Thoughts and Observations: Week 10 Vikings

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Offense

-Before I get started this week I had a couple of big picture thoughts. What a win, what a night, what a change in culture and environment. I cannot remember being on the edge of my seat like that in a long time, it has been 12 years since we have been watching a team that was this easy to root for, this easy to get behind, who played with this much pride and energy. Last night was awesome for so many reasons. The Bears are back.

-Matt Nagy is a stud. Danny Parkins put out a Twitter thought that the Bears probably have the best coach in the division and I am having a tough time arguing with him. Now, I know the "wait till we make the playoffs" or "Zimmer has done this, this and this" crowd will be up in arms. But he has now beaten Patricia, who looks like a clown, and Zimmer. He had Zimmer and that defense confused and off balance all game and if the offense had not committed turnovers, which is on the players, it would have looked even worse. He is a better/more creative play caller than Mike McCarthy and does not have the game day management/game costing screw ups. Nagy is a stud. It is now just a matter of letting his resume build.

-Mitch was alright last night. It was a mediocre performance that I think gets a little uptick to average because of the opponent and the moment. Unlike the Green Bay game he made plays in the 4th quarter to extend drives and get them into field goal range. His legs again in the 1st half really messed with the Vikings defense and allowed them to take a lead, which I think shocked the Vikings a little.

3 bad throws last night. He got burnt on 2 of them.

-Anthony Miller is going to be a star. He plays so hard and catches the ball in big moments.

-I thought it was an off night for Allen Robinson, who looked a little soft against the big press CBs of the Vikings. The 2nd pick he got abused by the DB and on the near interception, which was not as close as it looked on replay, he was super soft and allowed Rhodes to push past him towards the ball.

-Taylor Gabriel would be a good value for this team at 10/season. At 6/season he looks like a free agent steal by Pace. He catches the ball so much better than I was expecting.

-I wish the 36 yard screen pass would have stood for Trey Burton, he didn't really get going all game and the offense seemed to stall out for awhile after that penalty.

-I wish Adam Shaheen had not gotten hurt. He was blocking well and had the nice 2 point conversion against a legit #1 CB.

-Jordan Howard looked more derisive and was not over cutting. Instead he was bludgeoning the Vikings defense, which kept the Bears in 2nd and 6-7, which is where they needed to be.

-I thought the Bears got a little jet sweep and Tarik Cohen happy in the 3rd quarter and ended up in long downs and distances which is where you cannot be against the Vikings. Tarik needs to get upfield or get down against a Vikings defense that you are not going to reverse the entire field against.

-I thought the OL played pretty well considering the front that they were playing.

-Charles Leno normally struggles with Everson Griffen, but I thought he had a nice night and did not give up the quick pressure that we see when he plays the Vikings.

-Wtizmann missed a couple of blitzs and Daniels missed a couple of LBs in the run game, but I thought the Bears were good up the middle. They ran the ball much better than I thought they would and it looked like they were able to handle the interior guys well in pass pro.

-I thought Bobbie Massie may have been the story of the night. Not that he was great, but I was expecting Danielle Hunter to massacre him and he did not allow that to happen.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Defense

-This group is insanely good.

-Akiem Hicks went into full beast mode last night and put up a sack and 5 TFLs and should be an All Pro. He is simply too much for an interior OLmen to keep up with and then when he comes back with the power you really have no shot.

-I thought we saw a couple of really nice rushes from Eddie Goldman last night. On one he beat the OG so quickly that Dalvin Cook had to block him and he still go into Cousins' face.

-Leonard Floyd had a really good game. He was active and while he did not get a sack he was pretty consistently causing disruptions and making hustle plays. It is pretty clear he is not going to be a dominant pass rusher, but as a #2 he looks like he has found a role as Khalil Mack's wing man.

-Rex Ryan said the Khalil Mack trade was the worst trade in NFL History, he is correct, and I am glad that the Bears were on the right side of it.

-Imagine how good Roquan Smith would be if he did not miss that 1 critical tackle a game.

-If Danny Trevathan misses another screen pass I am going to chuck my remote. I think both our ILBs are good and playing well, but they each blow 1 tackle a game that turns into a play for the offense.

-I did not think Prince played well. Those were good WRs, but he was not really contesting that many of the catches.

-I thought Kyle Fuller had a rough start to the game, but bounced back to play really well later in the game.

-Eddie Jackson should be in the Pro Bowl, even with the missed tackles, the dude just makes huge plays and ends up in the endzone.

-Amos getting picks is going to make him more expensive.

-What the defense did to the Vikings run game was mean spirited. Dalvin Cook averaged 1.3 yards per carry and had a fumble. Latavius Murray averaged a staggering 1.2 yards per carry. There best rushing performance of the night was a 5 yard scramble by Cousins where he got lit up.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Great stuff Windy! Always appreciate your post-game thoughts, keep up the great work!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

-I thought we saw a masters class in handling a kicker from Matt Nagy with this entire Parkey situation. If you watch Nagy he gives him the wink and immediately goes out to congratulate him after the big kick. Parkey could have very easily gone in the tank, he could have cost us in big moments, instead he gets a confidence boosting moment and walks away feeling like his coach has his back.

-Pat O'Donnell needs to be more consistent. We do not need a 25 yard punt in a close game where we grind it out to flip field position.

-Bears Special Teams may always be a hash tag. Makes a FG, kicks ball out of bounds on the kick off, they simply cannot play an entirely clean game.

TELLY46

Liked Posts:
It looks like Mitch has issues when his #1 option is not open ,he can't seem to the pick up 2nd or 3rd,thus just tucks and runs too much,also had few guys open and missed seeing them again,but i'll take the W

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
It looks like Mitch has issues when his #1 option is not open ,he can't seem to the pick up 2nd or 3rd,thus just tucks and runs too much,also had few guys open and missed seeing them again,but i'll take the W

You are literally just parroting what collinsworth said, and none of it has any merit. Trubisky was doing that shit in week 1 for sure and that’s where the comments came from because that was the only game any talking head watched because it was against the great Aaron Rodgers.

It’s week 12 now, try to keep up.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Tabor was cheering a bit too much for a field goal......It reminded me of me when I saw my 1 year old walk for the first time.....

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

Lol you heard the broadcast say that one time and now that’s your narrative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smilebit

Liked Posts:
The defense was on another level unlike anything we've seen from them before. They were just pumped up for this game more than any game we've seen them play so far. I don't know what they took before the game or what got in them but that needs to be seen every week. I don't think any team other than the Saints or the Chiefs could've come in and won that game last night. It didn't matter how many times the offense screwed up you just knew that the defense was gonna make the other team regret getting on the field.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Trubisky went through multiple progressions just a week ago. The Vikings defense is fucking good, just as good as the Bears, better in several aspects.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

This is the first game since week 3 where he has not sat back and gone through his progressions. Against the Lions he was going through full field reads and then torching them.

My guess is that the game plan was not for him to sit back against one of the best pass rushes in the league and expose himself to negative plays.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
You are literally just parroting what collinsworth said, and none of it has any merit. Trubisky was doing that shit in week 1 for sure and that’s where the comments came from because that was the only game any talking head watched because it was against the great Aaron Rodgers.

Well said. People are trying parroting that stupid narrative.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Coverage was good all night and Mitch has been doing well going through reads the 2 prior weeks. It's an incorrect narrative.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
If Mitch couldn't see passed his first read Burton, Miller, Gabriel, & Cohen would not have all the yards they do. And it's usually one of them that converts a 3rd.
Mitch is doing just fine. And the longer he runs this O the better he will get.

Facing defenses like the Vikes & soon the Rams are exactly what he needs to grow. Those D's challenge any QB & if that's the worst Mitch plays against them then the horizon is bright.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Well said. People are trying parroting that stupid narrative.

Kind of a holdover from the other thread but (from what I see) he goes through his reads fine especially for below average pass rushing teams, but the processing is too slow for elite pass rushers like Hunter.

And again that is 2nd half Vikings DL when they had their secondary doing new crazy things to mess with Mitch's pre-snap reads.

I am hoping for improvement in that area when he goes up against Aaron Donald and the stupid diguised blitzes of the friggin' Packers. I am hopeful and excited for growth there.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Agree, Trubisky has been going through his progressions very well and getting better at it too. Collinsworth was wrong about him struggling if his first read was not there. Completely inaccurate statement.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Kind of a holdover from the other thread but (from what I see) he goes through his reads fine especially for below average pass rushing teams, but the processing is too slow for elite pass rushers like Hunter.

And again that is 2nd half Vikings DL when they had their secondary doing new crazy things to mess with Mitch's pre-snap reads.

I am hoping for improvement in that area when he goes up against Aaron Donald and the stupid diguised blitzes of the friggin' Packers. I am hopeful and excited for growth there.

I thought he was way better in his reads than earlier in the season, even against a ferocious pass rush.

I am going to rewatch the game tomorrow or Wednesday, but a couple of screen shots that Cian Fahey tweeted out showed no one open.

That happens against good defenses. Luckily our QB can run when that happens.