). I can see Texas beating Oklahoma again. Not really sure if Georgia can upset Bama. I'm guessing it will come down to the committee choosing between Oklahoma and Ohio State, and I think Ohio State is much 'better' than Oklahoma.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doubtful. OSU's defense is atrocious.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ohio State's schedule much tougher than Oklahoma's, though. I think the best 4 teams are pretty clear...Bama, Clemson, ND, and Georgia. Not sure how it will all play out, though. I don't think there is much of a chance that OSU loses to Northwestern or Clemson loses to Pitt (lose to PSU 51-6 to start the year, lose to Miami 24-3 to end the year). I can see Texas beating Oklahoma again. Not really sure if Georgia can upset Bama. I'm guessing it will come down to the committee choosing between Oklahoma and Ohio State, and I think Ohio State is much 'better' than Oklahoma.

Is it? The Big10 was terrible this year. Wisconsin sucked, MSU sucked, Iowa was it's usual quasi-bum self, Northwestern backed into winning the West and lost to Akron, Michigan was good. Penn St. was pretty good. Ohio St. at least beat them. The Big12 wasn't good this year but is Michigan better than Texas? Does the Penn St win really out do OU's other win over WVU? If OU beats Texas I don't think OSU has a real case. They lost to Purdue by 30 points. OU would have rectified their one loss to a Top 10 team.

I guess you'd look at each teams ranked wins(Using the AP poll for now) and Penn St=WVU, Tex=Mich, NW=Army, OU would tack on a win over a Top 25 Iowa St. and then you look at the loss of each team and clearly OU's is better. I think it will be similar to last year where everyone is debating this as though it's close but the committee will end up saying "It wasn't much of a debate. OSU lost to Purdue(Iowa) by 30 points, OU had comparable wins without such a big blemish"

Most SOS rankings I can find have OU and OSU within 5-10 spots of each other in SOS. Is that really enough to overcome a 29 point loss to Purdue?

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Is it? The Big10 was terrible this year. Wisconsin sucked, MSU sucked, Iowa was it's usual quasi-bum self, Northwestern backed into winning the West and lost to Akron, Michigan was good. Penn St. was pretty good. Ohio St. at least beat them. The Big12 wasn't good this year but is Michigan better than Texas? Does the Penn St win really out do OU's other win over WVU? If OU beats Texas I don't think OSU has a real case. They lost to Purdue by 30 points. OU would have rectified their one loss to a Top 10 team.

I guess you'd look at each teams ranked wins(Using the AP poll for now) and Penn St=WVU, Tex=Mich, NW=Army, OU would tack on a win over a Top 25 Iowa St. and then you look at the loss of each team and clearly OU's is better. I think it will be similar to last year where everyone is debating this as though it's close but the committee will end up saying "It wasn't much of a debate. OSU lost to Purdue(Iowa) by 30 points, OU had comparable wins without such a big blemish"

Most SOS rankings I can find have OU and OSU within 5-10 spots of each other in SOS. Is that really enough to overcome a 29 point loss to Purdue?

vs top 25 opponents = OSU 4-0 (5-0 if they beat Northwestern), Oklahoma 1-1