Report: White Sox interested in both Machado and Harper?

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
121 million

EDIT: We were the winner by quite a but until the nearly doubling of an offer came in by Texas.

Jerry is willing. That's the correct narrative.

So in other words, we were still outbid by tens of millions.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
If Jerry is willing, then fantastic. Prove it to me and bring in both of these guys. These two mixed in with some bullpen help and a starter infinitely improves this team in one off season. We're bringing up Eloy right away so that's 3 impact bats instantly.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The entire time the Sox were mentioned in the running for him. They put together a presentation and everything.

Just read it, and the Yankees gave significantly more. You are not comparing apples here I don't think. I'm quite happy with $175 million (posting fee) in our hand vs having Tanaka

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If Jerry is willing, then fantastic. Prove it to me and bring in both of these guys. These two mixed in with some bullpen help and a starter infinitely improves this team in one off season. We're bringing up Eloy right away so that's 3 impact bats instantly.

You can't just assume Eloy hits out of the gate. To do that to any spec is foolish

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Sometimes you need to be crazy to get the guy you want. Rodriguez put up ridiculous numbers in Texas.

And the team did, I recall them being like 10-15% higher than the next offer.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
Just read it, and the Yankees gave significantly more. You are not comparing apples here I don't think. I'm quite happy with $175 million (posting fee) in our hand vs having Tanaka

He was a huge free agent splash and we weren't even outbid as much as smoked in the bidding war. I want them to stop telling me we're in on a guy and actually go out and get em. The Sox have a ton of money to spend this year. DO IT.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
He was a huge free agent splash and we weren't even outbid as much as smoked in the bidding war. I want them to stop telling me we're in on a guy and actually go out and get em. The Sox have a ton of money to spend this year. DO IT.

They may, but wisely. You are Bryce or Manny. Do you want money, chance to win, or both? The White Sox right now offer money and a possibility in a year or three to be that team year in and year out. What does a team like the Yankees offer? Money, win now, win future. Very attractive. What would it take for the White Sox to make it better for the player? CASH. And it's already way too much if the rumors of 30+ per season are true for either of them. By not being smart the White Sox run the risk of losing a decade in progress.

Tanaka would have cost $200-225 for the White Sox to land him. For a guy that has never throw 200 innings and has been a 1-2 WAR player the last two season, yes, we did great by losing out.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No, but I can assume he hits better than the guys they have out there now.

I don't think you can even assume he hits better than Palka. you hope he does at some point, but out of the gate? Sorry, the game is much harder than you are stating it to be.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And then didn't. Did they throw out a counter offer after Texas?

You are on a job interview. You have skills and are looking for a nice bump in pay. Your current employer is out. So you get an offer from a new one and it's a whopper. Way more cash. And as you finish to your last interview on the companies that have interest in your services, someone offers you more than double the top offer. You are saying you don't sign right away?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
correction Tanaka is a 2 war player the past two seasons

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
They may, but wisely. You are Bryce or Manny. Do you want money, chance to win, or both? The White Sox right now offer money and a possibility in a year or three to be that team year in and year out. What does a team like the Yankees offer? Money, win now, win future. Very attractive. What would it take for the White Sox to make it better for the player? CASH. And it's already way too much if the rumors of 30+ per season are true for either of them. By not being smart the White Sox run the risk of losing a decade in progress.

Tanaka would have cost $200-225 for the White Sox to land him. For a guy that has never throw 200 innings and has been a 1-2 WAR player the last two season, yes, we did great by losing out.

How do they risk losing a decade of progress? Their payroll is nothing right now. They risk nothing and have everything to gain. They lost 100 games last year. They need to get players like these whatever the cost.

Our answer to not getting Tanaka was what? James Shields? So we traded away Tatis Jr. and paid a boatload of money for a pitcher that sucked anyway. I'd rather have Tanaka.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
You are on a job interview. You have skills and are looking for a nice bump in pay. Your current employer is out. So you get an offer from a new one and it's a whopper. Way more cash. And as you finish to your last interview on the companies that have interest in your services, someone offers you more than double the top offer. You are saying you don't sign right away?

That depends. What was Texas' record at the time and what was the Sox? What were the player core around me? If a ridiculous deal comes my way and I've already been offered something less by a different team I liked, I'd go back and see if there was a counter offer. Was the difference mostly years?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
How do they risk losing a decade of progress? Their payroll is nothing right now. They risk nothing and have everything to gain. They lost 100 games last year. They need to get players like these whatever the cost.

Our answer to not getting Tanaka was what? James Shields? So we traded away Tatis Jr. and paid a boatload of money for a pitcher that sucked anyway. I'd rather have Tanaka.

OK a lot of error in your post.

1) The risk is having huge amounts of cash tied up and not being able to address your own players or additional needs thru trade and free agency because of that if things go wrong by paying too much and/or injury

2) Whatever the cost? You say that because it's not your money. You are a meatball fan by saying whatever the costs. And that's fine. But it's also unrealistic.

3) Shields helped a lot. He helped the younger guys on the staff on learning the nuances of the game on and especially off the field. More so he allowed players to not be promoted early

3) The Padres I want to say paid for half his salary. Financially the cost to the team was low.

4) Tatis was a loss and was definitely an error in judgement by the White Sox.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
That depends. What was Texas' record at the time and what was the Sox? What were the player core around me? If a ridiculous deal comes my way and I've already been offered something less by a different team I liked, I'd go back and see if there was a counter offer. Was the difference mostly years?

No you wouldn't. One company offers you a great raise, the other company offers you STUPID money. You take the STUPID every single time.

EDIT: You say I'll get back to you and the offer ..."poof" goes up in smoke

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
I don't think you can even assume he hits better than Palka. you hope he does at some point, but out of the gate? Sorry, the game is much harder than you are stating it to be.

Palka hit .240 and struck out 153 times and had an OBP of .294. I can make that assumption all day.