Hardware Discussion Thread

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
Legit, yes. Reflective of real world performance?, no. You want a real world benchmark to get real world results. Therefore find applications/games you use most, and many of those do have some form of benchmark and database.

That being said, passmark can be an okay starting point. So many synthetic benchmark tools, you will get a lot of hardware that can pump out great numbers that don't always beat a significantly cheaper competing product for specific use case. Hardware makers know people buy into this trap, build hardware to wow on synthetic benchmarks, then owners complain to developers for slow software on their new expensive hardware. So in a way, even when passmark scores are bunk, the gaming of scores themselves forces developers to pay more attention to certain hardware.

Was looking at FX-8350 Vs. it's slightly up-clocked revision the Fx-8370 (since I've been bargain shopping lately) and was confounded how the latter scored worse on the CPU mark. Granted, the sample size of the was fairly small, but still.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
8370s are faster, but you could line up some bin variance that gets better scores, I suppose. That is an oddity for sure. Maybe the user submitted results were from people who put together OC rigs(even without OCs w/ bench on good motherboards) seeing how it was the most popular AMD OC CPU for about 2 years. Benched both categories and the 8370 users didn't fine tune and that was that. Sometimes you even get fanboys that like to fuck about, see grandma got this new HP to use on facebook, setup passmark scores and that's not close to what you would build. AMD CPUs are far more user optimized than manufacturer optimized than Intel, so discrepancies galore.

I remember when Barton-M Athlon XP 2600+s were the cats meow, because they were cheaper and faster than the Barton Athlon XP 3200+. Same with Williamette Pentium 4s at 1.4GHz and a high ass price being slower than last gen 1.133GHz Coppermines. But I don't think this one is the same, I know the 8370s are faster, best bin for best bin because it's the same damn thing from the same wafers selected to be sold with a higher stock clock.

AussieBear

Legit, yes. Reflective of real world performance?, no. You want a real world benchmark to get real world results. Therefore find applications/games you use most, and many of those do have some form of benchmark and database.

That being said, passmark can be an okay starting point. So many synthetic benchmark tools, you will get a lot of hardware that can pump out great numbers that don't always beat a significantly cheaper competing product for specific use case. Hardware makers know people buy into this trap, build hardware to wow on synthetic benchmarks, then owners complain to developers for slow software on their new expensive hardware. So in a way, even when passmark scores are bunk, the gaming of scores themselves forces developers to pay more attention to certain hardware.

just like bf1... which recommended requirements are for atleast a 2gb card minimum.. and for amd, a HD 7850

i saw i guy bench his 7750 on the game and couldnt play it as well.. varying other hardware parts though....

but in real world...my 1 gb hd 7750 plays it on low @ 1080, hitting 29-40.. but @ 720, i get 50-60 fps on high and 25-35 on ultra.. 900p 35-45 low... 20-28 med...

this is really making me not want to buy a rx 470/480 or 1050ti for what i want to reach.. i may just settle for 900p.. i saw a used 2gb r7 360 going for 50 bucks..

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
R7 360 is a reworked 7850 IIRC. Would be a pretty useless upgrade.

AussieBear

R7 360 is a reworked 7850 IIRC. Would be a pretty useless upgrade.

in the grand scheme of things, youre probably correct. I ordered it anyway. going by those fabled benchmarks, its 112% better than the hd 7750 and i want to see what that means in real world on this set up. i like that r9 280 i used, when it wasnt acting a fool, it wasnt bad. i know its nearly 50% more powerful than the r7 360.. but eh..

regardless, the r7 will still be better than the piece of shat in my old rig... i never cared about ultra 1080p, rather that it would just play at a playable fps for me. constantly watching peoples reviews and numbers probably got into my head though, it made me want 1080p ultra, but to be honest, after fucking around with the hd7750 on bf1 @ 720p ultra and 900p low.. it made me think again..@ 900p on low it plays pretty well and looks decent.. kudos to dice for sure..... a big upgrade will come eventually..

plus, 50 bucks is basically mcdonalds for 4 here.. At the same time, if it performs well enough im going to keep it for awhile. Im in search of a oem HP 600w replacement for the 475w z400 i have now, that'll open things up for me. I thought about adding an adapter and just getting some aftermarket psu, but im not sure about using those adaptors on the oem board for 24/7 use. i saw a 600w awhile back on ebay.. hopefully i dont have to wait very long

1050 ti is about 250+ here and at that price id rather get a rx 470 @ 289, but im like if im spending 289, id rather just go $389 for the 8gb rx 480 gtr. BUT power requirements start to come into play.. i could underclock the 480, but it would defeat the purpose of having it.. so rather than go for want at this time, im buying on need in a sense. Plus new cards are about to drop.. who knows what thatll mean for me..

Also, im not upgrading from 1080p 60 hz to 1440 144 etc.. for now.. so it may be a waste for my system in a sense atm.

AussieBear

also i can crossfire/sli with this board... its another reason i want that 600w psu.. just more options.. there was a pair of 660tis on ebay the other day that went for cheap.. so who knows what im going to do with this thing.. i like this office box.. im committed for sure..

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
8370s are faster, but you could line up some bin variance that gets better scores, I suppose. That is an oddity for sure. Maybe the user submitted results were from people who put together OC rigs(even without OCs w/ bench on good motherboards) seeing how it was the most popular AMD OC CPU for about 2 years. Benched both categories and the 8370 users didn't fine tune and that was that. Sometimes you even get fanboys that like to fuck about, see grandma got this new HP to use on facebook, setup passmark scores and that's not close to what you would build. AMD CPUs are far more user optimized than manufacturer optimized than Intel, so discrepancies galore.

I remember when Barton-M Athlon XP 2600+s were the cats meow, because they were cheaper and faster than the Barton Athlon XP 3200+. Same with Williamette Pentium 4s at 1.4GHz and a high ass price being slower than last gen 1.133GHz Coppermines. But I don't think this one is the same, I know the 8370s are faster, best bin for best bin because it's the same damn thing from the same wafers selected to be sold with a higher stock clock.

Won a bid on a 8350 for $125. Couldn't justify the extra $64 for 100 Mhz of turbo clock on the 8370, especially since it's just going to be a holdover until Zen is a little more refined - assuming it lives up to its hype.

AussieBear

Won a bid on a 8350 for $125. Couldn't justify the extra $64 for 100 Mhz extra of turbo clock on the 8370, especially since it's just going to be a holdover until Zen is a little more refined - assuming it lives up to its hype.

do you already have the board and the rest.. or do you have to buy those too..

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
do you already have the board and the rest.. or do you have to buy those too..

Yeah, already have an AM3+ mobo running my old phenom, so just an easy swap. Won't have to update BIOS for the 8350 either, unlike the 8370 :smug2:

AussieBear

Yeah, already have an AM3+ mobo running my old phenom, so just an easy swap. Won't have to update BIOS for the 8350 either, unlike the 8370 :smug2:

thats a plus... you planning to oc or just run stock

AussieBear

got the r7 360.. that lil fucker is decent with this cpu.. @ stock it runs bf1 @ 900p on high 45-55 fps ( hits 60 fps depending on the map) 1080p low.. 50-60 fps... med... 38-45...high is a playable 30-40.. ultra on 1080p is 27-35.. definitely worth 50 bucks AUD..

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
thats a plus... you planning to oc or just run stock

Gonna run stock at first. Would like to see real world improvements in Doom IV first. Might crank it up a bit on air then. May give me an excuse to finally step into the 90's and get a water cooler for more.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
got the r7 360.. that lil fucker is decent with this cpu.. @ stock it runs bf1 @ 900p on high 45-55 fps ( hits 60 fps depending on the map) 1080p low.. 50-60 fps... med... 38-45...high is a playable 30-40.. ultra on 1080p is 27-35.. definitely worth 50 bucks AUD..

Can't beat price/performance.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:

It appears you are exactly correct. Looked a little deeper and some of the recently submitted results were most definitely above stock speeds. Add to the fact the 8350 is pulling from a sample size of 10,000 chips, VS. only 400 or so of the 8370's.

Now having said that, I just ran passmark and scored above average (yay) at stock. Now what really surprised was how cool this CPU is running at idle and during a few benches - hovering around 28C on my Zalman CNPS9700. Did not expect that with an AMD chip, given my phenom II x4 980 ran 38C on idle. Was even worried when I mounted the fan I used too much thermal paste (I usual use the "grain of rice" method), but it seems I used exactly the correct amount. On the downside it only made it up to 4.09 in turbo. Hrmmm...

ANYWAY. Still happy with this system, even if it is an antique by tech standards. It's running Doom IV perfectly so I'm happy.

AussieBear

It appears you are exactly correct. Looked a little deeper and some of the recently submitted results were most definitely above stock speeds. Add to the fact the 8350 is pulling from a sample size of 10,000 chips, VS. only 400 or so of the 8370's.

Now having said that, I just ran passmark and scored above average (yay) at stock. Now what really surprised was how cool this CPU is running at idle and during a few benches - hovering around 28C on my Zalman CNPS9700. Did not expect that with an AMD chip, given my phenom II x4 980 ran 38C on idle. Was even worried when I mounted the fan I used too much thermal paste (I usual use the "grain of rice" method), but it seems I used exactly the correct amount. On the downside it only made it up to 4.09 in turbo. Hrmmm...

ANYWAY. Still happy with this system, even if it is an antique by tech standards. It's running Doom IV perfectly so I'm happy.

you oc that yet?

AussieBear

sent the wife to hunt down a logitech g600 20 button mouse.. they are on sale here.. ive never bought a gaming mouse.. im fairly simple but im at that lazy point in my life where i need more buttons... hopefully they have some left

AussieBear

sent the wife to hunt down a logitech g600 20 button mouse.. they are on sale here.. ive never bought a gaming mouse.. im fairly simple but im at that lazy point in my life where i need more buttons... hopefully they have some left

leave it to eb to sale something they dont have... shit is not in stock.. so i ended up with a logitech g402... its gonna take some getting use to but its nice having extra buttons..

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just pulled trigger on HTC Vive on $100 off sale.

!!!

Raaawwwrrr!!!!!!!!!!

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Come back and tell us what its like to play stuff in the virtual desktop mode or whatever.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Will do! Just got my tracking number. I am ready to visit the dinosaur zoo!