Is what Manny Machado did dirty?

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think it is. To me it looks like a complete accident. I don't think he would intentionally risk injury for something like that. Plus Machado himself said it was an accident. I thought it was classless for the Brewers to clear the bench and go after him for an accident. Yelich even said it was a dirty play by a dirty player. What a whiny quote from a whiny player is what I say about this baby back bitch. I swear the Brewers are always whining about something. They've got to be the whiniest players in the league. They're just upset they lost. Grow a pair and stop making excuses.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't think it is. To me it looks like a complete accident. I don't think he would intentionally risk injury for something like that. Plus Machado himself said it was an accident. I thought it was classless for the Brewers to clear the bench and go after him for an accident. Yelich even said it was a dirty play by a dirty player. What a whiny quote from a whiny player is what I say about this baby back bitch. I swear the Brewers are always whining about something. They've got to be the whiniest players in the league. They're just upset they lost. Grow a pair and stop making excuses.

My take on it was I can see why people think it was dirty based on the video. But my issue with that take is I don't see the motivation for him to do it on purpose. If he were trying to hurt the guy that wasn't much of an attempt. And I have no idea what message it would really be sending other than "hey keep your foot farther off the bag." On the contrary, I could see how it would also be an accident. I mean he could have thought the guy was going to move off the bag faster and would have more time than he did. Stuff like that happens and showing stuff in slow motion often takes out the reality of a situation because it seems like there is more time to decide things than there were.

Overall, if you have any doubt whether or not something is dirty then it's probably not that worthy of outrage. I suppose it's different if someone gets hurt and you're merely being careless rather than having an intent. I think you could at the very least argue Machado probably was a bit careless in how all this went down but I personally didn't find it to be that big of a deal.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Stevie Wonder weighs in on what he saw

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It was. If it wasn’t he wouldn’t have been fined.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I would consider it dirty if he really reared back and kicked him hard. This was more of a, move man deal.

Fatgular always takes up the base and needs to get told to move, but the entire organization is dirty and will take any advantage to slow runners down.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was. If it wasn’t he wouldn’t have been fined.

Wow, what great logic. I guess Sacco and Vanzetti were also guilty as well because if they weren't they wouldn't have been convicted.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If he meant to do that, he put himself at risk for injury too

He clipped the back of the leg with the top of his foot, which could of resulted in him tripping and falling himself

I think because he didn't fall, people think he did it on purpose

I think if anyone did anything on purpose, it was Aguilar staying on top of the bag after he caught the ball

Most to all firstbasemen immediately step off after the catch, not stand still

If Machado had fallen, the talk would of been on Aguilar standing on the bag after the catch

That my take

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
If he meant to do that, he put himself at risk for injury too

He clipped the back of the leg with the top of his foot, which could of resulted in him tripping and falling himself

I think because he didn't fall, people think he did it on purpose

I think if anyone did anything on purpose, it was Aguilar staying on top of the bag after he caught the ball

Most to all firstbasemen immediately step off after the catch, not stand still

If Machado had fallen, the talk would of been on Aguilar standing on the bag after the catch

That my take
Wrong

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
LOL. Now this is how you post. No long winded explanations...short and concise.
I love when there is video evidence then some guy gives a lengthy explanation on why we shouldnt believe our lying eyes.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love when there is video evidence then some guy gives a lengthy explanation on why we shouldnt believe our lying eyes.

There's video evidence of the incident happening. I asked if it was a dirty play not if it did or didn't happen. There's no way to tell from the video if it was on purpose or not so I took Manny's side.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wow, what great logic. I guess Sacco and Vanzetti were also guilty as well because if they weren't they wouldn't have been convicted.

Actually it is a great reason to believe. MLB doesn't toss fines out like candy. Just look how the Stroes just walked out of one.

He was inside of the basepath. That is fact. and he hit the base with his right foot first. That is fact. and his left foot (in fair territory) launched into Agulair's leg. again fact backed by video.

Dirty is dirty and MLB busted him for it.

The sad fact here is people are sucking him off because they want him to be a Cub. That bit is pathetic. This was happening in the other series to a unrelated player the gush fest would be more tame.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There's video evidence of the incident happening. I asked if it was a dirty play not if it did or didn't happen. There's no way to tell from the video if it was on purpose or not so I took Manny's side.

:assman:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Remember when another Dodger made a dirty slide and broke the opposing player's leg?

Goose22

Liked Posts:
Dirty play?

ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY!

I just pray the Cubs don't go all in on this tool. Given Addison Russell's situation, Machado would be a GREAT get IMHO, but his character and true colors have been put on display in the biggest series of his career!

Besides the "accidental" Karate Kid moment, when asked by Ken Rosenthal about not hustling out of the batter's box in Game #2 in the NLCS, he replied, “Obviously I’m not going to change, I’m not the type of player that’s going to be ‘Johnny Hustle,’ and run down the line and slide to first base and … you know, whatever can happen. That’s just not my personality, that’s not my cup of tea, that’s not who I am.’’ How well will that fit in with Joe's "Respect 90" mantra AND the rest of the clubhouse?

Dude is looking for a $300+ million payday! If he gets it, more power to him...I just hope it is not on the Cub's dime!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
but his character and true colors have been put on display in the biggest series of his career!

There's reports from execs that essentially say he's a good kid but he's immature. I think that is probably a fair way to say it. If we assume this was intentional which he denies, what was the intent here? I have a hard time calling it dirty because to me a dirty play is trying to hurt someone. I really don't think what he did was trying to hurt the guy.

If we can agree on that then I think if it was intentional you can call whatever it was immature. Was it dumb and if intentional should he not have done it? Sure. But 26 year olds make dumb immature decisions all the time. I don't see it as a disqualifying incident. If you can say without a doubt he was trying to hurt someone then sure I think that's disqualifying but IDK I just think it's overblown. I think it's something you just sit a guy down and say what are you doing? It's the entire reason you have vets around a young clubhouse because young kids do stupid things and need mentors.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There's reports from execs that essentially say he's a good kid but he's immature. I think that is probably a fair way to say it. If we assume this was intentional which he denies, what was the intent here? I have a hard time calling it dirty because to me a dirty play is trying to hurt someone. I really don't think what he did was trying to hurt the guy.

If we can agree on that then I think if it was intentional you can call whatever it was immature. Was it dumb and if intentional should he not have done it? Sure. But 26 year olds make dumb immature decisions all the time. I don't see it as a disqualifying incident. If you can say without a doubt he was trying to hurt someone then sure I think that's disqualifying but IDK I just think it's overblown. I think it's something you just sit a guy down and say what are you doing? It's the entire reason you have vets around a young clubhouse because young kids do stupid things and need mentors.

Don’t see that happening on the Cubs....well Rizzo did but not sure if it was blatant as that.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
Beck appears to be very tolerant of bad behavior. He doesn't have an issue with Chapman, Russell, or Machado.

Beck, what are your thoughts on Aaron Hernandez?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Don’t see that happening on the Cubs....well Rizzo did but not sure if it was blatant as that.

Not sure what you're saying here. Don't see what happening? Guys making dumb mistakes? There's plenty of examples I could bring out of the "playing the game the right way" variety if you want. Granted none of them other than the aforementioned Rizzo slide quite come to the level of physical contact. However, we've seen both Contreras and Baez have moments the team called them out for not playing the game the right way.

Regardless, to me it comes down to whether or not you think he was trying to hurt the guy. I don't see it. If you're trying to hurt a guy there's better ways. And because I don't see it that leads me to believe it was either unintentional or it was some sort of misguided attempt to send a message. If it's the latter I don't really approve of that either but I think that's an entirely different thing than a "dirty" play. As an example, you'll see several times a year pitchers throwing behind batters yet you rarely see them called "dirty." I don't agree with that behavior either but my point is that behavior is different than a pitcher throwing at someone's head which I would call dirty.

That's where I think you have vet players around to stop young people from making dumb mistakes. You'll notice the cubs don't throw at guys. And you'll also notice for the most part they play the game the right way and when guys like Contreras/Baez make mistakes they own it and get the behavior corrected. Who's telling Machado anything in Baltimore? They don't have a winning culture and he's one of the few guys who actually performed. LA is a bit different but they have a lot of young guys on that team. And we've seen how they've not really handled Puig very well either. And like I said, he's 26. If he's indeed a good kid as the report I saw suggests then you put him around the right people and all this dumb crap goes away.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beck appears to be very tolerant of bad behavior. He doesn't have an issue with Chapman, Russell, or Machado.

Beck, what are your thoughts on Aaron Hernandez?

Why are you comparing a good clean wholesome guy with two woman beaters?