Parkey's Stats this year - What counts

Jechang

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wish there were a way to know how kickers, overall (both Bears and opponents), fare at Soldier Field vs. the rest of the stadiums out there--or, at least, vs. the other outdoor stadiums. It seems to me like it must be harder to kick at Soldier Field--but I don't know if that's just an incorrect perception of mine or not.

might be a bit dated, but found this: http://www.decisionsciencenews.com/2013/02/13/stadium-home-team-effects-in-making-field-goals/

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
I wish there were a way to know how kickers, overall (both Bears and opponents), fare at Soldier Field vs. the rest of the stadiums out there--or, at least, vs. the other outdoor stadiums. It seems to me like it must be harder to kick at Soldier Field--but I don't know if that's just an incorrect perception of mine or not.

You are correct. It is harder to kick at Soldier Field than at stadiums that are not near a body of water. Chicago is the Windy City and the Bears play very near the lakefront. It has been like this longer than I have been watching football since the 60's.

Parkey had a terrible day hitting the posts 4 times. That is almost unheard of. I am sure some of the issue is kicking in a Windy City near the lakefront. Some of it was just poor technique. Did everyone do their job perfectly on those 4 kicks; long snapper, holder, line blocking, etc? Pace brought in Parkey because he was the best available at any price. Most of the time, Pace has made great choices, but no GM is perfect. Parkey is a major upgrade over Connor Barth.

Sure, I'd love to have the security of Kevin Butler or Robbie Gould. I think Parkey deserves another chance. I bet that he never hits a goal post 2 times in a game the rest of his career, let alone 4 times. It was a freak day. I trust Ryan Pace and supported him when many others were doubters. Pace knows how to evaluate personnel. He has cut his teeth on doing it.

Parkey will have great kicking days. Lets not give up on him because of a freak day. He is still a major upgrade over who we had. If he keeps missing, well then let him go.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Statistics, whatever. I'd rather know the probability of hitting an upright 4 times in a row. Seriously...
I found something on that. According to this Parkey study, the probability of hitting the uprights 4 times in a row is 100%.

cubandabear

BANNED
Liked Posts:
That's statistically incorrect. He's the 4th best in the league at 80% into the endzone, and significant better than most. Who are you, Karl Rove or something?

Plus, I'm assuming it hasn't, and won't happen, but how do we ever know if the ST coach asks him to kick to the 5 yard line?

HE'S........NOT......EARNING HIS MONEY.....Buy him a train ticket and run his ass outta town!

Rob Noxious

Liked Posts:
HOWEVER, Mason Crosby wasn't shit before that shit day...Whereas Parkey has just been plain BAD.
I have absolutely zero faith when Parkey gets set next time to get a FG.....and as far as XtraPts, We should always go for TWO

That is incorrect, Mason Crosby had a shit year a few years ago as well. 2012

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Noxious

Liked Posts:
I was listening to Kap & Co podcast and Kevin Butler came on and told the story about originally getting permission to practice kicks at Soldier Field. He went to Ditka and asked on his own. The rest is history. He recommended Cody do the same. He is aware of his problems kicking there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What’s Paul Edinger doing these days?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Sculpt, I never took you for a Parkey homer...
That kid failed the eye test for me Sunday... you cant spin that man!
Touchbacks? We are talking touchbacks now?
Did you hear we signed that kicker that nails like 80 % of his kickoffs???? Hahha.... I do remember robbie Gould not being the best at kickoffs....he was kind of good at that one thing though....what was it? Yup....it was making field goals........
Nice try Sculpt... quit messing around.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Not trash, statistically, below average. 29-49 is about 23rd.

His longest is 54 yds, but his career 50+ is 7/9 which is pretty good.

he's made 72% of his fgs for us this year. That is horrid.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Sculpt, I never took you for a Parkey homer...
That kid failed the eye test for me Sunday... you cant spin that man!
Touchbacks? We are talking touchbacks now?
Did you hear we signed that kicker that nails like 80 % of his kickoffs???? Hahha.... I do remember robbie Gould not being the best at kickoffs....he was kind of good at that one thing though....what was it? Yup....it was making field goals........
Nice try Sculpt... quit messing around.
I'm not a Parkey homer. But he is my dad. I guess I should reveal that.

I just wondered what his stats were this year, nobody was posting about it, so I did. Can't go by just one game.

You're right though, of course you can't have a sucky FG kicker just because he's one of the best Touchback kickers. But if the kicker is somewhere in the average universe in FG kicking, might as well consider the big picture, like kickoffs. If he keeps blowing FG, im in favor of getting a replacement, no matter what it costs, cause Bears are in the playoff hunt.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Bears are good enough that they need to bring in competition for Parkey, imo.