WORLD SERIES: Boston Red Sox vs. LA Dodgers

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
The two situations are not close to each other for several reasons. First, Roberts has only been there since the 2016 season so that's three NLCS in a row and that's impressive, but unlike Maddon his contract is up now and he just lost his second World Series in a row and his mistakes in both were similar. If Roberts had another year on his deal, like Maddon does, there's no way they let him go but it is a team option. Second this is a young manager with three years of experience as opposed to the long career of success Maddon has had. Lastly if Maddon was in this situation with a team option I suspect the FO would have let him go, not because of egregious mistakes but because they could without firing him and a chance to move on with a clear vision forward. The Dodgers are going into a time when they will be dominant for years. Their MLB team is in decent shape and their farm system is stacked. If they were to have even the slightest doubts about Roberts this is the time to move on. Lastly, I never said he they wouldn't pick up the option, but rather simply questioning it. Ten minutes after I posted this MLB Network Radio was speculating on the same thing because of the bigger picture I've discussed here so it's not out of left field or something.

I think they will exercise the option and see what happens next year.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The two situations are not close to each other for several reasons. First, Roberts has only been there since the 2016 season so that's three NLCS in a row and that's impressive, but unlike Maddon his contract is up now and he just lost his second World Series in a row and his mistakes in both were similar. If Roberts had another year on his deal, like Maddon does, there's no way they let him go but it is a team option. Second this is a young manager with three years of experience as opposed to the long career of success Maddon has had. Lastly if Maddon was in this situation with a team option I suspect the FO would have let him go, not because of egregious mistakes but because they could without firing him and a chance to move on with a clear vision forward. The Dodgers are going into a time when they will be dominant for years. Their MLB team is in decent shape and their farm system is stacked. If they were to have even the slightest doubts about Roberts this is the time to move on. Lastly, I never said he they wouldn't pick up the option, but rather simply questioning it. Ten minutes after I posted this MLB Network Radio was speculating on the same thing because of the bigger picture I've discussed here so it's not out of left field or something.

Very likely. All I said was I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't pick it up. Surprised, yes, but not shocked. One thing that's different now is that conventional wisdom has always been that you never leave a manager, or general manager for that matter, in place for a potential "lame duck" year. That convention appears to be all but gone since Joe Girardi managed in his walk year, Joe Maddon is about to and both manager Buck Showalter and GM Dan Duquette were left in place with expiring contracts. Girardi, Showalter adn Duquette were ultimately let go. We'll see with Maddon and LA has a decision to make.

Mitchapalooza

4 in 15 years. Never going to a game 7. I love being a Red Sox fan. If only the Bears would follow suit.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

I guess part of it is how the front orifice feels about Cody Bellinger. Sure seems to me like a guy you just let play, let play out of slumps, let play out of his pure desire, let play because he is the best glove at first base. But starting at first, moving to cf, then being replaced (whenever I saw him play at least) was really screwy. this is a guy with 25 home runs 76 rbi's being removed in late innings. Kind of like how Maddon handled Schwarber when he did start. Takes the game changer out of the game in late innings.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I guess part of it is how the front orifice feels about Cody Bellinger. Sure seems to me like a guy you just let play, let play out of slumps, let play out of his pure desire, let play because he is the best glove at first base. But starting at first, moving to cf, then being replaced (whenever I saw him play at least) was really screwy. this is a guy with 25 home runs 76 rbi's being removed in late innings. Kind of like how Maddon handled Schwarber when he did start. Takes the game changer out of the game in late innings.

End of the day he got them to the play offs 3 times. WS 2x. Both times he was facing a superior team. He lost to a superior Cubs the year before. So he is beating who he is suppose to and losing vs who he is suppose to. I don't see them moving on from him. He is affect neutral and that has value.