Are the Cubs better off with somebody besides Soto catching?

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I meant if he was our starter and we didn't have AJ.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I meant if he was our starter and we didn't have AJ.

I think he'd have better luck catching base-stealers than AJ.

Theo and Jed should get on the phone with Tampa Bay though, for sure.

herky

Liked Posts:
Soto had a good rookie year because he was hitting 7th in an order that was very good. Soto has always done his damage low in the order and has no idea what he is doing anyway. He isn't that good of a catcher or a game caller to keep the guy playing. Trade his ass and let Clevenger and the young guy at AAA split time.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soto had a good rookie year because he was hitting 7th in an order that was very good. Soto has always done his damage low in the order and has no idea what he is doing anyway. He isn't that good of a catcher or a game caller to keep the guy playing. Trade his ass and let Clevenger and the young guy at AAA split time.

Your argument is not supported by Soto's stats either in 2008 or for his career. Soto is far from a world beater, but even in his down years he has been an average offensive catcher. It is time for the Cubs to trade him, but not because he is worthless. It is time to trade him because his value is derived from his ability to catch and it is a position to wears guys down quickly. And at age 29 the number of seasons Soto has behind the plate is pretty limited.

herky

Liked Posts:
Your argument is not supported by Soto's stats either in 2008 or for his career. Soto is far from a world beater, but even in his down years he has been an average offensive catcher. It is time for the Cubs to trade him, but not because he is worthless. It is time to trade him because his value is derived from his ability to catch and it is a position to wears guys down quickly. And at age 29 the number of seasons Soto has behind the plate is pretty limited.

So in other words......he just kinda sucks now but give him another year or two and he will really suck?? IMHO he is at the really sucking point now, his offensive numbers are not there and his defense has always lacked. He has nice hair and the ability to grow some nice facial hair to but come on.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So in other words......he just kinda sucks now but give him another year or two and he will really suck?? IMHO he is at the really sucking point now, his offensive numbers are not there and his defense has always lacked. He has nice hair and the ability to grow some nice facial hair to but come on.
the point is that Soto was average for the position offensively. His error total spiked last season and there is reason to think he might be on the decline already. That is why they ought to try to trade him. But I think you guys are going to be disappointed with what Castillo and Clevenger provide on full time basis if you think Soto sucked the last 3 years.