Cole Hamels is open to returning to Cubs

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Rosenthal, apparently the guy that started all the Maddon bad blood, claims the cubs need to clear salary before exercising the option on Hamels.

If they are at 188 and tax is 206, how are people even considering they sign Machado or Harper?
They have until ST to clear out any salary

Im sure their focus is to stay under Tier 3 of the tax

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
It's more that Smyly was vastly overrated around here.

You mean he wasn't going to come in and dominate as a No. 3 starter?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's more that Smyly was vastly overrated around here.

If he had low value he wouldn’t be a easy trade. That deal happened because his hit vs tax was 5M and that is a complete bargain for a rotation arm. Pricy for a pen arm.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If he had low value he wouldn’t be a easy trade. That deal happened because his hit vs tax was 5M and that is a complete bargain for a rotation arm. Pricy for a pen arm.

A guy who hasn't thrown a pitch in MLB in two years is hardly a bargain, at any price.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
A guy who hasn't thrown a pitch in MLB in two years is hardly a bargain, at any price.

I’ll call BS on this one. Too many times pitchers come back better. Rangers IMO are getting a steal. Guess they thought so also because the did it with out batting a eye.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just of it and it makes sense here:

In essence, then, the reportedly forthcoming trade is a somewhat creative means of the Cubs retaining Hamels while still receiving the benefit of the same level of financial compensation from the Texas organization — if not a bit more. The Rangers will absorb either all of Smyly’s $7MM salary or, speculatively speaking, could agree to pay $6MM of that sum with the Cubs eating $1MM in cost in order to keep the dollars at the same level they’d have been had Texas merely paid the buyout.

In the end, the Rangers will receive a desperately needed rotation piece, while the Cubs will retain the former Phillies ace who immediately won the hearts of Cubs fans with an otherworldly run of success following the trade. Hamels allowed just five runs, total, through his first seven starts with the Cubs and finished out the season with a 2.36 ERA in 76 1/3 innings for the Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like a PTBNL from each side. Doubt any impact. But it gives the 6M opt relief in effect.

I’m not sure about the current state post trade/resign. But it has to be right around 206M. Sad thing is Kintzler pulling his 5M caused this issue so I’m guessing he is going to be viewed poorly this upcoming.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Sounds like a PTBNL from each side. Doubt any impact. But it gives the 6M opt relief in effect.

I’m not sure about the current state post trade/resign. But it has to be right around 206M. Sad thing is Kintzler pulling his 5M caused this issue so I’m guessing he is going to be viewed poorly this upcoming.

Why? Team option for Kintzler was 10 million. The point is, if they are so worried about even touching the low end of the threshold, then why should fans believe they will sign a 30 million dollar man and reach the upper threshold?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I’ll call BS on this one. Too many times pitchers come back better. Rangers IMO are getting a steal. Guess they thought so also because the did it with out batting a eye.

If they did not do it, they could have owed Hamels 6 million for absolutely nothing.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Yes,moving Smyly was due to CCS overrating him.

Obviously not what I said, but you do you.

MLB pitchers should be jumping for joy when they tear their UCLs? I had no idea.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Obviously not what I said, but you do you.

MLB pitchers should be jumping for joy when they tear their UCLs? I had no idea.

When surgeon Frank Jobe, MD, performed the first UCL reconstruction on Tommy John in 1974, a torn UCL tear was considered to be a game-ending injury for most players.

But now, up to 85% of patients who undergo this surgery are able to resume their sport at, or even above, their previous level of competition.

WebMD Medical Reference Reviewed by Tyler Wheeler, MD on October 24, 2017

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
When surgeon Frank Jobe, MD, performed the first UCL reconstruction on Tommy John in 1974, a torn UCL tear was considered to be a game-ending injury for most players.

But now, up to 85% of patients who undergo this surgery are able to resume their sport at, or even above, their previous level of competition.

WebMD Medical Reference Reviewed by Tyler Wheeler, MD on October 24, 2017
I think you'll start seeing less and less improvement after Tommy John. What made pitchers better after Tommy John is the training they received and continued to do. Now the majority are doing that type of training before needing TJ.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think you'll start seeing less and less improvement after Tommy John. What made pitchers better after Tommy John is the training they received and continued to do. Now the majority are doing that type of training before needing TJ.

Part of it is the replacement tendon comes from a stronger tendon in the body or a donor.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
If Hamels were to sign an extension, e.g. 2 more years for 25 M more, would that take his CBT down to 15 M if they wanted?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If Hamels were to sign an extension, e.g. 2 more years for 25 M more, would that take his CBT down to 15 M if they wanted?

No done deal.

Cubs took the 20M opt. Traded Smyly for 7M to offset the hit.