Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow more big internet talk, I feel so defeated for made fun of for a typo from my phone. I guess it’s easy to use perfect grammar and spelling without any errors from the desktop pc setup in your moms basements. Keep living the dream dude. Peace!

The only possibly screwed thing about this is that Foles can be held onto after other teams have made their QB moves and then have the tag lifted. I suppose Foles can simply threaten to sign it to get it lifted sooner so not even that. He's not playing under the tag this year either way. He'll get a long deal from someone and the Eagles probably get some compensation. Foles is far from fucked.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The only possibly screwed thing about this is that Foles can be held onto after other teams have made their QB moves and then have the tag lifted. I suppose Foles can simply threaten to sign it to get it lifted sooner so not even that. He's not playing under the tag this year either way. He'll get a long deal from someone and the Eagles probably get some compensation. Foles is far from fucked.
Bozo of the Northeast has it wrong. Phi has an option for $20M that they have to pick up a month before FA and the league year start. He can void it and pay back $2M in signing bonus and then Phi can tag him. But still that must happen by March 5 the last day to tag a player and FA doesn't start until March 13th.

If that all plays out, I imagine his agent will be given permission to find a suitor. Foles will get his contract and Phi will get some sort of compensation or Foles will decide to be a back up in Phi for $20M or Foles will sign the $22M tag. He really lacks no leverage that others are pissing and moaning about.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Bozo of the Northeast has it wrong. Phi has an option for $20M that they have to pick up a month before FA and the league year start. He can void it and pay back $2M in signing bonus and then Phi can tag him. But still that must happen by March 5 the last day to tag a player and FA doesn't start until March 13th.

If that all plays out, I imagine his agent will be given permission to find a suitor. Foles will get his contract and Phi will get some sort of compensation or Foles will decide to be a back up in Phi for $20M or Foles will sign the $22M tag. He really lacks no leverage that others are pissing and moaning about.
Stopped right there because of shock.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Ya, I know but it was a what if type answer to the effect of it doesn't matter. Silly season stuff.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

LOL at all of this. Foles immediately declined the option year...not really sure you understand what is going here.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
LOL at all of this. Foles immediately declined the option year...not really sure you understand what is going here.
Yes and Phi will almost assuredly tag him and look for a trade partner or allow Foles and his agent to seek a trade partner for them that gives him a contract he agrees to. Are you LOLing at the fact I can't predict the future?

But you're right I didn't know Foles would void the option year two days before he announced he would.

Man, you have a real hard on to "GOTCHA " my posts...makes me grin just a little bit.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Couple of things, don't think you are allowed to apply the franchise tag officially until you have the cap space so Philly is 16 million over the cap and franchise tag will be 25 million or so. Thus, they need to clear about 41 million in cap space before they can apply it.

Foles has leverage because he can sign the tag immediately whenever Philly applies it. That would thus force them to move him quickly or otherwise hamstring them in FA as that would be 25 million they can't use until they trade him. Foles can also refuse to work a long term deal with a team he doesn't want to be traded too and teams can wait Philly out the first few weeks of FA to ensure they can't make any big moves.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Couple of things, don't think you are allowed to apply the franchise tag officially until you have the cap space so Philly is 16 million over the cap and franchise tag will be 25 million or so. Thus, they need to clear about 41 million in cap space before they can apply it.

Foles has leverage because he can sign the tag immediately whenever Philly applies it. That would thus force them to move him quickly or otherwise hamstring them in FA as that would be 25 million they can't use until they trade him. Foles can also refuse to work a long term deal with a team he doesn't want to be traded too and teams can wait Philly out the first few weeks of FA to ensure they can't make any big moves.

It would mean they have to clear $25mil, not $41mil. Philly isn't $16mil over now that Foles has declined the option - that $ is off their books. They are about $1.7mil over according to spotrac.

I'm pretty sure teams don't have to be under the cap until the start of the league season (they don't even know exactly what the cap will be for 2019-20 right now). So I'm not sure why they couldn't tag him.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Huh? What are you referring to? And what do you mean when you say apply the franchise tag "officially"? What other ways would there be to apply the franchise tag unofficially?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It would mean they have to clear $25mil, not $41mil. Philly isn't $16mil over now that Foles has declined the option - that $ is off their books. They are about $1.7mil over according to spotrac.

I'm pretty sure teams don't have to be under the cap until the start of the league season (they don't even know exactly what the cap will be for 2019-20 right now). So I'm not sure why they couldn't tag him.

Yeah my bad, didn't notice they were including his option in that number. Yeah they have to be under the cap by March 5 I think it is. The point is they can't officially apply the tag until they clear enough cap space by then.

Huh? What are you referring to? And what do you mean when you say apply the franchise tag "officially"? What other ways would there be to apply the franchise tag unofficially?

See above. My point was they have only said they will but will have to get under the cap before they can officially do so.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Yes and Phi will almost assuredly tag him and look for a trade partner or allow Foles and his agent to seek a trade partner for them that gives him a contract he agrees to. Are you LOLing at the fact I can't predict the future?

But you're right I didn't know Foles would void the option year two days before he announced he would.

Man, you have a real hard on to "GOTCHA " my posts...makes me grin just a little bit.

Yeah, who saw that one coming? I liked the idea that Foles could have decided to be a backup for $20M....or he could choose to get more money either with the franchise tag or in free agency. You should be an agent.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Yeah, who saw that one coming? I liked the idea that Foles could have decided to be a backup for $20M....or he could choose to get more money either with the franchise tag or in free agency. You should be an agent.
So you were LOLing at me for putting forth all possible scenarios and not making assumptions for Foles? Seems kinda strange.

Hmm, this must be what Bearmick feels like when those posters keep barking at his heels.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
So you were LOLing at me for putting forth all possible scenarios and not making assumptions for Foles? Seems kinda strange.

Hmm, this must be what Bearmick feels like when those posters keep barking at his heels.

Yes. And I liked your comparison of this situation to "Kurt Cousins", even though they aren't similar at all. And the only part that is comparable (franchise tag-and-trade) is what DIDN'T happen for the Redskins with Cousins.

Another possible scenario is that Nick Foles retires in the next 15 minutes. Good stuff from you, as always. Please keep us abreast on future Nick Foles developments!

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Phi can tag him Feb 19 but don't have to be under the cap until March 13th

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah my bad, didn't notice they were including his option in that number. Yeah they have to be under the cap by March 5 I think it is. The point is they can't officially apply the tag until they clear enough cap space by then.

Dolphins were nearly $20m over the cap last year when Landry signed the franchise tender.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Yes. And I liked your comparison of this situation to "Kurt Cousins", even though they aren't similar at all. And the only part that is comparable (franchise tag-and-trade) is what DIDN'T happen for the Redskins with Cousins.

Another possible scenario is that Nick Foles retires in the next 15 minutes. Good stuff from you, as always. Please keep us abreast on future Nick Foles developments!
True, except it is.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
:lmao:

Please explain! Salary Cap discussions on CCS are usually 'difficult', but this is incredible.
Once tagged, financially, Foles faces the same choices Cousins did, until Phi trades or rescinds. Short and sweet. Your willful ignorance (hopefully or you have Bearfan51 level salary cap understanding) is beginning to bore me. Toodles.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Once tagged, financially, Foles faces the same choices Cousins did, until Phi trades or rescinds. Short and sweet. Your willful ( hopefully or you have Bearfan51 level salary cap capabilities) ignorance is beginning to bore me. Toodles.

What "choices" did Cousins "face"? What on earth are you talking about? This make NO SENSE.

When the Redskins franchise tagged Cousins the first two times, the "choices" Cousins faced was the same as Leveon Bell...you either choose to earn $24M, or you choose to earn $0. The Redskins couldn't afford to tag Cousins a third time for $34M, and Cousins became a free agent. There was no "choice" to be made on his part. The only way any of this makes sense is if you incorrectly remember the Vikings trading with the Redskins for Cousins.

What "choices" does Foles "face"?

Status
Not open for further replies.