White Sox Eyeing R.Soriano? Done Spending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he is throwing like they say he has been throwing and comes back with the same mechanics, and no change in the arm slot he can be an ace, the question will be if his injury will comeback. When he was aquired by the sox that same year he looked good, but his delivery was not the same, he continued to throw with a different delivery in the 2010 season which got him shelled, he than realized what he was doing, went back to his old ways of throwing, looked good again and got hurt.

so can he be an ace? yes. can his injury comeback? yes, that is the main worry.

That's 4 question marks. 4 pretty big question marks. Sure, he can come back, but to rely on that is pretty silly. Like I said, be happy if he is a #3.
I guess Cubs fans have to be cynical on our forum because their team is a complete joke and is going to be irrelevant for the foreseeable future. Go back to the Cubs forum and talk about how Andrew Cashner is a future Cy Young winner, while your team won't even sniff a pennant. Leave us to talk about our team that will be competing for a Commissioner's Trophy.

:obama: Yeah, we're going to be irrelevant, because it's not like we're in the NL Central or anything where it is pretty easy to win the division. I'm pretty sure that no one has said Cash Money will be a future Cy Young winner, so try again. Good Luck with that Commissioner's Trophy dream!

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
:obama: Yeah, we're going to be irrelevant, because it's not like we're in the NL Central or anything where it is pretty easy to win the division. I'm pretty sure that no one has said Cash Money will be a future Cy Young winner, so try again. Good Luck with that Commissioner's Trophy dream!

NL Central has been awful for some time now, you would think in the last 100 years... well a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Trophies.jpg

Your intentions were very clear when you said Thornton, Santos, Crain, Sale, and Soriano wouldn't be "damn good." You have to be kidding me, that bullpen would be one of the best in all of baseball. Again go back to trolling the Cubs forum if you're just going to make ridiculous statements on this one.

Last edited:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
NL Central has been awful for some time now, you would think in the last 100 years... well a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Trophies.jpg

Your intentions were very clear when you said Thornton, Santos, Crain, Sale, and Soriano wouldn't be "damn good." You have to be kidding me, that bullpen would be one of the best in all of baseball. Again go back to trolling the Cubs forum if you're just going to make ridiculous statements on this one.

Well, considering the NL Central has only been in existence for 16 years, 100 is just a bit off the mark there.

Thornton is about to be 35 at the end of the year. He is ready for a big decline in numbers. He K'd one more batter per 9 than he has ever done in his career, last year and 2 more than his average. If you seriously think he is going to continue to put up those numbers, you are just ignorant.

Santos has barely pitched 50 IP in the big leagues. Have you ever heard of a sophomore slump? He is going to need to get those BB's down, or else he will get shelled. You can't seriously expect him to put up those numbers again based off of ~50 IP.

Crain is really nothing special at all.

Sale has pitched a total of 23 innings. You can't go and say he will be this great reliever/closer off of 23 innings, albeit very very good innings.

Soriano would be the best bet to have the same kind of success, but there are still some big question marks like can his walk rate stay that low? Can his HR rate and HR/FB rate stay that low? Can his LOB% stay that low? He is also almost certain to not be as lucky with the BABIP Gods. There is no way in hell he continues to see a BABIP below .220.

Now, I'm not saying they can't see this kind of success again. However, to think that all 5 of them will, is a bit ridiculous. They will have a good bullpen, but it more than likely will not be as good as you think. That being said, I do not think they should go out and get Soriano. He is going to cost wayyyy too much. He's just a closer, they can fill that on the cheap, in house.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
The no world series in 100 years joke...

so original.

Just wish it wasnt true :)

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
The no world series in 100 years joke...

so original.

Just wish it wasnt true :)

The fact that it is in fact true and so pathetic (especially considering the payroll) precludes it from every becoming old. :)

Also on Chris Sale not being able to match last season... Joe Mauer has said himself that Sale is one of the hardest pitchers to hit that he has ever faced.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fact that it is in fact true and so pathetic (especially considering the payroll) precludes it from every becoming old. :)

Also on Chris Sale not being able to match last season... Joe Mauer has said himself that Sale is one of the hardest pitchers to hit that he has ever faced.

That's great. I never said Sale didn't have great stuff. However, great stuff does not equal performance. There is about no way in hell he can continue to put up a 12.2 LD%. His 90% LOB% is pretty much unsustainable, too.

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
I stopped taking this relapse fella seriously after his "NL Central has been awful for some time now, you would think in the last 100 years." lmao

To be honest I am not a fan of baseball at all. I just enjoy the fair weather when it's around the Cell and I love to hate yuppie Cubs fans. I am a die hard football and hockey fan but when it comes to baseball you're dead on, I know dick about it.

Hate me for being a fair weather fan all you want, at least I can admit it. Baseball in general bores me.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's 4 question marks. 4 pretty big question marks. Sure, he can come back, but to rely on that is pretty silly. Like I said, be happy if he is a #3.

for me, been there done that, anymore would just be gravy. something the cubs havent done in quite sometime, and that trend will probably continue for a bit longer.

jbrown60180

Liked Posts:
Well, considering the NL Central has only been in existence for 16 years, 100 is just a bit off the mark there.

Thornton is about to be 35 at the end of the year. He is ready for a big decline in numbers. He K'd one more batter per 9 than he has ever done in his career, last year and 2 more than his average. If you seriously think he is going to continue to put up those numbers, you are just ignorant.

Santos has barely pitched 50 IP in the big leagues. Have you ever heard of a sophomore slump? He is going to need to get those BB's down, or else he will get shelled. You can't seriously expect him to put up those numbers again based off of ~50 IP.

Crain is really nothing special at all.

Sale has pitched a total of 23 innings. You can't go and say he will be this great reliever/closer off of 23 innings, albeit very very good innings.

Soriano would be the best bet to have the same kind of success, but there are still some big question marks like can his walk rate stay that low? Can his HR rate and HR/FB rate stay that low? Can his LOB% stay that low? He is also almost certain to not be as lucky with the BABIP Gods. There is no way in hell he continues to see a BABIP below .220.

Now, I'm not saying they can't see this kind of success again. However, to think that all 5 of them will, is a bit ridiculous. They will have a good bullpen, but it more than likely will not be as good as you think. That being said, I do not think they should go out and get Soriano. He is going to cost wayyyy too much. He's just a closer, they can fill that on the cheap, in house.

Your whole argument in this post is basically saying that all their numbers were too good last year. So your plan to fill out a bullpen is to get guys with bad numbers last year because relievers with good numbers couldn't possibly do it two years in a row.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Your whole argument in this post is basically saying that all their numbers were too good last year. So your plan to fill out a bullpen is to get guys with bad numbers last year because relievers with good numbers couldn't possibly do it two years in a row.

That is not what I said at all. The numbers they had are not going to be sustainable. They will still have a very good bullpen. However, to think they will all be as good as they were last year is pretty silly.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is not what I said at all. The numbers they had are not going to be sustainable. They will still have a very good bullpen. However, to think they will all be as good as they were last year is pretty silly.

bullpens fluctuate year to year, one of the most inconsistent areas of baseball. so it isnt "silly" to say they will be as good as last year or even better, it can go either way.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
bullpens fluctuate year to year, one of the most inconsistent areas of baseball. so it isnt "silly" to say they will be as good as last year or even better, it can go either way.

It is "silly" to think that they will improve, simply because of regression. Yeah, they could... but it is highly unlikely.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
right because sergio santos, and chris sale are on the decline. :rolleyes: you talk out of your ass in every thread everyday.

Where did I say that? I am pretty sure that I stated several times that it is too soon to say anything either way. The fact of the matter is that the jury is still out on both of them. They have areas where they need to improve, however they have had success. Way to put words in my mouth. :clap:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where did I say that? I am pretty sure that I stated several times that it is too soon to say anything either way. The fact of the matter is that the jury is still out on both of them. They have areas where they need to improve, however they have had success. Way to put words in my mouth. :clap:

regression much?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
regression much?

Odds are they will regress. Unless you think that Sale will be better than Mariano Rivera throughout his career... Santos certainly has a much better chance of sustaining his numbers, due to larger sample size and a high BABIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.