Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But my main point is it may be a good idea to take a mulligan on 2018. Reduce payroll in the rotation with Mills and Butler. Then work on locking up Bryant and Russell with that cost savings.

But the idea of trading Baez etc to get more starting dept would start to pay off in 2019. Say they got a guy like Max Fried who would be ready then. Add him to Clifton with Lester and Hendricks. Then retain either Mills or Butler. Which ever has more staying power in 2018 (Mills is on the DL but is doing really well in preventing walks).

At that point Cease would be at AA. Hatch and De la Cruz at AAA. Thus the next wave hitting.

Just my opinion but long term it makes more sense vs being forced to trade home grown bats due to pay roll concerns due to paying for over priced pitching.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
But my main point is it may be a good idea to take a mulligan on 2018. Reduce payroll in the rotation with Mills and Butler. Then work on locking up Bryant and Russell with that cost savings.

But the idea of trading Baez etc to get more starting dept would start to pay off in 2019. Say they got a guy like Max Fried who would be ready then. Add him to Clifton with Lester and Hendricks. Then retain either Mills or Butler. Which ever has more staying power in 2018 (Mills is on the DL but is doing really well in preventing walks).

At that point Cease would be at AA. Hatch and De la Cruz at AAA. Thus the next wave hitting.

Just my opinion but long term it makes more sense vs being forced to trade home grown bats due to pay roll concerns due to paying for over priced pitching.
Looking like they took a mulligan in 2017 with Lackey and Anderson on the back end.

I think their going to eventually need an upgrade on at least one of these two at some point this season in order to compete for 1st place...

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looking like they took a mulligan in 2017 with Lackey and Anderson on the back end.

I think their going to eventually need an upgrade on at least one of these two at some point this season in order to compete for 1st place...

Anderson was unexpected. I was pretty sure that they would have given it to Montgomery.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

They'll win the division with their eyes closed. The issue is whether they're going to contend for the pennant. Some of the farm pieces are going to have to move for a pitcher. I think Edie Butler is going to get a chance to be the #5 as soon as Anderson has his first injury and if that works then you're looking for at least an MOR but hopefully a TOR. To me Happ is the most likely to go. Baez might be a weightier piece but they don't have a guy who can sub for Russell if they move him.

July will be interesting but really you're worried about winning the division? Who do think could overtake them? I'd say Milwaukee is the second best team in the division but they're not nearly ready. Right now the Cubs look like a 92-93 win team and I think Milwaukee might win 82.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They'll win the division with their eyes closed. The issue is whether they're going to contend for the pennant. Some of the farm pieces are going to have to move for a pitcher. I think Edie Butler is going to get a chance to be the #5 as soon as Anderson has his first injury and if that works then you're looking for at least an MOR but hopefully a TOR. To me Happ is the most likely to go. Baez might be a weightier piece but they don't have a guy who can sub for Russell if they move him.

July will be interesting but really you're worried about winning the division? Who do think could overtake them? I'd say Milwaukee is the second best team in the division but they're not nearly ready. Right now the Cubs look like a 92-93 win team and I think Milwaukee might win 82.

Organizationally, I think Jiminez goes before happ. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see where he fits because Schwarber is gonna be your LF long term and Almora is probably your CF. Maybe you argue heyward leaves but he seems happy here and is finally playing decent. Plus I'm not sure jiminez can play RF. Since being a cub he almost exclusively played LF.

In my eyes, happ is probably the future Baez/Zobrist role of a sorta starter/bench guy. If heyward does leave you can push Bryant to RF and play Baez at 3B or some combo using happ in OF

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So Candelario has 10 doubles, 2 triples and 3 hr's in 17 games. Nearly an xbh a game.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Organizationally, I think Jiminez goes before happ. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see where he fits because Schwarber is gonna be your LF long term and Almora is probably your CF. Maybe you argue heyward leaves but he seems happy here and is finally playing decent. Plus I'm not sure jiminez can play RF. Since being a cub he almost exclusively played LF.

In my eyes, happ is probably the future Baez/Zobrist role of a sorta starter/bench guy. If heyward does leave you can push Bryant to RF and play Baez at 3B or some combo using happ in OF

That makes sense but Jimenez has perennial All Star written all over him while Happ looks to be a solid MLB hitter, but probably not a superstar. It's tough decision as there is still plenty of talent in the system but not that many guys that project as stars. Do you trade away the one guy who could be? I don't know but this FO has some tough decisions coming.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That makes sense but Jimenez has perennial All Star written all over him while Happ looks to be a solid MLB hitter, but probably not a superstar. It's tough decision as there is still plenty of talent in the system but not that many guys that project as stars. Do you trade away the one guy who could be? I don't know but this FO has some tough decisions coming.
I still think Schwarber ends up being traded eventually....

He'll net them the pitching they need and if it comes down to who to sign or not to big money I think they would have to hold onto Bryant Russell Rizzo pitchers ahead of him.

I hope to see them all stay but like TC says, they got a lot of tough decisions to make these next couple off seasons with all the young talent they have..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I still think Schwarber ends up being traded eventually....

He'll net them the pitching they need and if it comes down to who to sign or not to big money I think they would have to hold onto Bryant Russell Rizzo pitchers ahead of him.

If the Cubs were at all willing to trade Schwarber they would've done it last year, after his injury, for 2.5 years of Andrew Miller. That was the offer that was on the table from the Yankees. The Cubs refused, and gave up Torres in exchange for half a season of Chapman instead. That's how much the Cubs like Schwarber. You can speculate about him getting traded all you want, but it will still be an absurd misjudgment on how much the front office likes him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs were at all willing to trade Schwarber they would've done it last year, after his injury, for 2.5 years of Andrew Miller. That was the offer that was on the table from the Yankees. The Cubs refused, and gave up Torres in exchange for half a season of Chapman instead. That's how much the Cubs like Schwarber. You can speculate about him getting traded all you want, but it will still be an absurd misjudgment on how much the front office likes him.
Maybe they didn't want Miller that bad or as I heard they just didn't want to trade an injured Schwarber..

There has been lots of players loved by management over the years but still get moved...
If the right deal comes up for Schwarber they will definitely consider it..
Hell it may end up being best for Schwarber career to be moved to an AL team where he can DH and maybe even play some 1B eventually instead of the OF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

czman

Liked Posts:

That is how much they like him at the time. Things change. What people will give up changes.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Right now Schwarber is the 10th ranked LF in baseball. All he has to do is steadily improve.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=24,d

Eh, way too small of a sample size to make objective conclusions, but I agree that Schwarber has never been anywhere near as bad as most casual fans make him out to be. Unfortunately for Schwarber, when the plebes think of him they immediately jump to the 2015 NLCS lowlights. Truth is he was never that bad in the second half of '15 or since then.

czman

Liked Posts:
Small sample size. It also shows he has the worst range and the worst defensive runs saved. His is painful to watch run. He does get a good jump, but he moves like straight ass.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The trade talk with Schwarber won't really happen in the front office until Eloy is ready to get called up, and the chance that Heyward declines his options and stays here. Otherwise I think thy keep Schwarbs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Unless it is a legit ace in return I doubt the Cubs are trading either Schwarber or Eloy. First they have to see what Heyward does. If he sticks then they have to decide if they want Almora in CF every day. If that is a yes to both then they have to make a decision on Schwarber or Eloy.

They won't make tough decisions until there are no choices.

But ideally if you keep Heyward and Almora. Happ at 2B as a SH. Russell at SS. Bryant and Rizzo with Contreras. The line up is heavy to the right side. Happ nets a 3rd lefty but Schwarber balances the line up.

I believe they would rather give up Eloy all things played out but only if they were going after a pitcher equal to Jake.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:

This. It won't even be a race by August/September. At the dead line, Theo will drop some assets on pitching and we'll have a shot of winning it all again. Will we actually win the world series? Who knows -- but we'll be one of a handful of teams that will have a chance.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This. It won't even be a race by August/September. At the dead line, Theo will drop some assets on pitching and we'll have a shot of winning it all again. Will we actually win the world series? Who knows -- but we'll be one of a handful of teams that will have a chance.

Theo already said that they made their moves in the off season. I believe the fact that they won it gave them a pass this year. They moved some guys that were not in the plans. They got a closer and 2 AAA starting pitchers for depth in return. Then they did a short term signing in Anderson.

I would be shocked if they did another rental. Using Candilerio for a long term starter is another story.

I'm thinking that we will hear crickets.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So Happ leading off in CF. 8th HR and 5 RBI's. Makes you wonder if they are going back to plan A with him. He is honestly the ideal replacement for Fowler.