Cubs free agent signings and trades

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just seems like they are going with Montgomery in the rotation still.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Just seems like they are going with Montgomery in the rotation still.

Thought that was the plan anyway? Especially since they declined on Hammel.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Thought that was the plan anyway? Especially since they declined on Hammel.

Seems to be. His BB rate is of concern but I'm not worried. When it came down to it he stepped up on the biggest stage at the highest moment of pressure. He deserves a legit opertunity.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com | @CarrieMuskat | December 2nd, 2016 + 21 COMMENTS
As expected, the Cubs on Friday tendered contracts to all four of their arbitration-eligible players, including Jake Arrieta. But they non-tendered four pre-arbitration players to make room on the 40-man roster ahead of next week's Winter Meetings.

Beginning Monday, MLB.com and MLB Network will have wall-to-wall coverage of the 2016 Winter Meetings from the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center outside Washington, D.C. Fans can watch live streaming of all news conferences and manager availability on MLB.com, including the Rule 5 Draft on Thursday at 9 a.m. ET.
Besides Arrieta, the Cubs tendered contracts to relievers Hector Rondon, Pedro Strop and Justin Grimm, all of whom are now considered signed for 2017 at a salary to be determined via the arbitration process unless a deal can be reached prior to a hearing. Had they not been tendered contracts before Friday's deadline, they would have become free agents.
• Hot Stove Tracker
That was the case Friday for four players on the 40-man roster who were not yet eligible for arbitration: left-handers Gerardo Concepcion and Zac Rosscup, right-hander Conor Mullee and infielder Christian Villanueva. Those moves cut the Cubs' 40-man roster to 35 players, including lefty Brian Duensing, who signed a one-year free-agent contract earlier in the day.
Of the players cut loose, Rosscup had the most experience, making 61 relief appearances with the Cubs from 2013-15. Concecpion made three appearances for the 2016 World Series champions, and Mullee appeared in the big leagues for the Yankees.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I really wanted to see Villanueva get some time next season, but with the broken leg and a year off, there are probably not alot of teams that will jump to sign him, but he can definitely turn into one of those MaGehee deals where he has a decent career if he gets a chance to hit because his glove is that good. Cubs needed to keep him on the roster and I dont think they are finished with him, just hoping for another minor league contract and more time.

Concepcion was our first cuba signing, completely fell out almost immediately. good riddance.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
TRADE

Jorge Soler for Wade Davis

Cubs got their Closer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Ron Burgundy

Source: Cubs complete trade for KC's Davis

The Cubs, adding more depth to the bullpen and possibly a new closer, completed a deal Wednesday to acquire Wade Davis from the Royals for outfielder Jorge Soler, according to a source.

More...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Some speculation on MLB Network was Soler and Happ and Mike Lowell even said "You start there, and maybe add some prospects."

One for one? I can live with that.

I like Jorge and wish him well. But they dealt from a position of some depth. Good move.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Cubs' Caleb Smith: Traded to Cubs
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire
Smith, who was selected by the Brewers in Thursday's Rule 5 draft, was traded to the Cubs for cash.

The Brewers essentially made the pick for the Cubs, who did not have a pick in the major league phase of the draft. Smith, a 25-year-old southpaw, has logged close to 200 innings at Double-A, but has just 4.1 innings under his belt at Triple-A. Last season he posted a 3.96 ERA, 1.35 WHIP and 70:20 K:BB in 63.2 innings in the Eastern League. The Cubs will have to keep him on the active roster all season, otherwise he will be exposed to waivers and offered back to the Yankees.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
thats a pretty big downside of needing to keep him on the roster. If he has a bad few games we will see him go to the DL for hangnail or something.

Padres pretty busy today, three top picks of guys who have not made it yet.

So far the cubs lose only Armando Rivero, a pitcher I did not even know we had in the system.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
thats a pretty big downside of needing to keep him on the roster. If he has a bad few games we will see him go to the DL for hangnail or something.

Padres pretty busy today, three top picks of guys who have not made it yet.

So far the cubs lose only Armando Rivero, a pitcher I did not even know we had in the system.
Where did Rivero go? All I know ishe was once touted as our future closer a couple years ago. Guess he never really panned out yet.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Where did Rivero go? All I know ishe was once touted as our future closer a couple years ago. Guess he never really panned out yet.
Braves

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@GDubCub: Cubs sign veteran reliever Uehara for one year, $6 million bit.ly/2hGFXIh

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pen is pretty strong

Wade
Uehara
Rondon
Strop
Grimm
Edwards
Smith
Duensing

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a huge fan of this signing. Was a fan of his at one point but he's given up a shit ton of HR's over the past few seasons. And I would expect that # to go up playing at Wrigley.

Why? Wrigley is not a hitters park most of the time. It can be when the wind blows out, but the majority of games havent been that way in some time. Especially, in the colder months.

Park factors 2016. Wrigley is bottom third for home runs. Wrigley being a hitters park is a complete myth depending on time.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

Also, this was true when Baez hit that home run against San Fran. The Trajectory said it should of went 375 plus and it barely landed in the basket at 360 or so.