Bears head coaching job will be coveted.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
For what it's worth, I remember Giants fans wanting Coughlin gone & sited his age before they won a SB. Then they cooled off after wining a SB for a year or two and started it up again...then they won another SB...

Pete Carroll is 66, guys. I understand disagreeing with Fox's coaching philosophy, but his age has nothing to do with it. If we make the playoffs next year, and he wants to continue coaching, he'll get an extension.

Why do you guys keep comparing Fox to old coaches that are actually good and have won rings? Do you see the issue with comparing to Coughlin and Carroll? Hell like I said, even Levy was an innovator worthy of keeping at an old age. I predict the next post will be about Belichick being over 60.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I dont mind John Fox, but at the emd of the day I give Vic Fangio the keys. If he wants to be coach let him, if he wants to be DC and coach under Fox, that's what we should do. If he wants to be DC under another coach, then let his wish be our command..

Whatever we need to do to secure Vic Fangio it must be done.

You "don't mind" Fox going 9-23 in his first 2 years? You "don't mind" Fox getting failing to win a playoff game w/ Peyton Manning and the #1 or #2 seed twice in 3 years? You "don't mind" Fox getting to Superbowl that 1 other year with Manning just to get completely blown out? You "don't mind" Fox sticking with Glennon and running an offense that's unwilling to open up the playbook? You "don't mind" that Fox has a terrible history of developing QBs and young teams in general?

You guys really need to stop settling. Fox was a mediocre hire to begin with. He'll be the thing that holds a great team back from being great if he's ever allowed to get to that point. He always has been that. Always will be that. And Fangio, who I love, isn't that great that you let him dictate the next coach. That's just asinine.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I want nothing more than the Bears to win out, go 8-0 the rest of the year, get into the playoffs, and win the Superbowl this year. But damn, a part of me can't wait for you guys to come back down to Earth when the Bears inevitably lose today's game or if they don't lose, finish 3-5 the 2nd half of the season just like they did the first half. Fox is not good enough. This team isn't good enough. People are penciling in wins based on the schedule, when the Bears are only marginally better (if at all) than most of the teams they have left to play. This team got blown out by Tampa. They made mental mistakes (a Fox team trademark) and lost 2 close games, while barely winning a game that should have been a blowout.

I don't know what's worst, acting like 8-8 is a foregone conclusion or acting like getting to 8-8 is some sort of great accomplishment.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Coaches will want the job if they believe in the QB. The more we get from Trubisky the rest of the season, the better it will be as far as making the job wanted.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Why do you guys keep comparing Fox to old coaches that are actually good and have won rings? Do you see the issue with comparing to Coughlin and Carroll? Hell like I said, even Levy was an innovator worthy of keeping at an old age. I predict the next post will be about Belichick being over 60.

You jumped to that conclusion. I cited that age isn't a disqualification. Posters keep bringing up age as a negative for Fox. I didn't compare resumes. But even then, the critique of Carroll & Coughlin were similar to Fox in not winning the big one...until it happened late in their careers. Now it's hindsight being 20/20.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy for some organizations. Keep faulting successful regular season coaches for failing to win a SB and fire them. So of course, they never win a Super Bowl.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
You jumped to that conclusion. I cited that age isn't a disqualification. Posters keep bringing up age as a negative for Fox. I didn't compare resumes. But even then, the critique of Carroll & Coughlin were similar to Fox in not winning the big one...until it happened late in their careers. Now it's hindsight being 20/20.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy for some organizations. Keep faulting successful regular season coaches for failing to win a SB and fire them. So of course, they never win a Super Bowl.

Carroll spent most of his head coaching career in college. Coughlin, you have a point. But my point is that Fox isn't even that successful of a regular season coach. 131-116. .530 winning percentage. Carroll had a better win % than that in New England when he coached there in the 90s. So, as I've been saying....age IS a negative for Fox, because he's not good. He's a coordinator driven coach (as has been pointed out) and his OC isn't even good.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
You "don't mind" Fox going 9-23 in his first 2 years? You "don't mind" Fox getting failing to win a playoff game w/ Peyton Manning and the #1 or #2 seed twice in 3 years? You "don't mind" Fox getting to Superbowl that 1 other year with Manning just to get completely blown out? You "don't mind" Fox sticking with Glennon and running an offense that's unwilling to open up the playbook? You "don't mind" that Fox has a terrible history of developing QBs and young teams in general?

You guys really need to stop settling. Fox was a mediocre hire to begin with. He'll be the thing that holds a great team back from being great if he's ever allowed to get to that point. He always has been that. Always will be that. And Fangio, who I love, isn't that great that you let him dictate the next coach. That's just asinine.

This may be the most incompetent post I have seen on this board in a while. I simply do not understand people who blame Fox for losing when we were in REBUILD mode. Rebuild mode isn't as concerned with winning now as it is with developing players and giving young and inexperienced guys an opportunity to grow within the game. The priority is to build a playoff caliber team for the future instead of the wining a handful of games at the sacrifice for long-term development. One is setting for mediocrity, the other is patient progress. The defense was a s**t hole when Fox inherited it and the offense was an aging and quickly declining unit. This team is primed to win in the very near future because of the efforts the coaching staff have put in to be patient with the process.

Complaining about a coach who helped build a playoff is silly. Considering where we have been the last decade we would be fortunate to be talking about losing the Superbowl and having the #1 or #2 seed locked up. It is unrealistic to expect the next coach to be Bill Belicheck and have the track record to back it up. Everyone other candidate you all mention doesn't have as a successful track record in the NFL so you all dream one up.

Reality is that John Fox will be the coach in the future. We will win 8+ games this year, Defense will continue to show dominance, and the offense will show signs of improvement. We very well could be in the playoff race at the end of the year, but I am not getting my hopes up as we are ahead of schedule if we do make it. Next year is the year to expect a playoff appearance.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I want nothing more than the Bears to win out, go 8-0 the rest of the year, get into the playoffs, and win the Superbowl this year. But damn, a part of me can't wait for you guys to come back down to Earth when the Bears inevitably lose today's game or if they don't lose, finish 3-5 the 2nd half of the season just like they did the first half. Fox is not good enough. This team isn't good enough. People are penciling in wins based on the schedule, when the Bears are only marginally better (if at all) than most of the teams they have left to play. This team got blown out by Tampa. They made mental mistakes (a Fox team trademark) and lost 2 close games, while barely winning a game that should have been a blowout.

I don't know what's worst, acting like 8-8 is a foregone conclusion or acting like getting to 8-8 is some sort of great accomplishment.

Another thing to note, the most successful organization in football regarding SBs, the Steelers, have had 3 freaking coaches in 48 years. The most unsuccessful organization in American sports, the Cubs, routinely fired their managers every 3 years or so for decades. I know, "apples & oranges" but there's something to be said for a correlation of continuity.

I'll just say I'll wait for the season to end before drawing conclusions. Sure, if we lose 10 games this year fire Fox. I'm okay with it. But an 8 win season? Gotta think he deserves his final year.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
This may be the most incompetent post I have seen on this board in a while. I simply do not understand people who blame Fox for losing when we were in REBUILD mode. Rebuild mode isn't as concerned with winning now as it is with developing players and giving young and inexperienced guys an opportunity to grow within the game. The priority is to build a playoff caliber team for the future instead of the wining a handful of games at the sacrifice for long-term development. One is setting for mediocrity, the other is patient progress. The defense was a s**t hole when Fox inherited it and the offense was an aging and quickly declining unit. This team is primed to win in the very near future because of the efforts the coaching staff have put in to be patient with the process.

Complaining about a coach who helped build a playoff is silly. Considering where we have been the last decade we would be fortunate to be talking about losing the Superbowl and having the #1 or #2 seed locked up. It is unrealistic to expect the next coach to be Bill Belicheck and have the track record to back it up. Everyone other candidate you all mention doesn't have as a successful track record in the NFL so you all dream one up.

Reality is that John Fox will be the coach in the future. We will win 8+ games this year, Defense will continue to show dominance, and the offense will show signs of improvement. We very well could be in the playoff race at the end of the year, but I am not getting my hopes up as we are ahead of schedule if we do make it. Next year is the year to expect a playoff appearance.

That's not reality. That's what you want and think will happen. And there's really no reason to think this team will win 5 of 8 games. Detroit is a better team, they play them twice. Philly's clearly better. Vikings are a better team. At best, the Bears are similar to Cincy. And the Bears aren't good enough to just assume they are going to beat Cleveland, SF, and GB today without Rodgers. This team has won 3 games, 2 in OT and the other thanks to multiple 80+ defensive TDS. There's nothing that says that is sustainable or that the offense will automatically improve. They still have the same shit WRs. Lost their best TE. And there's still the injury factor. To say those things definitely WILL happen is insanity.

And I'm not blaming Fox for not winning in a rebuild as much as I'm saying he's not a good enough coach. If he still had 3 years on his contract, I still wouldn't want him back, but I'd understand. I don't understand going into the last year of his contract and you still don't know if he's the long-term coach. The fact that he is 63, hasn't won a title, and hasn't developed a young QB which the Bears now have all are reason not to retain him as coach. And you can't overlook the fact that he actually went backwards during the rebuild.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
It's sad that this job is coveted yet the Bears still won't hire anyone good because they're afraid of rocking the boat

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What if I told you the Bears have 19 players on this team from Fox's first year in 2015 (includes IR players like Meredith who hasn't played this year) and the best team in the NFC, the Philadelphia Eagles have 16 from the 2015 roster?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The 2014 Chicago Bears roster that Ryan Pace inherited in 2015:

Jared Allen
Blake Annen
David Bass
Josh Bellamy
Martellus Bennett
Taylor Boggs
Jonathan Bostic
Lance Briggs
Eben Britton
Jermon Bushrod
Jeremy Cain
Ka'Deem Carey
Jimmy Clausen
Chris Conte
Jay Cutler
Brian De La Puente
Ahmad Dixon
Shaun Draughn
Brandon Dunn
Jay Feely
Ego Ferguson
Tony Fiammetta
Matt Forte
Isaiah Frey
Kyle Fuller
Roberto Garza
Robbie Gould
Khaseem Greene
Ryan Groy
Santonio Holmes
Lamarr Houston
Demontre Hurst
Alshon Jeffery
Tim Jennings
Christian Jones
DeDe Lattimore
Charles Leno
Kyle Long
Al Louis-Jean
Terrell Manning
Marc Mariani
Brandon Marshall
Shea McClellin
Danny McCray
Sherrick McManis
Jordan Mills
Josh Morgan
Matthew Mulligan
Ryan Mundy
Pat O'Donnell
Michael Ola
Montell Owens
Stephen Paea
Senorise Perry
Jay Ratliff
Dante Rosario
Rashad Ross
Trevor Scott
Darryl Sharpton
Matt Slauson
Micheal Spurlock
Will Sutton
Charles Tillman
Brock Vereen
Anthony Walters
Cornelius Washington
Chris Williams
Chris Williams
D.J. Williams
Teddy Williams
Marquess Wilson
Willie Young

Point out 19 players. Oh. Right. You can't.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2014_roster.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2017_roster.htm

Issues

Liked Posts:
Our defense is very under rated. Don't forget we actually beat the Pittsburg Steelers!!!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Another thing to note, the most successful organization in football regarding SBs, the Steelers, have had 3 freaking coaches in 48 years. The most unsuccessful organization in American sports, the Cubs, routinely fired their managers every 3 years or so for decades. I know, "apples & oranges" but there's something to be said for a correlation of continuity.

I'll just say I'll wait for the season to end before drawing conclusions. Sure, if we lose 10 games this year fire Fox. I'm okay with it. But an 8 win season? Gotta think he deserves his final year.

Why is an 8 win season enough? What about the last 2.5 years makes you think this team is capable of winning 5 of 8 games? I understand the schedule was much tougher in the first half. Steelers, Falcons, Packers w/ Rodgers, Saints, Ravens. But the Bears haven't shown consistency at all under Fox. To win 5 of 8 they need to be consistent. This team beat a championship contender in Pittsburgh, but got destroyed by a team that has since become a dumpster fire in Tampa. They can't sustain winning games with defensive TDs. They can't sustain winning games with 50% completions. They can't sustain winning by running 45 times per game. We all want Trubisky to show improvement, but he's throwing to the same WRs save for Inman. He has the same OL blocking for him. He has the same OC calling shitty plays. He has the same head coach that has historically been ultraconservative to a detriment to his team's performance.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The 2014 Chicago Bears roster that Ryan Pace inherited in 2015:

Jared Allen
Blake Annen
David Bass
Josh Bellamy
Martellus Bennett
Taylor Boggs
Jonathan Bostic
Lance Briggs
Eben Britton
Jermon Bushrod
Jeremy Cain
Ka'Deem Carey
Jimmy Clausen
Chris Conte
Jay Cutler
Brian De La Puente
Ahmad Dixon
Shaun Draughn
Brandon Dunn
Jay Feely
Ego Ferguson
Tony Fiammetta
Matt Forte
Isaiah Frey
Kyle Fuller
Roberto Garza
Robbie Gould
Khaseem Greene
Ryan Groy
Santonio Holmes
Lamarr Houston
Demontre Hurst
Alshon Jeffery
Tim Jennings
Christian Jones
DeDe Lattimore
Charles Leno
Kyle Long
Al Louis-Jean
Terrell Manning
Marc Mariani
Brandon Marshall
Shea McClellin
Danny McCray
Sherrick McManis
Jordan Mills
Josh Morgan
Matthew Mulligan
Ryan Mundy
Pat O'Donnell
Michael Ola
Montell Owens
Stephen Paea
Senorise Perry
Jay Ratliff
Dante Rosario
Rashad Ross
Trevor Scott
Darryl Sharpton
Matt Slauson
Micheal Spurlock
Will Sutton
Charles Tillman
Brock Vereen
Anthony Walters
Cornelius Washington
Chris Williams
Chris Williams
D.J. Williams
Teddy Williams
Marquess Wilson
Willie Young

Point out 19 players. Oh. Right. You can't.

I can't because we're talking about 2 different years. I clearly said "IN 2015" you are talking about 2014, which is a different season.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It isn't age. It is capability. Fox in incapable. He was incapable at 50. He was incapable at 60. HE is still incapable now. It is the mind that must stay young and keep earning and adapting. Some great coaches like Coughlin, Belichek, Parcel, etc. all coached for a long time yet stayed innovative and had a great quality of LEADERSHIP.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

To again play devil's advocate here, the Cubs also had a manager during the rebuild and replaced him with Joe who finalized the development and management of the team to put them in the NLCS 3 years in a row winning their first WS in forever.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Nope. Fox has been fortunate to have Fangio as his defensive coordinator who is the guy that has really done a great job in building a quality defense. BUt Fox has totally fucked up the offense which is a pathetic product on the field. And what a joke the special teams are including a horrible field goal kicker.

When the hell are the Bears ever going to be relevant in the NFL? When are they actually going to go out and find a good ass kicking head coach.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can't because we're talking about 2 different years. I clearly said "IN 2015" you are talking about 2014, which is a different season.

Simple critical thinking will tell you that if you look at the 2015 roster for the Chicago Bears it shows you the roster that the Bears had for the 2015 season which already includes Ryan Pace's first year free-agency and draft. Because. You know. The entire premise is that Pace turned over practically the entire damned thing. So why would you then compare a roster after his first off-season to today's?

v-:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
For me, the bottom line is winning & improving with what he inherited. His setback season isn't entirely on him due to roster turnover/rebuild. I'm open to firing him for setbacks this year and the next. I would hope that his critics would be open to keeping him due to winning. But there are always critics who will never be flexible because they've already made their mind up that he's not going to be a SB coach regardless of improved records. They always use not winning a SB as justification...well, welcome to the other 31 teams that don't have Belichick & Brady.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Simple critical thinking will tell you that if you look at the 2015 roster for the Chicago Bears it shows you the roster that the Bears had for the 2015 season which already includes Ryan Pace's first year free-agency and draft. Because. You know. The entire premise is that Pace turned over practically the entire damned thing. So why would you then compare a roster after his first off-season to today's?

v-:
It was in response to a comment about how it was difficult for a coach to win with that much turnover. The Eagles are winning with that much turnover. 2015 Eagles included their 2015 draft class also. I wasn't comparing apples to oranges.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk