Report: White Sox interested in both Machado and Harper?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
From Morosi on Monday:

"After the Phillies, the White Sox are perhaps the best candidate to pursue both Machado and Harper -- although there's no guarantee they will land either. At present, the White Sox have the second-lowest payroll commitment of any MLB team for 2019. With Jose Abreu entering his final season before free agency, the White Sox need a new face of the franchise. Chicago's affinity for Machado is well-established, as it pursued him via the trade market last offseason."

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-machado-bryce-harper-markets-take-shape/c-300231462

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
I can't see the White Sox landing Harper. Outside chance at Machado but Philly can outbid you easily.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Of course we are going to get mentioned. We will for most free agents. We simply have more money than other teams. It's a smart leverage play for the agents.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Of course we are going to get mentioned. We will for most free agents. We simply have more money than other teams. It's a smart leverage play for the agents.

It sure is and it's been used many times. You know, at some point I believe the Sox will go after a big gun but now is not the time and the two players mentioned are certainly not who you want showing the way for these young guys...I wonder how Machado's dogging it would sit with Rentoria?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It sure is and it's been used many times. You know, at some point I believe the Sox will go after a big gun but now is not the time and the two players mentioned are certainly not who you want showing the way for these young guys...I wonder how Machado's dogging it would sit with Rentoria?

You know I have to do this, right?

Renteria

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You know I have to do this, right?

Renteria

No, no, no....it's Rentoria.

Renteria is the guy they just extended that I said wasn't the guy that would lead them to the Promised Land. Whoops.....LOL

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
As much as I'd love them to actually be in on one or both of these guys, do we really think they will be? I honestly can't remember the last time we went out and got a big time free agent. Belle maybe?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Apparently Harper is in town today. White Sox set something up at the UC..

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If Kenny Williams was still gm we probably be in play for Harper ten years from now after his new deal is up and he’s over the hill lol

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If they're bringing him in they better not let him leave without a contract. No more offers 20 million less than everyone else.

We don't really do that. Look at the offers to A-rod and Belle as examples.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
What did we offer Rodriguez? The only things I can find are that pretty much everyone was outbid by Texas.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
What did we offer Rodriguez? The only things I can find are that pretty much everyone was outbid by Texas.

121 million

EDIT: We were the winner by quite a but until the nearly doubling of an offer came in by Texas.

Jerry is willing. That's the correct narrative.