Cole Hamels is open to returning to Cubs

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If Hamels were to sign an extension, e.g. 2 more years for 25 M more, would that take his CBT down to 15 M if they wanted?
They picked up his option for 20 mil
So by trading Smyley and his 7

Like their paying him 13

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Payroll:
14.5M for player benefits
40 man in minors: 2.25M

Lester: 25,833,333
Heyward: 23M
Darvish: 21M
Hamels: 20M
Zobrist: 14M
Chatwood: 12,666,667
Quintana: 10.5M
Morrow: 10.5M
Cishek: 6.5M
Strop: 6.25M
Rizzo: 5,857,143
Kintzler: 5M
Duesing 3.5M
(164857,143}
Arb cases: 42.250M est

So realistically you would want to remove 15M. Chatwood is unmovable so lets don't conciser this one. Zobrist would be a prime mover at 14M but I doubt they do this. Not with Joe under contract. If he was removed then way more likely.

What I feel is more intellegent is to trade Chatwood for Fowler. They need a lead off type and it worked before. Fowlers hit is $16,500,000 so it pushes payroll up 3,833,333. So just over 225M That point trading Russell's projected 5.25M for a A ball player drops it back to 220M.

So Line up would be:

Fowler
Bryant
Rizzo
Zobrist
Baez
Heyward
Contreras
Schwarber

At this point they can start to invest into the pen.
Pen is:
Morrow 9th
Strop 8th
Cishek 7th

Montgomery
Kintzler
Duesing

Edwards in 1st Arb case and Rosario as hold overs. This feels a bit train wreck and a high leverage lefty would be nice and using trade chips would be ideal.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
They picked up his option for 20 mil
So by trading Smyley and his 7

Like their paying him 13

That I know and thank you. What I am asking is if he were to sign an extension could it be written so that it would lessen the 20M hit for 2019?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I doubt it. The 20M was a deal with the Rangers and the Cubs I acted it. They would have had to not offer and the Rangers pick up the 6 as per contract. Then they could have written up a new working deal to the ire of the Rangers.

I just dont think that the Cubs want to be stuck to him more that this year. Age is a part of it but this ties to giving Joe a last shot. I could easily see a OF upgrade. Almora pretty much was assed our after they picked up Murphy so it is a area of opertunity. I just don’t see them viewing Almora as every day. Thus the Chatwood for Fowler idea. It fills a need and removes a 6-7 starter. And spending 13M on a mop up is fucking stupid.

In reality if you in theory bought Harper it would be to split up Bryant and Baez. Which Rizzo is doing ATM. Which would free up Rizzo to lead off again. Fowler is a far cheaper resolution here. In reality Harper is 15HR more. Rest are wash. I just see Fowler’s skill set more suited to playing in Wrigley.
But for a 4 mil increase vs a 30M increase which is a smarter choice. Fowler fueled 2016. Add to it he is still 32. So a rebound is within his capacity

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That I know and thank you. What I am asking is if he were to sign an extension could it be written so that it would lessen the 20M hit for 2019?
I believe They would of had to deny the option, and then resign him to a new deal

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I believe They would of had to deny the option, and then resign him to a new deal

Considering the raises another year Baez plays like he did and KB turning things around, it would be better off swallowing it this year and try to get him for 2-25 if he still wants to play baseball. Cole to me seems like a guy that wants to go out strong and not drag things out if his drive is going away.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I know Maddon is more knowledgeable about everything that goes on, but Almora has done well when batting lead off. He has about .360 OBP in about 500 PA. I'm onto Harper for 3 main reasons. 1) He's been very good the past 4 years RISP w/ 2 Outs. Something the Cubs struggle with at times. 2) Purely opinion, but I think he would revitalize the drive to win another title. That could be done simply by being bounced in the Wild Card, I admit. 3) I don't want him going to any other team that could prevent the Cubs from winning another series.

erwiggins123

Liked Posts:
He won't be back after this year unless he has a Cy Young caliber season and then the Cubs would pay him like $6-8M a year for a year after that. No more long term contracts. $20 was a huge waste because they should have declined the option and let him become a free agent and signed him for less than $10M a year. This goes in line with wasteful spending on marginal players.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
he won't be back after this year unless he has a cy young caliber season and then the cubs would pay him like $6-8m a year for a year after that. No more long term contracts. $20 was a huge waste because they should have declined the option and let him become a free agent and signed him for less than $10m a year. This goes in line with wasteful spending on marginal players.
wtf???????? Lolololo

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Really who is ‘he’. I’m guessing it is Cole.

And cy-Young caliber (6-8 WAR) and rewarding him with a replacement value reward (0 WAR).

Here is the thing. They most likely will not retain Cole past this year. They are already over paying Lester on declining production and I highly doubt they want 2 anchors hauling them under.

They invested into Yu going forward. That is where everything starts. So this year it is more about getting him healthy so he is not the focus with a vet staff surrounding him. After Cole drops off I can see them tinkering with a internal replacement. Chatwood rebounding would be the cost dictated answer. They are paying him anyways approach so get that rerun value. Other answers are Montgomery or any of the AAA projects panning out.

So I wouldn’t concern myself with spending on Cole. But don’t post 8M reward for cy-Young production. 20M is acceptable due to age depressing his earning capacity

erwiggins123

Liked Posts:
They'll go above the tax.

The Cubs are at about $225M in salary. But they're going to lose over $60M in payroll after this season. Once we lose Hamels, Kintzler, Morrow, Cishek, and Dunsing. None of whom we will resign. If we offer Harper $30M were less than $200M in payroll. So one season over the tax which the Cubs can easily payed, they will be back under $200M. We should have traded Ian Happ and a couple prospects for Jean Segura and Edwin Diaz. Unless the Cubs go crazy after January we will be stuck with only Descalso. This is ridiculous, the best free agent class in history and we don't sign anyone.