Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Will the sox be returning to prominence in a couple of years?

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    632

    Default Will the sox be returning to prominence in a couple of years?

    With all the young talent supposedly getting ready to join the team next season and the following one are the sox close to being a player in the post season? God I miss 2005 it seems light years away. Watching the World Series right now my one thought is will white sox be playing in it soon? Thoughts? Hopes? doubts?

  2. #2
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    I would think they'd have to be close. They have Jimenez coming up next year and hopefully Cease, Dunning, and Burdi make it as well. Guys like Madrigal, Robert, Sheets, maybe Rutherford should be 2020 or after. Unfortunately there have a been a ton of injuries from our prospects, so what we should be hoping for is a little help in the health department the next few years.

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    632

    Default

    maybe some free agents also

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Madrigal might even be sooner

  5. #5
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richb688 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Madrigal might even be sooner
    I don't know man, they held Jimenez down and claimed it was because they didn't want him to jump 3 levels in one year. That would be pretty damn shady if they did that with one of their prospects the very next year. There's a good chance he gets to Charlotte this year though.

  6. #6
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Realistically the team isn't going to be playoff ready for two more seasons. Earliest 2020, likely 2021
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  7. #7
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Realistically the team isn't going to be playoff ready for two more seasons. Earliest 2020, likely 2021
    I think you're right. Though the division is really really bad, so I suppose anything can happen next year. I wouldn't be surprised though if they had a chance at .500 by the end of the year or slightly above.

  8. #8
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you're right. Though the division is really really bad, so I suppose anything can happen next year. I wouldn't be surprised though if they had a chance at .500 by the end of the year or slightly above.
    Nor would I, but Cleveland is still the team to beat and it's not like their minor's is completely baron either.

    For us it's going to take a year or two to get kids up and give them 500-1000 PAs to acclamate to the bigs.
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  9. #9
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    I mean even Chris Sale wasn't the ace starter for a couple of seasons.
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  10. #10
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nor would I, but Cleveland is still the team to beat and it's not like their minor's is completely baron either.

    For us it's going to take a year or two to get kids up and give them 500-1000 PAs to acclamate to the bigs.
    Yeah, all the injuries to the kids in the minors set back the timetable a year in my opinion. Guys lost a lot of valuable playing time.

  11. #11
    Super Nintendo Chalmers Czar Nicholas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon, OH
    Posts
    6,978

    Default

    Lmao nah.

    05 was our one in a million.
    Miguel Cabrera: "I may have beaten Trout for the MVP, but it doesn't compare to when I beat my wife."

  12. #12
    All-Star Diehardfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western Burbs
    Posts
    6,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Czar Nicholas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lmao nah.

    05 was our one in a million.
    Under Kenny Williams, that would be correct....actually, no it wouldn't. At least it was not just him....in over 100 years of existence the White Sox have never played post season baseball in back to back seasons. The only season they even won a post season series of any kind was in 2005. Think about that for a second. That kind of ineptness is what Hahn is trying to end....build a team that contend regularly for 5-6 seasons. No more one and done. Build a young base then when you know what you have...fill in with a few FA's. He's well on his way....just let him finish what he started.

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    632

    Default

    I feel Hahn is doing a good job-but they do need to get some good free agents this off season.

  14. #14
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richb688 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I feel Hahn is doing a good job-but they do need to get some good free agents this off season.
    I disagree, It's a year early and so I can easily see them wait another season.
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  15. #15
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree, It's a year early and so I can easily see them wait another season.
    I'm not sure what free agents are coming out next year, but I think it'll depend on who they think fits the best with the core they've built. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after someone this year especially with how low their payroll is. However, if they do go after someone, they better not low ball them again like they did Cespedes. They better not come and tell us they're all in on a player and then come to hear they're 10's of millions off on a deal.

  16. #16
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure what free agents are coming out next year, but I think it'll depend on who they think fits the best with the core they've built. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after someone this year especially with how low their payroll is. However, if they do go after someone, they better not low ball them again like they did Cespedes. They better not come and tell us they're all in on a player and then come to hear they're 10's of millions off on a deal.
    The team often makes great offers to players. See Belle and Rodriguez.

    For a top guy to come here and know it's two years away the offer will have to be top notch. Not sure we should move yet.
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  17. #17
    All-Star Diehardfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western Burbs
    Posts
    6,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The team often makes great offers to players. See Belle and Rodriguez.

    For a top guy to come here and know it's two years away the offer will have to be top notch. Not sure we should move yet.
    I agree. These days with some of these guys making more than they can spend in a lifetime...they are looking more for a spot than just money. I mean, if the guy is good enough....he can get big money anywhere he goes so finding a good fit is probably bigger now than it's been in a very long time. It would take a rather large leap of faith for someone to sign here hoping to win now. That's what I meant about letting Hahn finish what he started....if this team turns the corner within the next two years, they will have players drooling to get their foot in the door.

  18. #18
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The team often makes great offers to players. See Belle and Rodriguez.

    For a top guy to come here and know it's two years away the offer will have to be top notch. Not sure we should move yet.
    Need to improve the bullpen by free agency and maybe 3rd base.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •