anyone ever clone hhd to run on another pc?

AussieBear

the art of squirt.

Lesbian-gif-squirt-Meet-Carter-Cruise.gif

458651.gif

squirt-nude-gif.gif

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yes on windows and most linux distros. Linux is easier if you have a generic kernel(or just use multiple kernels) and you know your encryption keys/passwords if used. Windows is tricky, because you essentially need to strip it down to generic drivers so when it's boot up on different hardware, it initialized the driver search.

To find all those extra installed drivers to strip out is easier said than done, and I doubt anyone is going to explain it better in detail. Also, that doesn't mean it will work, only that doing this can work. And yes, you could still have license issues. It's been hit or miss with newer versions of windows for me.

On Mac OS. HAH... good luck. Minor hardware changes aren't bad, major changes will make the OS so slow and unusable, which then makes it harder to dig around and clean the obsolete modules/drivers.

Anyways, for all OSes, backup and fresh install is way faster. My dirty secret is that I'll prep a drive by removing everything but the parts I want to keep(or am unsure of) and resize that into a tiny partition. Fresh install then copy over anything until I have all data/wares on the new install. When done, I'll clone the disk, delete the partition, and transfer the clone image back. Mind you, these are only things I do for friends or if someone pays me. No power user uses just one disk for all their storage, plan ahead and learn to use one small and fast drive strictly for OS and another for software. Dynamic %Program Files% %Program Data% %User Data% etc or whatever windows the path can be set manually.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
People still use Mac OS? But... why?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't have very many positive experiences with cloning hard drives to be honest. Windows is fidgety as fuck. And I am talking about making a direct clone being used on the same computer and the same hardware. Would rather make an image of a hard drive and recover from an image than attempt a direct cloning of a hard drive. The only reliable cloning I have ever done was using standalone hardware specifically made for cloning drives and its not like many people own that kind of hardware.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
the only cloning I have done would be a storage drive.....

A system drive would typically need at least a new windows key if you are putting it on a new motherboard and the drivers for the motherboard would most likely be wrong......better to do a clean install ans store all your non-program data on a storage drive either thru a separate drive or a partition.