Thread: Report: Cubs considering bringing back Addison Russell

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by zack54attack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So Friday is the deadline?
    Yes

about 11 hours from now
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

Bruce says they are going to tender him.

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/s...75378049048578
    I'm a Chicagoan till Chicago ends,
    Till we blow like Chicago wind

Hidden Content

yeah, we all figure he will be tendered, but will it be for 2.5?

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
    yeah, we all figure he will be tendered, but will it be for 2.5?
    That's not how tendering works.... Tendering just means they aren't releasing him. You are essentially saying you keep his rights. His salary is determined by arbitration or if he is a pre-arb player it's typically just the league minimum unless they are someone special and the team is trying to curry favor a la Trout or Bryant who got $1 mil pre-arb salaries.

As for whether they offer him $2.5 mil in arbitration. No they wont because if they do he could say he wants $5-6 mil and he'd likely win since the arbiter choses one or the other between what the players reps offer and what the team offers and $2.5 mil is so far below the $4.5 mil he's projected to get.

Long story short, the way this likely works is the cubs will probably offer him some where between $4-4.25. His team probably wants $5. Typically the team and player meet in between.

He made 3.2. It wouldn’t shock me that Jed was talking to his agent trying to work a deal for 3.5 and it is going 11th HR. I’m pretty sure if Boras is being a ass they will drop him here.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    He made 3.2. It wouldn’t shock me that Jed was talking to his agent trying to work a deal for 3.5 and it is going 11th HR. I’m pretty sure if Boras is being a ass they will drop him here.
    I mean look the cubs aren't going to play hard ball on this. The last thing you want after tendering him is to have him all over the media in an arb battle. They did in fact tender him which as I've said all along is the only real choice they had. I would be very surprised if they made the tender contingent on him taking a low ball deal. It would be a pretty scum bag thing to do. Now on the contrary will they be in a lower range in their arb offer than they typically might? Maybe but just as an example here if the "fair number" is $4.5 and typically you knock 5% off in your offer for a normal player I don't see them knocking like 25% off their offer which is essentially what $3.5 mil would be. I could see them offering $4 mil or him coming to them with some sort of offer where he takes $4.5 mil but promises to use $500k to a DV charity.... something like that. That's win win for both side. He gets to keep his arb number where it normally would be which helps next year and they get good pr around his return.

And I mean the difference between $3.5 mil and $4.5 mil is fairly trivial for a player with his skillset. The last thing you want is for him to have you being cheap as part of his mind set. If he plays like he can such as 2015 or 2016 he's a 3-4 win player and that's worth anywhere between $24-32 mil. That's why I could see the good PR way being a really strong idea. It takes some of the media pressure off him and gives him a bit of a win moment. He can get the feel good moment of him handing a giant over sized check to a charity and hopefully by the time ST rolls around he can just focus mostly on baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by beckdawg View Post
    That's not how tendering works.... Tendering just means they aren't releasing him. You are essentially saying you keep his rights. His salary is determined by arbitration or if he is a pre-arb player it's typically just the league minimum unless they are someone special and the team is trying to curry favor a la Trout or Bryant who got $1 mil pre-arb salaries.

As for whether they offer him $2.5 mil in arbitration. No they wont because if they do he could say he wants $5-6 mil and he'd likely win since the arbiter choses one or the other between what the players reps offer and what the team offers and $2.5 mil is so far below the $4.5 mil he's projected to get.

Long story short, the way this likely works is the cubs will probably offer him some where between $4-4.25. His team probably wants $5. Typically the team and player meet in between.
    I know Arbitor are non baseball people, but everyone knows his domestic violence story. They have time between both offers before they reach the hearing to work something out. I just dont want to see him getting 5 because he has to give back 15% of it.

Not a fan of it. Enuf said.

Edit: Career wOBA .305 Which is rated below avg to poor. Last year .290 which was rated awful.

Everything is regressing with him.

UZR150

2016 9.7
    2017 6.8
    2018 2.0

This a mistake honestly.

That is not even getting into the puff piece that he played to the media. Guess he has had time to brush up on his speech.

I mean look the cubs aren't going to play hard ball on this. The last thing you want after tendering him is to have him all over the media in an arb battle. They did in fact tender him which as I've said all along is the only real choice they had. I would be very surprised if they made the tender contingent on him taking a low ball deal. It would be a pretty scum bag thing to do. Now on the contrary will they be in a lower range in their arb offer than they typically might? Maybe but just as an example here if the "fair number" is $4.5 and typically you knock 5% off in your offer for a normal player I don't see them knocking like 25% off their offer which is essentially what $3.5 mil would be. I could see them offering $4 mil or him coming to them with some sort of offer where he takes $4.5 mil but promises to use $500k to a DV charity.... something like that. That's win win for both side. He gets to keep his arb number where it normally would be which helps next year and they get good pr around his return.

And I mean the difference between $3.5 mil and $4.5 mil is fairly trivial for a player with his skillset. The last thing you want is for him to have you being cheap as part of his mind set. If he plays like he can such as 2015 or 2016 he's a 3-4 win player and that's worth anywhere between $24-32 mil. That's why I could see the good PR way being a really strong idea. It takes some of the media pressure off him and gives him a bit of a win moment. He can get the feel good moment of him handing a giant over sized check to a charity and hopefully by the time ST rolls around he can just focus mostly on baseball.
    projections

Cubs (8)

Kris Bryant (3.171) – $12.4MM
    Kyle Hendricks (4.081) – $7.6MM
    Javier Baez (3.089) – $7.1MM
    Addison Russell (3.167) – $4.3MM
    Kyle Schwarber (3.086) – $3.1MM
    Mike Montgomery (3.089) – $3.0MM
    Carl Edwards Jr. (2.134) – $1.4MM
    Ronald Torreyes (2.139) – $900K

All-Star

Sorry but that's just terrible business. You're completely ignoring his domestic abuse case. Addison should consider himself fortunate (very fortunate) that the Cubs kept him. And he better just take what the Cubs give him and say "thank you daddy" to Theo.

All-Star

Not a fan of it. Enuf said.

Edit: Career wOBA .305 Which is rated below avg to poor. Last year .290 which was rated awful.

Everything is regressing with him.

UZR150

2016 9.7
    2017 6.8
    2018 2.0

This a mistake honestly.

That is not even getting into the puff piece that he played to the media. Guess he has had time to brush up on his speech.
    Sorry man I just don't know why you're so hung up on this. I've been talking to you for days about this and you refused to listen to me. At the end of the day, I'm going to trust Theo's decision. The guy kind of knows baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
    Sorry man I just don't know why you're so hung up on this. I've been talking to you for days about this and you refused to listen to me. At the end of the day, I'm going to trust Theo's decision. The guy kind of knows baseball.
    He is not infallible. This is the same guy That created the chicken din din in the Cubhouse. And signed E-Jax and Chatwood. Every stroke of genius is countered by a stroke of stupidity

Sorry but that's just terrible business. You're completely ignoring his domestic abuse case. Addison should consider himself fortunate (very fortunate) that the Cubs kept him. And he better just take what the Cubs give him and say "thank you daddy" to Theo.
    That would come from accepting whatever Theo offered. If Russell takes the cubs to the hearing the other half of the people (the ones with him) might change sides too.

He is not infallible. This is the same guy That created the chicken din din in the Cubhouse. And signed E-Jax and Chatwood. Every stroke of genius is countered by a stroke of stupidity
    lets not forget he signed heyward and its one good year and a defensive excuse. Cant see the future, but Heyward replaced Soler and made Eloy subject to being traded. But now world series with Soler, even though he was 8-16 and the only cub that hit in the 2015 playoffs.

David Ortiz fell in his lap in Boston, his big free agent signing for that run was JD Drew.

Here, Strop and Arrieta fell into our lap. Both were banned from cutters and both became dominant using it.

Development is key with Theo, he has lost high picks and forced the hand with free agents.

If he can move Heyward it cleans the slate with me, just like eventually Soriano got gone. But its just too easy to forgive the guy for bad moves, to me, it makes me want him to stay the hell out of the big name signings. They should be able to win with who we have.

All-Star

Nobody said he's infallible. But he certainly knows more than us message board posters.

Nobody said he's infallible. But he certainly knows more than us message board posters.
    The difference is that is his job and he is paid very well to do it. For us it is a hobby. So because he is getting paid there is accountability to be concidered form his decisions.

That is the main difference here.

Just like any business it survives off of the customer ie fan. Our opinions matter. If they didn’t then Theo wouldn’t have gone to such lengths to PR it up. He knew this was a touchy subject and the female part of the audience is a large share and it affects them indirectly with spouse abuse.

That said I’m pretty sure Theo leaves after his contract ends. He has held to a 10 year term policy and I can see this one being it. The Joe drama this off season. Bad signings. IE resource wasted on underperformance. Ownership limitations on budgets and so on.

Cubs are top 5 market but refuse to act like it.

Add to it the failure to produce a quality farm system outside of the first pick and cheating the international market.

That said I’m pretty sure Theo leaves after his contract ends. He has held to a 10 year term policy and I can see this one being it. The Joe drama this off season. Bad signings. IE resource wasted on underperformance. Ownership limitations on budgets and so on.

Cubs are top 5 market but refuse to act like it.

Add to it the failure to produce a quality farm system outside of the first pick and cheating the international market.
    Building a system seems to be what his goals are. Turning franchises around thru the draft. Sustaining it is not what he is cut out for. Now, Nico turns into a great pick and becomes a full time ss or 2bman with Javy, then he will get excited about it again, but looking at late first round picks without gaining any compensatory choices is taking the best part of him away.

It should be enough of a challenge to him to try to sustain the team after the build.

Quote Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
    Building a system seems to be what his goals are. Turning franchises around thru the draft. Sustaining it is not what he is cut out for. Now, Nico turns into a great pick and becomes a full time ss or 2bman with Javy, then he will get excited about it again, but looking at late first round picks without gaining any compensatory choices is taking the best part of him away.

It should be enough of a challenge to him to try to sustain the team after the build.
    I don’t see it as this.

I see it as he build a window. He built his core. The drafts that fell after have become supporters. They used prime talent remaining to buy proven. What was left was poor residue left from budgetary restrictions. The vast majority of the draft were low upside high floor RHP prospects for years. They were profiling the same guy over and over again for years. None had the leverage to battle over bonus alitment and even took less.

Over all meh. That said this last draft they switched gears and targeted ceilings again so that is a good sign.

I just don’t see him going beyond 10 years with the Cubs.

Thecthing is when you approach the draft from a business prospective ahead of a baseball prospective you wnd up with a system like the Cubs. The draft was managed as a business model vs a scouting and talent evaluation. Add to it they have been pissvpoor in developing talent but that could just be a result from the poor talent resouses.

A fresh vision would be a nice change. I’m hoping that the last draft is a signal of needed change.

Thecthing is when you approach the draft from a business prospective ahead of a baseball prospective you wnd up with a system like the Cubs. The draft was managed as a business model vs a scouting and talent evaluation. Add to it they have been pissvpoor in developing talent but that could just be a result from the poor talent resouses.

A fresh vision would be a nice change. Iím hoping that the last draft is a signal of needed change.
    If for whatever reason Theo decides to leave, I'm pretty sure both he and Rickett will try to convince Hoyer to take over as President..

But unless there some place he prefers to be or has aspirations of becoming an owner or something higher then what he is now, I dont see him leaving unless Rickett decides to stop paying him

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast