Bears head coaching job will be coveted.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We Bears fans need to stop with this shit. The glory days of the Bears and the mystique of a charter franchise and the black and blue and all that shit is gone for good. The meatball mentality is what keeps the McCaskeys thinking losing is hunky dory so long as their pockets are filled.

This organization is a joke and an embarrassment. Any high profile coach or GM will steer the fuck away from here when they have to answer to the imbeciles that own this team.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We Bears fans need to stop with this shit. The glory days of the Bears and the mystique of a charter franchise and the black and blue and all that shit is gone for good. The meatball mentality is what keeps the McCaskeys thinking losing is hunky dory so long as their pockets are filled.

This organization is a joke and an embarrassment. Any high profile coach or GM will steer the fuck away from here when they have to answer to the imbeciles that own this team.

You're speaking nothing but nonsense here. The fans have already spoken loudly the past two seasons by not showing up to the games. The stadium is largely unfilled and just gets worse as the season goes on. They intentionally avoid showing it on TV during the games. You can routinely find cheap tickets on the re-sale market or just outside of Soldier Field with people re-selling their tickets at a loss because people don't even want to pay the face value to witness this shit. Probably the most fucked over are the United Club seat ticket holders.

Sorry xbrah, but I jumped off the Pace express.

Hey man, do you. I don't expect anyone to take my opinions and run with it. Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course. I'm not some asshole that expects people to take my opinions and accept them as theirs.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
pace needs to commit to some big free agents this offseason, pony up the money....no more signing a ton of 3rd tier free agent 1yr deals to see what sticks.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
pace needs to commit to some big free agents this offseason, pony up the money....no more signing a ton of 3rd tier free agent 1yr deals to see what sticks.

Does he really have an option if he wants more than next year? He needs to get two WRs in FA and at least one in the draft; preferably in the top 3 rounds.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
To answer your question, in about 5 minutes of looking, and just picking random teams without looking at the entire NFL, both Sashi Brown and Bob Quinn have as many starters in 2 drafts as the Bears have had in the past 3, well outpacing the 2 that you can't attribute to Emery.

What does it mean? Nothing, partially because the cupboard was bare to begin with, so it is much easier to get on the field. Neither of those franchises are ones to emulate, and it probably tells you something that those jumped out so quickly. If Pace continues to draft like he did in 2016, great, but we are both arguing the same point that it is too early to make that call, we just are balancing each other out.

Also, nowhere did I argue that there was a better alternative to Pace, simply that he has had just as much or more negative as he has positive, and I "understand" people that aren't happy with him.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Pace isn't averaging 2 players per draft. You're holding onto this an repeating it over and over again. So what. He only managed to get two players from THAT draft. The subsequent drafts weren't that bad. I really go batshit crazy reading statements like that because, and please follow this logic to completion, WHAT GM DRAFTED MORE STARTERS IN THE PAST THREE YEARS? Furthermore you're also ignoring that Ryan Pace had no choice but to go into his first draft with Phil Emery's scouting staff in place. Do you truly not see a chasm between the 2015 draft and the 2016 draft? So you're holding onto one draft and pointing to it as if its his end all be all. Except not only is it not his end all be all, WHO EXACTLY WOULD HAVE DRAFTED MORE STARTERS FROM 2015 TO 2017? I will gladly eat my words if you find me one single GM that took the job in recent years and found more starters.

Entirely aside from all of that is the fact that people have seriously wide ranging differences in what they perceive to be starters, quality starters and superstars. For some reason people somehow think that GMs are going to find stars and superstars at most positions. The fact is the vast majority of NFL players are just starters. Hell, we have some star / borderline superstar players that people shit on if they don't ball out every single game. Guys like Hicks and Goldman are stud players we have and people even complain about players on that level. I just throw my hands up in the air and say I give up when I see shit like that.

Do you see what I am getting at? Its easy to point fingers but who exactly was the better alternative? And don't give me potential hires that haven't done anything. I am talking about GMs currently on the clock with drafts on record. Some people just have unrealistic standards and have to come to grips with that fact.

So in summary yes you're right, we agree on many things but that is certainly one thing we don't agree on.

His drafting is not the problem as I see it. He had a bad 2015 draft, no two ways about it. When your first and third round picks are busts, the conclusion is inescapable. But he has improved year on year.

He is currently a really good College scout with no real intuitive understanding of the other requirements of being a GM. He has been embedded in a successful organisation so that is a plus but there is no doubt he is learning the other aspects of the role on the job with, being kind, mixed results.

I liked the Trubisky pick and feel he deserves to hire the next coach and see how he develops. Four years will also be enough time for us to evaluate whether he can do the other critical parts of the job like pro scouting, market evaluation and roster building that he currently sucks at.

But he absolutely can not afford a third terrible season in a row. I give him a pass for year 1: 6-10 was actually a reasonable return for a team that needed to be rebuilt. But two back-to-back 3-13 seasons is a really bad look for a GM. It’s already going to be incredibly embarrassing for him to get up there in January and repeat himself about understanding that results must improve. Next year they just HAVE TO IMPROVE.

If this time next year, we are way below .500 and out of contention, it won’t matter how much potential you guys think the roster has or how well you think Pace has drafted. The call for him to be fired will be deafening and I will be fully on board with it.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To answer your question, in about 5 minutes of looking, and just picking random teams without looking at the entire NFL, both Sashi Brown and Bob Quinn have as many starters in 2 drafts as the Bears have had in the past 3, well outpacing the 2 that you can't attribute to Emery.

What does it mean? Nothing, partially because the cupboard was bare to begin with, so it is much easier to get on the field. Neither of those franchises are ones to emulate, and it probably tells you something that those jumped out so quickly. If Pace continues to draft like he did in 2016, great, but we are both arguing the same point that it is too early to make that call, we just are balancing each other out.

Also, nowhere did I argue that there was a better alternative to Pace, simply that he has had just as much or more negative as he has positive, and I "understand" people that aren't happy with him.

Fair enough

His drafting is not the problem as I see it. He had a bad 2015 draft, no two ways about it. When your first and third round picks are busts, the conclusion is inescapable. But he has improved year on year.

He is currently a really good College scout with no real intuitive understanding of the other requirements of being a GM. He has been embedded in a successful organisation so that is a plus but there is no doubt he is learning the other aspects of the role on the job with, being kind, mixed results.

I liked the Trubisky pick and feel he deserves to hire the next coach and see how he develops. Four years will also be enough time for us to evaluate whether he can do the other critical parts of the job like pro scouting, market evaluation and roster building that he currently sucks at.

But he absolutely can not afford a third terrible season in a row. I give him a pass for year 1: 6-10 was actually a reasonable return for a team that needed to be rebuilt. But two back-to-back 3-13 seasons is a really bad look for a GM. It’s already going to be incredibly embarrassing for him to get up there in January and repeat himself about understanding that results must improve. Next year they just HAVE TO IMPROVE.

If this time next year, we are way below .500 and out of contention, it won’t matter how much potential you guys think the roster has or how well you think Pace has drafted. The call for him to be fired will be deafening and I will be fully on board with it.

I understand and agree that we need to see improvement in the wins category next season or its going to be extremely hard for him to stick around even if he deserves it. The problem I have there is that I don't exactly expect this team to suddenly stop having the injury problems we have been plagued by for so fucking long. Unless things finally calm down with regards to injuries to starters we will potentially find ourselves in another shit situation next season. Even after this coming off-season's moves by Pace to re-sign, release, extend AND add talent from free agency/draft...in my estimation this team still won't have enough depth to survive another major string of injuries to the starters and still win.

Last edited:

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Does he really have an option if he wants more than next year? He needs to get two WRs in FA and at least one in the draft; preferably in the top 3 rounds.

I'm just not sure thats who he is...imagine if pace did spend more on free agents instead of sticking to his guns...The bears could have had malik jackson, ricky wagner, gilmore/jenkins/norman...I hope thats not who he is ....Be aggressive in free agency but i'm not convinced. Yes job security could be an issue from what fans can see but who knows what his leash is like with ownership.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I'm just not sure thats who he is...imagine if pace did spend more on free agents instead of sticking to his guns...The bears could have had malik jackson, ricky wagner, gilmore/jenkins/norman...I hope thats not who he is ....Be aggressive in free agency but i'm not convinced. Yes job security could be an issue from what fans can see but who knows what his leash is like with ownership.

Counterpoint: we go 5-11 next year after a good draft but inactive free agency. Pace gets fired with $40m in cap space.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're speaking nothing but nonsense here. The fans have already spoken loudly the past two seasons by not showing up to the games. The stadium is largely unfilled and just gets worse as the season goes on. They intentionally avoid showing it on TV during the games. You can routinely find cheap tickets on the re-sale market or just outside of Soldier Field with people re-selling their tickets at a loss because people don't even want to pay the face value to witness this shit. Probably the most fucked over are the United Club seat ticket holders.

No nonsense here man. Yes they have lost a few bucks in recent years but they are still making plenty of money from fans living in the past. The meatballs act like the Bears are still a choice destination for HC's and GM's but the opposite is the truth.

And ownership can patronize us fans over and over but until they do something different it means dick. They hire Pace over Ballard because he was not going to upset the applecart at Halas Hall, Fox returns after last season, they refuse to fire Fox mid season this year, etc.

Ownership is the problem with the Bears and until they sell the team or hire a GM/HC who they will give full autonomy to they will never be successful. My point stands that the top HC's and GM's will stay away from here when they have to answer to the doodleheads that own the team.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Weiderer and Campbell podcast was all about how attractive the Bears job is and I think they summed it up well.

It will all come down to how much the coach likes Mitch Trubisky.

The Bears will not be able to offer the job security of other jobs. They will not be able to offer a coach his input on GM. That will hurt them compared to other jobs.

So we will see what the Bears can do within those parameters.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think if they want a top candidate they're going to have to offer a five or six year deal. I don't expect that to happen.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pace might not deserve to be fired. But he deserves to be taken out behind the wood shed and beat on for awhile.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace might not deserve to be fired. But he deserves to be taken out behind the wood shed and beat on for awhile.

I say that depends. If Pace has not wanted to fire John Fox from the end of last season up until now then he should be fired. I suspect it's the McCaskeys meddling though but we can only speculate.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I say that depends. If Pace has not wanted to fire John Fox from the end of last season up until now then he should be fired. I suspect it's the McCaskeys meddling though but we can only speculate.
What if as others have said here, he doesn't want anyone here to be interim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Visionman

Liked Posts:
John Fox was an interim the day they drafted a QB early. Why did Pace keep him year 3?

Because McCaskey's said he had to. They are the ones forking over the millions for the HC. Let's just be glad Pace wasn't told he had to keep Fox indefinitely, and even give him a contract extension. Our owner meddles...but others meddle a LOT more...

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because McCaskey's said he had to. They are the ones forking over the millions for the HC. Let's just be glad Pace wasn't told he had to keep Fox indefinitely, and even give him a contract extension. Our owner meddles...but others meddle a LOT more...

These other owners who meddle a lot more also win a lot more. No use for meddling owners who are football clueless.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
These other owners who meddle a lot more also win a lot more. No use for meddling owners who are football clueless.

We don't need an owner who meddles (although I can point to a lot who do and won SB's) but we do need an owner who provides a winning culture and environment and show a passion for wanting to win.

The McCaskey silver-spoon shitwads and an ole bag who got the team only because her older brother died of a "heart attack"... are not who players want to put it all out there for.

The last time we had a team that really wanted to play for the organization was the 2004-12 Bears who were playing for their coach.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The McCaskeys are not going to sell their father's/grandfather's charter team, especially when it's the family's only business. If they were like some other owners and had made their money elsewhere and the team was a hobby, maybe, but not when it's their livelihood and family legacy. As much as it might be best for the team, it's not going to happen.