Roquan/Leighton

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So I'm listening to ESPN Dallas today in the car and they are going off about Leighton Vander Esch. Numerous comparisons to Urlacher. Just gushing over the kid and how he's the future of the defense.

Do ya'll feel the same about Roquan?

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
I've thought to myself, "maybe they should have drafted that cowboys linebacker." Although I think the Urlacher comparisons are due to skin tone, no?

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Smith is coming along. I don't know what he'll end up being but he's already a good player and I can only imagine he gets better.

So far he's been worth the 8th pick, we wanted a good player with that pick, and we got a good player.

JeffSpicoli

Hey bud....Let's party!!
Donator
Liked Posts:
For Roquan, every game the wow plays increase, and the wtf plays decrease. Dude is going to be good

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
Roquan reminds me more of Jon Vilma. And he's been better than LVE thus far.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I've thought to myself, "maybe they should have drafted that cowboys linebacker." Although I think the Urlacher comparisons are due to skin tone, no?

He's a bigger linebacker and pretty fast in the Urlacher mold. Not sure about 40 times or exact weights but I can see the comparison.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Roquan reminds me more of Jon Vilma. And he's been better than LVE thus far.

Has he? Not really sure about that. LVE has more tackles. Quan has more sacks. They're both playing very well.

Not complaining either.... just wondering if Bears fans have that same "a star is born" feeling with Roquan that they have in Dallas with LVE.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
Roquan is most definitely the future of this defense and he's only getting better. I think he'd be focused on more if they didn't have a DPOY in Mack on the team.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
We have other pieces that are playing at a high level, so Roquan gets overlooked. The play of Mack, Hicks, Trevathan, Fuller, Eddie Jackson kind of take away from what he's doing.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Local media here bashed Cowboys for drafting him. I don’t follow them, but sounds like he’s doing very well. What was the hate on him coming out to warrant the post draft bashing? (In Redskins territory so got talked about).

I think Smith is only scratching the surface of what he will be. Strongly believe he’s going to be special for years.

BigTom

Liked Posts:
Haven't watched Vander Esch to compare but im not completely sold Smith is going to be a superstar, game changing type of player either on the level of an Urlacher. What Smith looks like right now is a solid player who belongs in the NFL but he doesn't really seem to ever be very noticeable during games. He is using his speed to get to the ball carriers and jump on piles to pad his tackle numbers. Every game he ends up leading or near the team lead in tackles yet watching the game you only notice him a few times. He doesn't look like a difference maker yet.

Right now I'd say his ceiling is Danny Trevathan. The Bears basically used the number 8 pick in the draft to take a younger Trevathan.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Haven't watched Vander Esch to compare but im not completely sold Smith is going to be a superstar, game changing type of player either on the level of an Urlacher. What Smith looks like right now is a solid player who belongs in the NFL but he doesn't really seem to ever be very noticeable during games. He is using his speed to get to the ball carriers and jump on piles to pad his tackle numbers. Every game he ends up leading or near the team lead in tackles yet watching the game you only notice him a few times. He doesn't look like a difference maker yet.

Right now I'd say his ceiling is Danny Trevathan. The Bears basically used the number 8 pick in the draft to take a younger Trevathan.
May see something I don’t, but that sounds overly critical. Dude is flying around and making a ton of plays. He’s not a DE or OLB. What flashes do you want? Was drafted to cover sideline to sideline and be a tackling machine/cover the middle. He’s doing that. His TFL will come and his missed plays as it slows down for him.

NumberMonkey

Liked Posts:
Roquan is most definitely the future of this defense and he's only getting better. I think he'd be focused on more if they didn't have a DPOY in Mack on the team.

He'd flashed before, but this week was the first where I saw him making impact plays consistently throughout the game. I'm excited to see where is ceiling is.

BigTom

Liked Posts:
May see something I don’t, but that sounds overly critical. Dude is flying around and making a ton of plays. He’s not a DE or OLB. What flashes do you want? Was drafted to cover sideline to sideline and be a tackling machine/cover the middle. He’s doing that. His TFL will come and his missed plays as it slows down for him.

Probably is overly critical. Hard to put into words exactly whats missing but it was obvious as soon as Urlacher took the field for the Bears there was something special there. He always stood out. Smith just hasn't flashed liked that yet. He looks like a solid starter in this league that we will be able to count on similar to Trevathan. I don't know maybe its the 3-4 defense that makes it look so different.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know about a star, but so far Smith looks like a will be a solid guy that you can build around. Might wind up just outside the top tier of ILBs tho

oping00@gmail.com

Liked Posts:
So I'm listening to ESPN Dallas today in the car and they are going off about Leighton Vander Esch. Numerous comparisons to Urlacher. Just gushing over the kid and how he's the future of the defense.

Do ya'll feel the same about Roquan?

Roquan is more a David Lavonte/Derrick Brooks type LB. Leighton is a poor mans luke Keickly.
Roquan can play OLB in a 4-3 scheme, Leighton is less athletic and is strickly ILB.

ESPN loves the cowboys and patriots BTW.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Also no where near as good as Urlacher...its comical

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Give me Roquans coverage ability.

Although LVE can play as well.

NumberMonkey

Liked Posts:
David Lavonte

30799910.jpg