Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 23 to 44 of 97

Thread: Report: White Sox interested in both Machado and Harper?

  1. #23
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    If Jerry is willing, then fantastic. Prove it to me and bring in both of these guys. These two mixed in with some bullpen help and a starter infinitely improves this team in one off season. We're bringing up Eloy right away so that's 3 impact bats instantly.

  2. #24
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So in other words, we were still outbid by tens of millions.
    Yes we were but it was also seen as crazy by everyone what Texas offered.
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  3. #25
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The entire time the Sox were mentioned in the running for him. They put together a presentation and everything.
    Just read it, and the Yankees gave significantly more. You are not comparing apples here I don't think. I'm quite happy with $175 million (posting fee) in our hand vs having Tanaka
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  4. #26
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Jerry is willing, then fantastic. Prove it to me and bring in both of these guys. These two mixed in with some bullpen help and a starter infinitely improves this team in one off season. We're bringing up Eloy right away so that's 3 impact bats instantly.
    You can't just assume Eloy hits out of the gate. To do that to any spec is foolish
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  5. #27
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes we were but it was also seen as crazy by everyone what Texas offered.
    Sometimes you need to be crazy to get the guy you want. Rodriguez put up ridiculous numbers in Texas.

  6. #28
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes you need to be crazy to get the guy you want. Rodriguez put up ridiculous numbers in Texas.
    And the team did, I recall them being like 10-15% higher than the next offer.
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  7. #29
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just read it, and the Yankees gave significantly more. You are not comparing apples here I don't think. I'm quite happy with $175 million (posting fee) in our hand vs having Tanaka
    He was a huge free agent splash and we weren't even outbid as much as smoked in the bidding war. I want them to stop telling me we're in on a guy and actually go out and get em. The Sox have a ton of money to spend this year. DO IT.

  8. #30
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can't just assume Eloy hits out of the gate. To do that to any spec is foolish
    No, but I can assume he hits better than the guys they have out there now.

  9. #31
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And the team did, I recall them being like 10-15% higher than the next offer.
    And then didn't. Did they throw out a counter offer after Texas?

  10. #32
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was a huge free agent splash and we weren't even outbid as much as smoked in the bidding war. I want them to stop telling me we're in on a guy and actually go out and get em. The Sox have a ton of money to spend this year. DO IT.
    They may, but wisely. You are Bryce or Manny. Do you want money, chance to win, or both? The White Sox right now offer money and a possibility in a year or three to be that team year in and year out. What does a team like the Yankees offer? Money, win now, win future. Very attractive. What would it take for the White Sox to make it better for the player? CASH. And it's already way too much if the rumors of 30+ per season are true for either of them. By not being smart the White Sox run the risk of losing a decade in progress.

    Tanaka would have cost $200-225 for the White Sox to land him. For a guy that has never throw 200 innings and has been a 1-2 WAR player the last two season, yes, we did great by losing out.
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  11. #33
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, but I can assume he hits better than the guys they have out there now.
    I don't think you can even assume he hits better than Palka. you hope he does at some point, but out of the gate? Sorry, the game is much harder than you are stating it to be.
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  12. #34
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And then didn't. Did they throw out a counter offer after Texas?
    You are on a job interview. You have skills and are looking for a nice bump in pay. Your current employer is out. So you get an offer from a new one and it's a whopper. Way more cash. And as you finish to your last interview on the companies that have interest in your services, someone offers you more than double the top offer. You are saying you don't sign right away?
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  13. #35
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    correction Tanaka is a 2 war player the past two seasons
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  14. #36
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They may, but wisely. You are Bryce or Manny. Do you want money, chance to win, or both? The White Sox right now offer money and a possibility in a year or three to be that team year in and year out. What does a team like the Yankees offer? Money, win now, win future. Very attractive. What would it take for the White Sox to make it better for the player? CASH. And it's already way too much if the rumors of 30+ per season are true for either of them. By not being smart the White Sox run the risk of losing a decade in progress.

    Tanaka would have cost $200-225 for the White Sox to land him. For a guy that has never throw 200 innings and has been a 1-2 WAR player the last two season, yes, we did great by losing out.
    How do they risk losing a decade of progress? Their payroll is nothing right now. They risk nothing and have everything to gain. They lost 100 games last year. They need to get players like these whatever the cost.

    Our answer to not getting Tanaka was what? James Shields? So we traded away Tatis Jr. and paid a boatload of money for a pitcher that sucked anyway. I'd rather have Tanaka.

  15. #37
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are on a job interview. You have skills and are looking for a nice bump in pay. Your current employer is out. So you get an offer from a new one and it's a whopper. Way more cash. And as you finish to your last interview on the companies that have interest in your services, someone offers you more than double the top offer. You are saying you don't sign right away?
    That depends. What was Texas' record at the time and what was the Sox? What were the player core around me? If a ridiculous deal comes my way and I've already been offered something less by a different team I liked, I'd go back and see if there was a counter offer. Was the difference mostly years?

  16. #38
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do they risk losing a decade of progress? Their payroll is nothing right now. They risk nothing and have everything to gain. They lost 100 games last year. They need to get players like these whatever the cost.

    Our answer to not getting Tanaka was what? James Shields? So we traded away Tatis Jr. and paid a boatload of money for a pitcher that sucked anyway. I'd rather have Tanaka.
    OK a lot of error in your post.

    1) The risk is having huge amounts of cash tied up and not being able to address your own players or additional needs thru trade and free agency because of that if things go wrong by paying too much and/or injury

    2) Whatever the cost? You say that because it's not your money. You are a meatball fan by saying whatever the costs. And that's fine. But it's also unrealistic.

    3) Shields helped a lot. He helped the younger guys on the staff on learning the nuances of the game on and especially off the field. More so he allowed players to not be promoted early

    3) The Padres I want to say paid for half his salary. Financially the cost to the team was low.

    4) Tatis was a loss and was definitely an error in judgement by the White Sox.
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  17. #39
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That depends. What was Texas' record at the time and what was the Sox? What were the player core around me? If a ridiculous deal comes my way and I've already been offered something less by a different team I liked, I'd go back and see if there was a counter offer. Was the difference mostly years?
    No you wouldn't. One company offers you a great raise, the other company offers you STUPID money. You take the STUPID every single time.

    EDIT: You say I'll get back to you and the offer ..."poof" goes up in smoke
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  18. #40
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think you can even assume he hits better than Palka. you hope he does at some point, but out of the gate? Sorry, the game is much harder than you are stating it to be.
    Palka hit .240 and struck out 153 times and had an OBP of .294. I can make that assumption all day.

  19. #41
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK a lot of error in your post.

    1) The risk is having huge amounts of cash tied up and not being able to address your own players or additional needs thru trade and free agency because of that if things go wrong by paying too much and/or injury

    2) Whatever the cost? You say that because it's not your money. You are a meatball fan by saying whatever the costs. And that's fine. But it's also unrealistic.

    3) Shields helped a lot. He helped the younger guys on the staff on learning the nuances of the game on and especially off the field. More so he allowed players to not be promoted early

    3) The Padres I want to say paid for half his salary. Financially the cost to the team was low.

    4) Tatis was a loss and was definitely an error in judgement by the White Sox.
    No errors in my post.

    1) The Sox payroll is minuscule. They can take a hit and then some.

    2) I'm saying whatever the cost because the Sox payroll is minuscule. It's not my money, but it's my ticket I will or won't buy when they lose 100 games again. Spend money to Make money, Brett. Meatball fans say it's not our money.

    3) Shields sucked and never should have been traded for. You could have brought anyone in and done that. We also have Don Cooper, that's his damn job.

    4)Tatis could have been apart of this rebuild, but instead we traded him for a team helper.

  20. #42
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Palka hit .240 and struck out 153 times and had an OBP of .294. I can make that assumption all day.
    He also hit 27 hrs and had an OPS+ of 111. It's a lot to ask.
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  21. #43
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    26,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boletarian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No errors in my post.

    1) The Sox payroll is minuscule. They can take a hit and then some.

    2) I'm saying whatever the cost because the Sox payroll is minuscule. It's not my money, but it's my ticket I will or won't buy when they lose 100 games again. Spend money to Make money, Brett. Meatball fans say it's not our money.

    3) Shields sucked and never should have been traded for. You could have brought anyone in and done that. We also have Don Cooper, that's his damn job.

    4)Tatis could have been apart of this rebuild, but instead we traded him for a team helper.
    1) No they can't. The revenue is not there.
    2) And they tried that and it failed. I think you need to learn more about the history of the team which you appear quite willing so kudos to you
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  22. #44
    All-Star The Boletarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1) No they can't. The revenue is not there.
    2) And they tried that and it failed. I think you need to learn more about the history of the team which you appear quite willing so kudos to you
    1) People will come Brett if they sign the two guys. They'll have plenty of revenue. Besides, their deal on that building is ridiculous. Reinsdorf still makes money with 10,000 people showing up a night.

    2)They haven't tried that Brett. They've signed and traded for shitty over the hill players that have under performed. Don't sign guys that are 36, suck, and bring their kid to the ballpark every day. Don't sign guys that strike out 177 times a year while hitting .159 only playing in 122 games cause they suck so bad. I don't think you need to learn any history about the team, I know you do.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •