Adrian Amos and the Safety Position

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I would not be surprised if they let Amos walk if his demands are in the 10/year range.

I would be surprised if they sign a big name safety.

The one that Hub mentions specifically is Tyrann Mathieu.
I agree with you. Bears will make Amos a semi-fair market offer that's a home town and SB contender discount.

If Amos wants that extra 1-4 mil per year to go to another team, Bears and Amos are fine with the split.

And Bears will NOT sign a better and more expensive FA Safety -- instead they will pay Callahan and get decent FAs in other areas like OLB and RB; and they will either play Bush or Houston-Carson, and/or get a mid-grade FA Safety or draft a Safety.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We have bigger needs. Just start Bush and get more bodies to develop. Steelers D used to go through this all the time except the guys they lost deserved the big bucks. Next man up.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
He says that he won't get away from the Giants, that they will tag him.

He mentions

Joyner
Clinton-Dix
Mathieu
Clinton-Dix is not better than Amos. No thank you I'd rather start Bush and draft someone.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I agree with you. Bears will make Amos a fair market deal with a home town and SB contender discount.

If Amos wants that extra 1-4 mil per year to go to another team, Bears and Amos are fine with the split.

And Bears will NOT sign a better and more expensive FA Safety -- instead they will pay Callahan and get decent FAs in other areas like OLB and RB; and they will either play Bush or Houston-Carson, and/or get a mid-grade FA Safety or draft a Safety.

It's awesome that you and Windy can be so definitive on what the Bears are planning and thinking.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Clinton-Dix and Collins are the only ones who would make any sense because they’re the only ones who could play strong safety. Joyner and Matthieu are good players, but they’ve never played strong safety and they’re both like 5’8 180.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's awesome that you and Windy can be so definitive on what the Bears are planning and thinking.

You're welcome.

Not definitive, but trying to evaluate all available evidence.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
As I have said multiple times offer him in the 6 - 7 range and call it a day. If the dude is asking 9 or more he can fly to another team.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
As I have said multiple times offer him in the 6 - 7 range and call it a day. If the dude is asking 9 or more he can fly to another team.

Even $6-7 is too much. Bears can find similar production in a guy that costs only $2million. Eric Reid didn't even break $3million a year.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Even $6-7 is too much. Bears can find similar production in a guy that costs only $2million. Eric Reid didn't even break $3million a year.
I don't think it's too much, I think it's the top end of his value. If he goes elsewhere I'm betting he gets more.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
= ) I think the logic is very sound. What do you think?

I'd like the Bears to sign a Safety better than Amos and sign Callahan, cause I agree Bears should go for Super Bowl now... but I don't think we can afford it. But if the Bears can restructure Long and Mack, I'd be happy with upgrading Amos, or re-signing him.

I disagree with Windy in that I think Bears will make good offers to both Callahan and Amos, but the rumor is Amos wants big money Bears don't have if Callahan is higher priority.

I think you're less high on Callahan, cause his injuries, right? But consider Callahan has been trending up on games: 11/2016, 12/2017, 13/2018. Also, Callahan is elite at NB: coverage, tackling and zippy blitzer, making the D more elite in a league trending towards 3 excellent WRs most of the time.

Amos is complete and durable, trending up, but as we have Jackson at FS (who will be expensive soon), that makes Amos the SS who typically needs to be more a run defender and isn't depended on to be elite in coverage -- would be nice, but if Bears are forced to cut corners, I think this is the better cut.

Who's more a defensive liability? Bush, DHC, mid-grade SS, draft SS -- or McManis, Tolliver, Joseph, mid-grade NB, draft NB? Hard say, but I think NB is a more refined position than SS.

- I like McManis (who looks ever better, but has failed repeatedly in past years mostly at outside CB) but he is 31 years old; Tolliver and Joseph are promising, love to see them with more reps, but taller and likely better suited to outside CB. So all 3 are more temp NBs if Callahan is injured. I think keeping Callahan and drafting a NB goes better here.

- Bush has looked solid in the SS role (it's great we got the chance to see him play) and I'd really like to see DHC get a more chances to develop & show what he's got. These guys have been Bears a long time and more seasoned than Tolliver/Joseph for a Super Bowl run. If we lose Amos, a draft SS would fit the situation well.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
We are bringing back Amos. I dont care the cost or the repercussions!

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
We are bringing back Amos. I dont care the cost or the repercussions!

Kelloggs-Famous-Amos-Bite-Size-Cookies-Chocolate-Chip-076677541047.jpg

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't think we should offer anything for a middle aged bite size safety.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
= ) I think the logic is very sound. What do you think?

I'd like the Bears to sign a Safety better than Amos and sign Callahan, cause I agree Bears should go for Super Bowl now... but I don't think we can afford it. But if the Bears can restructure Long and Mack, I'd be happy with upgrading Amos, or re-signing him.

I disagree with Windy in that I think Bears will make good offers to both Callahan and Amos, but the rumor is Amos wants big money Bears don't have if Callahan is higher priority.

I think you're less high on Callahan, cause his injuries, right? But consider Callahan has been trending up on games: 11/2016, 12/2017, 13/2018. Also, Callahan is elite at NB: coverage, tackling and zippy blitzer, making the D more elite in a league trending towards 3 excellent WRs most of the time.

Amos is complete and durable, trending up, but as we have Jackson at FS (who will be expensive soon), that makes Amos the SS who typically needs to be more a run defender and isn't depended on to be elite in coverage -- would be nice, but if Bears are forced to cut corners, I think this is the better cut.

Who's more a defensive liability? Bush, DHC, mid-grade SS, draft SS -- or McManis, Tolliver, Joseph, mid-grade NB, draft NB? Hard say, but I think NB is a more refined position than SS.

- I like McManis (who looks ever better, but has failed repeatedly in past years mostly at outside CB) but he is 31 years old; Tolliver and Joseph are promising, love to see them with more reps, but taller and likely better suited to outside CB. So all 3 are more temp NBs if Callahan is injured. I think keeping Callahan and drafting a NB goes better here.

- Bush has looked solid in the SS role (it's great we got the chance to see him play) and I'd really like to see DHC get a more chances to develop & show what he's got. These guys have been Bears a long time and more seasoned than Tolliver/Joseph for a Super Bowl run. If we lose Amos, a draft SS would fit the situation well.

LOL! You need to stop saying this shit cause it isn't true. Elite is All Pro level of play every single year. This is not Callahan.