WORLD SERIES: Boston Red Sox vs. LA Dodgers

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
So how many games will it take the Red Sox to dispose of the Dodgers? I'll say 6 though I think it could easily be 5.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I am going to take Dodgers in 7 with two stellar starts from Kershaw

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I am going to take Dodgers in 7 with two stellar starts from Kershaw

Bold prediction. Even if the Red Sox weren't my number 2 team I couldn't go with LA in the series. I don't think the Dodgers are close to as talented as Houston and Boston dispatched them in 5. I expect the same result this series. All that said the longer it goes the more the advantage shifts to LA, but I'd be shocked if it goes 6 games and flabbergasted if it goes 7.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Boston in 6. David Price series MVP.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
SO is tonight's matchup the greatest in our lifetimes?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This is going to get ugly. Gagne let Cora know about the tipping going on with their closer. That advantage is nil and Boston has the best closer in Baseball back.

Dodgers are getting spanked

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
ANd he could be great and whiff 14 in 7

I took a deep dive into the numbers last night and here are some things to watch early. Boston is the least susceptible team in MLB to the low and away slider and that has been Kershaw's best pitch lately. Boston doesn't do well with against lefties with a high spin rate curve though and of course that has long been a strength of Kershaw's, the trouble is that he hasn't been able to command that pitch very well going back to September. If he can figure it out then he has a deadly out pitch to go along with his fastball, which has been in the 94-96 mph range recently. If he can't command it and they figure that out he could be ion a lot of trouble. I suspect he's going to go fastball early, maybe try the slider a little bit but then try that curve especially when he's ahead on the count. Bottom line is that Boston is not a good matchup for him, maybe even a terrible one, if he can't command that curve.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I took a deep dive into the numbers last night and here are some things to watch early. Boston is the least susceptible team in MLB to the low and away slider and that has been Kershaw's best pitch lately. Boston doesn't do well with against lefties with a high spin rate curve though and of course that has long been a strength of Kershaw's, the trouble is that he hasn't been able to command that pitch very well going back to September. If he can figure it out then he has a deadly out pitch to go along with his fastball, which has been in the 94-96 mph range recently. If he can't command it and they figure that out he could be ion a lot of trouble. I suspect he's going to go fastball early, maybe try the slider a little bit but then try that curve especially when he's ahead on the count. Bottom line is that Boston is not a good matchup for him, maybe even a terrible one, if he can't command that curve.

What about the wildcard factor of Sale being hurt?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
What about the wildcard factor of Sale being hurt?

I was just addressing it from the Kershaw standpoint, but sure Sale is a question mark. The fact that he lost 10 lbs. in the hospital is a serious concern in terms of stamina and possibly velo. That said his numbers against hitters like some of the guys he will face are pretty solid. His splits against righties are less than his numbers against lefties but he dominates both. His FIP against righties is 2.19, against lefties it's 1.03. Virtually every split you can name opponents don't reach .600 OPS against him and in most the number is closer to .400. That includes high, medium and low leverage situations. He doesn't throw the curve nearly as much as he used to but the slider has been a good pitch for him all year long. If he's missing a little velo on the fastball he should be able to make up for it although the change won't be as effective, obviously. If he's 80% or better he should dominate this lineup, but of course baseball is gonna baseball. Wouldn't shock me if we're talking about a 12-10 game tomorrow, but I don't think so.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Hope Boston sweeps and we can get on with the offseason

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Only if you're a toddler

Did we not see the stat of this being a matchup of two starters with career sub 3.00 era minimum 1000 innings/1000K? I believe only time that has happened for a game 1. so yeah, I am going to say this is the best, care to show otherwise?

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
Did we not see the stat of this being a matchup of two starters with career sub 3.00 era minimum 1000 innings/1000K? I believe only time that has happened for a game 1. so yeah, I am going to say this is the best, care to show otherwise?

I don't care about meaningless stats. Off the top of my head one that immediately comes to mind is 2001 World Series Game 7. Clemens vs. Schilling.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't care about meaningless stats. Off the top of my head one that immediately comes to mind is 2001 World Series Game 7. Clemens vs. Schilling.

Yeah, nice matchup, but no, not better.

And btw, that was game 7. Not applicable

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
Yeah, nice matchup, but no, not better.

And btw, that was game 7. Not applicable

Your initial post was "SO is tonight's matchup the greatest in our lifetimes?" You didn't say the greatest World Series Game 1 matchup of our lifetimes. So Game 7 is fine.

And yes, it was better. Clemens better than Kershaw and Schilling definitely better than Sale.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Your initial post was "SO is tonight's matchup the greatest in our lifetimes?" You didn't say the greatest World Series Game 1 matchup of our lifetimes. So Game 7 is fine.

And yes, it was better. Clemens better than Kershaw and Schilling definitely better than Sale.

It was implied and the followup stated.

That said, No one selects Clemens over Kershaw.

Schilling v Sale is close, for now. Won't be when it's all said and done.