Fangio better change his plan

CBEARS32

Liked Posts:
If Vic runs our normal Defense the Bears will be in trouble. Playing off the WRs and giving major cushion is the norm. Brady will eat that up all day long. Brady is obviously the best in the game at ready Defenses. But Vic is going to have to start mixing up coverages and blitzes in this game. To have a shot of winning the game. I’m shocked how he didn’t try and send more guys last week. The front 4 was not getting there. But that’s what he does sits back.

I think we put points on the board. It’s Vic’s game plan that worries me. It seems like he rarely makes adjustments to me. He is going to have to go after Brady in the pocket there is know doubt about it. Mack will be on a bun ankle. So I’m curious to see how Vic generates pressure if the front four don’t get there. Let’s see how Vic does this week.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Vic hasn't blitzed because he hasn't needed to minus the MIA game. Our DL has been living in opponents back field. I think Mack will be fine come game time. I do agree he will have to dial up some exotic blitzes against Brady, but not as much as you think.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
If Vic runs our normal Defense the Bears will be in trouble. Playing off the WRs and giving major cushion is the norm. Brady will eat that up all day long. Brady is obviously the best in the game at ready Defenses. But Vic is going to have to start mixing up coverages and blitzes in this game. To have a shot of winning the game. I’m shocked how he didn’t try and send more guys last week. The front 4 was not getting there. But that’s what he does sits back.

I think we put points on the board. It’s Vic’s game plan that worries me. It seems like he rarely makes adjustments to me. He is going to have to go after Brady in the pocket there is know doubt about it. Mack will be on a bun ankle. So I’m curious to see how Vic generates pressure if the front four don’t get there. Let’s see how Vic does this week.

if i recall it doesnt end well for teams that blitz brady...while vic should have dialed up pressure against miami doing so against the pats does not seem to be the answer. Brady has shown throughout his career that he can make teams pay who choose to blitz. The bears front four will have to play lights out to keep the pressure on brady all game long.

richb688

Liked Posts:
I agree Vic is just too passive for me at times-just hot the Miami game---------hate the bend but don't brea defense. He seems to have problems over the 3 plus years trying to adapt to the other team- I am not his biggest fan

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I hate playing off receivers. I think it's weak. Lovie's defense did this all the time, and it used to drive me crazy watching every quarterback kill them with slants all day and night.

The only answer to the quick pass game IS to play press coverage and not allow that 5-10 yard cushion. I don't think it's in Vic's nature to make such a drastic change to his defense, so this could become a theme the rest of this year if he fails to adjust.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know. I think things would look a lot better if they just tackled. Too much RAC and YAC. Fix the tackling.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They need to play zone. The Patriots want you to play man and try and chase everyone down field.

They need to be more aggressive in doing so.

Tom will get his.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I think they'll be fine IF they tackle. I haven't seen it that bad since the Mel Tucker years.

I'm hoping Hicks will be running in a different gear since that's the team that let him go.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No. Fangio specifically gave Miami off coverage. That is not his norm at all. He plays coverage to be certain but off coverage is not the way he likes to play his defense.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Brady will get his. He knows where his hot reads are when you blitz, and he can sit back and pick you apart if you can't get to him with 4.

Mack will have to play as if his ankle is fine. Hicks needs to blow through the interior line. And above all else we need to remember how to tackle

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
I don't know. I think things would look a lot better if they just tackled. Too much RAC and YAC. Fix the tackling.

100% this. Bears missed almost as many tackles in one half of football as they did for the entire season. Otherwise, the D is fine.

Also, for people saying the DBs need to stop playing off, I think that's just partly because of the DBs we have. Fuller isn't really great as a press corner and he can't even get his head turned around when he has a 10 yard cushion. He'd get abused if he tried to play too much press IMO. Not really sure about Prince, maybe he could play closer, but in games, it looks like he's off the receiver even more than Fuller is. I feel like it's just dependent on the corner's skillset and Fangio tries to adjust? I dunno, but the bend and don't break philosophy can get a bit frustrating to watch.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Brady will get his, but the key is pressure in the middle that forces him to get out of the pocket , not just simply stepping up or sliding in the Pocket.

Plus, stopping the run is key also. I know that everyone is concerned about what Tom can do in the passing game, but the Patriots run the ball well with Sony Michael and James White.

Keys on Defense to me are
1. Stop the run
2. Pressure in the middle
3. Alternate coverage look, but he does need to have some press coverage.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Brady will get his, but the key is pressure in the middle that forces him to get out of the pocket , not just simply stepping up or sliding in the Pocket.

Plus, stopping the run is key also. I know that everyone is concerned about what Tom can do in the passing game, but the Patriots run the ball well with Sony Michael and James White.

1. Stop the run

Yup, pressure is all that really matters. If we get pressure like the MIA game the end result will be just like the MIA game.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

1. Stop the run

Yep. Brady is a master of stepping up in the pocket to buy more time. He isn't a QB like Rogers that excels scrambling outside of the pocket. Push up the middle by our DL is going to be key in this one.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
100% this. Bears missed almost as many tackles in one half of football as they did for the entire season. Otherwise, the D is fine.

Also, for people saying the DBs need to stop playing off, I think that's just partly because of the DBs we have. Fuller isn't really great as a press corner and he can't even get his head turned around when he has a 10 yard cushion. He'd get abused if he tried to play too much press IMO. Not really sure about Prince, maybe he could play closer, but in games, it looks like he's off the receiver even more than Fuller is. I feel like it's just dependent on the corner's skillset and Fangio tries to adjust? I dunno, but the bend and don't break philosophy can get a bit frustrating to watch.

I don't think you're understanding what is meant by off coverage. You can play man or zone in varying ways. Against the Phins Fangio elected to play everyone in off coverage. It was likely him giving too much respect to their speed on offense. The problem with that was that it forced the defense to far too often have to make one on one open field tackles on guys moving with a full head of steam at that point. Of course the heat came into play but for fucks sake it was 19 missed tackles and 15 in the 2nd half.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I don't think you're understanding what is meant by off coverage. You can play man or zone in varying ways. Against the Phins Fangio elected to play everyone in off coverage. It was likely him giving too much respect to their speed on offense. The problem with that was that it forced the defense to far too often have to make one on one open field tackles on guys moving with a full head of steam at that point. Of course the heat came into play but for fucks sake it was 19 missed tackles and 15 in the 2nd half.

I'd rather take a chance at seeing if BO could hit on some deep shots rather than giving Miami's playmakers the ball in space 20-30 times like we did.
It ended predictably...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I'd rather take a chance at seeing if BO could hit on some deep shots rather than giving Miami's playmakers the ball in space 20-30 times like we did.
It ended predictably...

Agree we gave Brock the throws that he is decent at by playing off.

I just wonder why Vic did not adjust?

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Until the man can stop getting a chubby every time he writes up a play in which his best rushers cover somebody, I'm pretty sure we're not gonna see much change. That and the other things said above, of course.