2nd Viewing OL Thoughts

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1. This was an exceptional day in pass protection across the board. A ton of ++ plays where the entire line is providing great time and have their guys on lock down. Even when they gave up pressure it was controlled and not free runners, except the almost safety.

2. Witzmann is better than Kush. At a minimum he is a better pass blocker and he uses his huge wingspan to really punch DTs before they can get their momentum going. I came away impressed.

3. The Bears got worked over on the interior against Snacks Harrison in the run game. He is just too big and powerful for Cody Whitehair to deal with.

4. There were a couple of instances where Witzmann and Whitehair struggled with communication and who was going to do what on the double team. Some of that is to be expected with guys playing beside each other.

5. James Daniels is better in pass pro right now than he is in the run game. He is pretty good when he is on the playside, but backside and pulling was not great.

6. This seems to be a physical issue. They just are not moving people and they are ending up on the ground a lot. I am not sure they are built for the power run game that they are running with Long and Massie beside each other. They just are not that physical of an OL.

7. The Bears may need to go back to some of the simplified zone runs they have run in the past with Howard. This requires less reading and less physical dominance from your OL.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I should add in the run game it was equal opportunity screw ups. Every one made the list.

The Leno and Daniels side were the most frequent offenders.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think everyone here wants them to go back to the Zone run scheme... but the less knowledgeable may question... can that be done within the overall scheme of the offense? (I know Andy Reid has some plays where half the line moves like it's run blocking and the other half sits and pass blocks on some of the RPOs and misdirection plays.) I question if a zone run blocking scheme could shim into the overall offensive scheme?

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
nagy wanted to use more power blocking schemes like he did with the chiefs in 2017...its just not been a good fit however...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
i thought reid utilizes a zone blocking scheme, i think it has more to do with hiestand and what he prefers...

Reid does a lot of pulling. They like the misdirection.

Notre Dame does run a lot of power and maybe this is the Hiestand influence.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Reid does a lot of pulling. They like the misdirection.

Notre Dame does run a lot of power and maybe this is the Hiestand influence.

i was looking into whether reid had more power schemes and like you said he did...

this on hiestand
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...ch-matt-nagy-notre-dame-lovie-smith-ryan-pace

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/t...nd-notre-dames-offensive-line-harry-hiestand/

this on nagy's scheme
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...rs-running-game-matt-nagy-20180724-story.html

regardless nagy's power scheme has been a poor fit thus far

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you would say that Daniels is about what you should expect at this point or are you a bit underwhelmed?

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On #4 Windy, would you say that this may be overcome by just more time playing together? I know that you were an OL. A very good former NFL guard that I know told me that the most important thing in a great OL is continuity and trust in each other. Do you agree?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Here is hoping the line can perform against the Vikings

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since we only have (I think) picks in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th how do you see us fixing the OL? 3rd round is pretty late. FA?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Since we only have (I think) picks in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th how do you see us fixing the OL? 3rd round is pretty late. FA?

Fixiing the OL? I don't think it's actually broken, it's pretty good actually. Also, good OL can be had in the later rounds as compared to other positions.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Snacks/Robinson is as difficult an interior to deal with as there is in the league. And even then, if the Bears really find themselves in a position where they want to pound with Howard they can control tempo and get those two off the field.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

I'm sure they will tweak the blocking scheme in the off-season to utilize our OL strengths better. Also, playing a year in the offensive system will help. And for young guys like Daniels and Coward (who I hope can take over RT one day), they will have a year extra of experience under their belts.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:

The only thing they really need to worry about is replacing Massie. They are fine everywhere else for the foreseeable future. Pace likes to draft late round project OL...so far both have been whiffs but I get what he's doing trying to hit home runs. I like it even if Tayo and Jordan Morgan both wound up being duds.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't know much about Witzman, I just know he's huge and seems competent enough.

Overall, this is an above average line that's about middle of the pack in the NFL. I really like Whitehair and Daniels (from a potential perspective), Leno is solid enough and Massie has improved each year. The Eagles won with far less last year, especially once Peters went down.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Lane Johnson is the best RT and Kelce is the best C in the game. This aint the Eagles, but still I think its a good group.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
On #4 Windy, would you say that this may be overcome by just more time playing together? I know that you were an OL. A very good former NFL guard that I know told me that the most important thing in a great OL is continuity and trust in each other. Do you agree?

It will take time.

They would be blocking a guy and then both leave to go to the 2nd level. With more time they will get a feel for how the other guy plays.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So you would say that Daniels is about what you should expect at this point or are you a bit underwhelmed?

Pass Pro is the most important thing and he is way ahead of where I expected him to be.

He has lock down power. When his hands land it is over. His feet get a little crazy at times and he ends up losing his base.

I think he will be very good. Reminds me physically of Ben Grubbs who played for the Ravens and Saints. Really good athlete with heavy hands, but not enough lead in his ass to have bad feet and not get bull rushed.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Snacks/Robinson is as difficult an interior to deal with as there is in the league. And even then, if the Bears really find themselves in a position where they want to pound with Howard they can control tempo and get those two off the field.

Have to deal with what i think is a even tougher interior with S.Richardson and L.Joseph to go with all the greatness they're playing with all around them.