My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From Fangio...

"Yes. I kinda knew (the Patriots) would use that defensive scheme. It was obvious they would copy us because of our success against the Rams," Vic, who looks exactly like an Italian guy named Vic should, told me during a lengthy conversation the other day in his expansive office on the second floor of the Broncos’ headquarters. Outside the bank of windows, an intense fog and snow engulfed Dove Valley.”

And...

"When you started covering the NFL in the 1960s," Vic said, referencing that he’s a young man in comparison to the other man at the table, "a lot of teams were running the 6-1. Defenses evolved into the 4-3, then the 3-4."

Fangio brought back the ancient alignment for the Rams. In the 6-1, he had four, five, six linemen put extreme pressure on Goff and perplex Rams coach Sean McVay. The two would communicate on the headset about the defense up to the 15-second mark when the NFL official would turn it off.

At that moment, Fangio dropped ends into coverage, changed from zone to man-to-man and squeezed lanes. The Rams never comprehended.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gazette.com/sports/exclusive-from-woody-paige-vic-fangio-is-creating-a-gameplan/article_abfebe78-2ccf-11e9-9b2e-cb088c5a044b.amp.html

Visionman

Liked Posts:
From Fangio...

"Yes. I kinda knew (the Patriots) would use that defensive scheme. It was obvious they would copy us because of our success against the Rams," Vic, who looks exactly like an Italian guy named Vic should, told me during a lengthy conversation the other day in his expansive office on the second floor of the Broncos’ headquarters. Outside the bank of windows, an intense fog and snow engulfed Dove Valley.”

And...

"When you started covering the NFL in the 1960s," Vic said, referencing that he’s a young man in comparison to the other man at the table, "a lot of teams were running the 6-1. Defenses evolved into the 4-3, then the 3-4."

Fangio brought back the ancient alignment for the Rams. In the 6-1, he had four, five, six linemen put extreme pressure on Goff and perplex Rams coach Sean McVay. The two would communicate on the headset about the defense up to the 15-second mark when the NFL official would turn it off.

At that moment, Fangio dropped ends into coverage, changed from zone to man-to-man and squeezed lanes. The Rams never comprehended.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gazette.com/sports/exclusive-from-woody-paige-vic-fangio-is-creating-a-gameplan/article_abfebe78-2ccf-11e9-9b2e-cb088c5a044b.amp.html

That's also proof that Goff isn't much of anything without Mcvay being able to tell him exactly what to do...

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From Fangio...

And...

Given how poorly the Rams were able to adjust to Fangio’s scheme against an inferior defense, I have little doubt that the Bears defense would have epically dismantled Jared Goff in the divisional round. He probably would not have survived into the half. Such a same they never got the opportunity.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was 16-13 in the 4th quarter, Lions defense was doing well. Then a Stafford fumble deep in Lions territory, and iirc correctly, another turnover after that.

"Detroit's defense held Los Angeles' high-powered offense in check for three quarters, giving the slumping team a shot to potentially pull off a stunning upset. The Lions, though, failed to make the most of the opportunity because their offense struggled to move the ball and score.

Donald helped seal the win by forcing Matthew Stafford to fumble midway through the fourth quarter. The star defensive tackle had two strip-sacks in his last game on Nov. 19, a 54-51 win over Kansas City."

So, yeah, it was Fangio that copied (and probably tweaked) Patricia's game plan, albeit with superior talent. Just reading the final score doesn't tell the whole story.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
It was 16-13 in the 4th quarter, Lions defense was doing well. Then a Stafford fumble deep in Lions territory, and iirc correctly, another turnover after that.

"Detroit's defense held Los Angeles' high-powered offense in check for three quarters, giving the slumping team a shot to potentially pull off a stunning upset. The Lions, though, failed to make the most of the opportunity because their offense struggled to move the ball and score.

Donald helped seal the win by forcing Matthew Stafford to fumble midway through the fourth quarter. The star defensive tackle had two strip-sacks in his last game on Nov. 19, a 54-51 win over Kansas City."

So, yeah, it was Fangio that copied (and probably tweaked) Patricia's game plan, albeit with superior talent.

I did enjoy the Lions week 17 thrashing of the Packers. I didn't see the Lions/Rams game. Did they deploy a 6-1-4 alignment?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I did enjoy the Lions week 17 thrashing of the Packers. I didn't see the Lions/Rams game. Did they deploy a 6-1-4 alignment?

Hell, I am not that into the nuts and bolts of it all to say definitively tbh. I heard this story several times on talk radio (after the SB) about BB using the same plan the Lions and Bears used though. I wouldn't be surprised if BB borrowed from both, but I am sure he got a lot more info from Matt P.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Hell, I am not that into the nuts and bolts of it all to say definitively tbh. I heard this story several times on talk radio (after the SB) about BB using the same plan the Lions and Bears used though. I wouldn't be surprised if BB borrowed from both, but I am sure he got a lot more info from Matt P.

Makes sense...