Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cole Hamels is open to returning to Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by Castor76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That I know and thank you. What I am asking is if he were to sign an extension could it be written so that it would lessen the 20M hit for 2019?
    I believe They would of had to deny the option, and then resign him to a new deal

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I believe They would of had to deny the option, and then resign him to a new deal
    Considering the raises another year Baez plays like he did and KB turning things around, it would be better off swallowing it this year and try to get him for 2-25 if he still wants to play baseball. Cole to me seems like a guy that wants to go out strong and not drag things out if his drive is going away.
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

All-Star

I know Maddon is more knowledgeable about everything that goes on, but Almora has done well when batting lead off. He has about .360 OBP in about 500 PA. I'm onto Harper for 3 main reasons. 1) He's been very good the past 4 years RISP w/ 2 Outs. Something the Cubs struggle with at times. 2) Purely opinion, but I think he would revitalize the drive to win another title. That could be done simply by being bounced in the Wild Card, I admit. 3) I don't want him going to any other team that could prevent the Cubs from winning another series.

Rookie

He won't be back after this year unless he has a Cy Young caliber season and then the Cubs would pay him like $6-8M a year for a year after that. No more long term contracts. $20 was a huge waste because they should have declined the option and let him become a free agent and signed him for less than $10M a year. This goes in line with wasteful spending on marginal players.

Quote Originally Posted by erwiggins123 View Post
    he won't be back after this year unless he has a cy young caliber season and then the cubs would pay him like $6-8m a year for a year after that. No more long term contracts. $20 was a huge waste because they should have declined the option and let him become a free agent and signed him for less than $10m a year. This goes in line with wasteful spending on marginal players.
    wtf???????? Lolololo
    Democrats only plan: take care of illegals then tax Americans to pay for it

Really who is ‘he’. I’m guessing it is Cole.

And cy-Young caliber (6-8 WAR) and rewarding him with a replacement value reward (0 WAR).

Here is the thing. They most likely will not retain Cole past this year. They are already over paying Lester on declining production and I highly doubt they want 2 anchors hauling them under.

They invested into Yu going forward. That is where everything starts. So this year it is more about getting him healthy so he is not the focus with a vet staff surrounding him. After Cole drops off I can see them tinkering with a internal replacement. Chatwood rebounding would be the cost dictated answer. They are paying him anyways approach so get that rerun value. Other answers are Montgomery or any of the AAA projects panning out.

So I wouldn’t concern myself with spending on Cole. But don’t post 8M reward for cy-Young production. 20M is acceptable due to age depressing his earning capacity

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    They'll go above the tax.
    The Cubs are at about $225M in salary. But they're going to lose over $60M in payroll after this season. Once we lose Hamels, Kintzler, Morrow, Cishek, and Dunsing. None of whom we will resign. If we offer Harper $30M were less than $200M in payroll. So one season over the tax which the Cubs can easily payed, they will be back under $200M. We should have traded Ian Happ and a couple prospects for Jean Segura and Edwin Diaz. Unless the Cubs go crazy after January we will be stuck with only Descalso. This is ridiculous, the best free agent class in history and we don't sign anyone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123