Roquan/Leighton

NumberMonkey

Liked Posts:
Roquan is eactly the kind of guy you need at ILB for the 3-4 to be effective against modern NFL offenses

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Probably is overly critical. Hard to put into words exactly whats missing but it was obvious as soon as Urlacher took the field for the Bears there was something special there. He always stood out. Smith just hasn't flashed liked that yet. He looks like a solid starter in this league that we will be able to count on similar to Trevathan. I don't know maybe its the 3-4 defense that makes it look so different.

Urlacher was a different animal. First ballot hall of Famer. 4-3 guy

Of course he is no comparison to Roquan Smith. It's not fair to compare either IMO

But as great as Urlacher was, Roquan Smith is putting up comparable rookie stats.

The biggest difference I see in the 2 thus far is in coverage. Urlacher in coverage got him in the hall of fame imo.

I also agree with the addition of Mack, Smith is getting less attention from everyone.

NumberMonkey

Liked Posts:
Yeah, there are All-pro DBs that don't end up with 22 ints in their career

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
The bears defense is one of the tops in limiting explosive plays. ILB’s are usually a direct result of that.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The bears defense is one of the tops in limiting explosive plays. ILB’s are usually a direct result of that.

Remember the packers game?

The rest of the season minus Miami(I blame the heat, but who knows) has been pretty nice D and limiting the big plays.

Roquan is playing his part. He might not have the numbers, but he also is part of one of the top 3, if not the best defensive unit in the nfl. Much easier to put up stats on a crap D.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not going to make any comparisons. I like Roquan Smith. But I will say Vander Esch looked extremely good Sunday night too. And on one particular play actually said to myself, reminds me of Urlacher. Funny this should show up here tonight.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Roquan has been alright. Haven’t seen any flashes of dominance, really....but I’ve seen some growth and an overall solid player. Needs to get much better to live up to #8

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
dareus leonard has inflated tackles, but still is very good. denzel ward is my favorite tbh.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Lmao no he wouldn’t. Colts LB Dareus Leonard has been the best rookie LB BY FAR. Also, Denzel award has been better than Roquan

I mean, only thing he has up on roquan is tackles, and he plays for an unimpressive colts defense.

Roquan has 3 sacks to his 4, and plays on a top 3 D in the nfl. Easy to rack up tackles when you are a product of a bad D. His numbers are slightly inflated.

Derwin James is much better than both of them for ROY, imo.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Roquan has been alright. Haven’t seen any flashes of dominance, really....but I’ve seen some growth and an overall solid player. Needs to get much better to live up to #8

Last two games he has had 22 tackles and a sack on a dominant D. That means he is all over the field. Very few negative plays.

I'd say I'm happy with his progression, remember he basically had no training camp, which means he would obviously take longer to make an impact during the season for a rookie. Last few weeks he has looked very good.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean, only thing he has up on roquan is tackles, and he plays for an unimpressive colts defense.

Roquan has 3 sacks to his 4, and plays on a top 3 D in the nfl. Easy to rack up tackles when you are a product of a bad D. His numbers are slightly inflated.

Derwin James is much better than both of them for ROY, imo.

Stop being obsessed with Derwin James, please/

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:
I'm very satisfied the Bears took Roquan at #8. Very good LB already and going to get better. But, there are two holes in his game that needs to get better - pass coverage and open field tackling where he can get juked and miss the tackle. Both of those things are correctable and He will get better.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'm very satisfied the Bears took Roquan at #8. Very good LB already and going to get better. But, there are two holes in his game that needs to get better - pass coverage and open field tackling where he can get juked and miss the tackle. Both of those things are correctable and He will get better.

I don't think his pass coverage is that bad, he has gotten much better the last few weeks. Only play I can remember that he got beat was a crossing route in the bills game that ended up going for a big game, but otherwise he has been decently sound.

You are right however, those are correctable and I'm sure he will do it. His only real negative during the draft was him getting eaten up in the run game by interior lineman due to his small physique. Lucky for him the bears lineman are beasts nowadays so he is free to roam.

Edit: This is also coming from someone who didn't want roquan at #8 also, I was happy with the pick, but just like LG, MLB is one of the positions where you can find heavily impactful players later in the draft. The bust rate is very low compared to other positions. I was a Ridley, Davenport, Edmunds guy. However, Roquan has gladly proved me wrong.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Roquan is more a David Lavonte/Derrick Brooks type LB. Leighton is a poor mans luke Keickly.
Roquan can play OLB in a 4-3 scheme, Leighton is less athletic and is strickly ILB.

ESPN loves the cowboys and patriots BTW

This was a local Dallas show on ESPN. So they better love the Cowboys.

HoosierDaddy

Liked Posts:
Probably is overly critical. Hard to put into words exactly whats missing but it was obvious as soon as Urlacher took the field for the Bears there was something special there. He always stood out. Smith just hasn't flashed liked that yet. He looks like a solid starter in this league that we will be able to count on similar to Trevathan. I don't know maybe its the 3-4 defense that makes it look so different.

This just isnt true. Urlacher didnt flash immediately his rookie year other than with his speed. If you remember they put him at Sam backer to start and he hard a very hard time holding the edge and was getting blown up by lineman. He was on fact benched in favor of Colvin and made the move to the Mike position when Barry Minter got hurt. Once moved to Mike behind Traylor and Washington he could shine from sideline to sideline. I think Roquan Smith has played very well to date and elevates his game each week as he becomes more acclimated with the defense and speed of the NFL game. The dude is gonna be a baller, but I think the holdout stunted his growth. He is definitely flashing if you watch him.