What Theo needs to do in 2018

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Priority #1 is replacing Jake. Tseng should be able to back fill Lackey.

So that leaves the pen. Honestly I feel that the sporadic hitting has been the real issue but honestly Hill and Shaw both have solid hammers and pretty much shut the O down.

But at the pen:

Davis: Resign
That leaves L/R set ups

Honestly you have Edwards and Wilson. I believe both will work out the bugs this offseason.

Loogy: Resign Duensing.

7th inning guy: Strop and Maples

so that is 6 guys. Then you add Montgomery in as L/R and spot start. Mills should be back to full and also becomes depth at AAA.

Over all they really need to get what they have more consistent in throwing strikes. These guys have talent.

So in reality they need to trade for a front line SP. That is it. And to be honest it should be either Baez or Happ that they deal out. They need to make a decision on what direction that they go with.

And to be honest if Jake was 100% right now this series could be more even. Right now they edge goes to pitching depth.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That's an interesting point I hadn't considered. Weren't the cubs batting Schwarber/Bryant/Rizzo/Contreras 2-5 prior to Contreras getting hurt? I suppose Schwarber hasn't been playing a ton but I recall they were really grooving during that time.
I mentioned this earlier this year that this was their best lineup and it what they did in WS

Maddon kept changing it with Zobrist hitting cleanup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

So that leaves the pen. Honestly I feel that the sporadic hitting has been the real issue but honestly Hill and Shaw both have solid hammers and pretty much shut the O down.

But at the pen:

That leaves L/R set ups

Honestly you have Edwards and Wilson. I believe both will work out the bugs this offseason.

so that is 6 guys. Then you add Montgomery in as L/R and spot start. Mills should be back to full and also becomes depth at AAA.

Over all they really need to get what they have more consistent in throwing strikes. These guys have talent.

So in reality they need to trade for a front line SP. That is it. And to be honest it should be either Baez or Happ that they deal out. They need to make a decision on what direction that they go with.

And to be honest if Jake was 100% right now this series could be more even. Right now they edge goes to pitching depth.

I agree with most of what you're saying here but I think they need more bullpen depth. The last 2 years they've been killed by injuries come playoff time. Not saying they need say Betancies who's apparently going to be shopped but someone like Pat Neshek feels like he could be a good option. He's going to be 37 so you don't have to get him a super long deal and he has a career walk rate of 2.54 which is something the cubs relievers have struggled with. Feels like he'd be an ideal 8th inning guy who's no nonsense and you could then use Edwards as your fire fighter who hopefully comes in and gets you out of jams with his absurd stuff.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I mentioned this earlier this year that this was their best lineup and it what they did in WS

Maddon kept changing it with Zobrist hitting cleanup

Zobrist 2B
Schwarber: LF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Contreras C
Happ CF
Russell SS
Heyward RF
Hendricks P

That is what I would do. Happ helped get you there and you really need a boost. Jay really has been pretty quiet at the top. I would rather have a HR stick in the middle.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree with most of what you're saying here but I think they need more bullpen depth. The last 2 years they've been killed by injuries come playoff time. Not saying they need say Betancies who's apparently going to be shopped but someone like Pat Neshek feels like he could be a good option. He's going to be 37 so you don't have to get him a super long deal and he has a career walk rate of 2.54 which is something the cubs relievers have struggled with. Feels like he'd be an ideal 8th inning guy who's no nonsense and you could then use Edwards as your fire fighter who hopefully comes in and gets you out of jams with his absurd stuff.

I agree that they need a 8th inning guy that starts a inning. Rondon is the best guy that they have But I honestly just don't see the logic in offering him another arb deal.

Edwards to me is a guy that you bring in when you need a strike out. Maples would be his off day back up. Both are + stuff pitchers that can excell going 100% after 1 guy.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

But at the pen:

That leaves L/R set ups

I think Tseng could have been a player this offseason. His stuff just floats around and is hard to hit. With no film on the guy there was an advantage. But the way he started his first game with all the nerves, there was no way he was getting on the mound in the playoffs. We will see Tseng as the new Hendricks, that guy that gets pulled early and often if he becomes a starter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Joe would never have used him. Happ has seen min action and he played the whole season.

Play off experience. That is what Joe respects. Right now he is letting the newer guys take it in with out taking up roster spots

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Joe would never have used him. Happ has seen min action and he played the whole season.

Play off experience. That is what Joe respects. Right now he is letting the newer guys take it in with out taking up roster spots

well, you get to change your roster each round, and since the pen has blown goats, I would think they might decide to make a change. Same thing with me questioning Pena dfa deal, he pitched on the ML roster and was an option. now no option.

With Happ he is looking at matchups and his man crush on John Jay.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I think the dirty little secret is that Joe Maddon sucks at managing the lineup/pitching changes/in game strategy.

The man is masterful in the clubhouse, masterful at getting guys in the right frame of mind to play, to win, to overcome obstacles, etc etc etc. He is one of the best at those things. He also gives a really good presser and is great at not putting blame/undue pressure on guys who just choked a game away (cough, Edwards, cough cough). But his in game tactics suck and I can't stand his line up cards.

I just do not understand the tone of the "Maddon sucks as an in-game manager" posts at all. If this were true, we would see evidence of it in his record and in his lack of postseason accomplishments. Instead, when I look at those things I see a manager with a career .538 winning percentage, multiple division titles, a career .492 playoff winning percentage, along with two pennants (with different teams) and one WS title. That's impressive, especially considering the resources he had in Tampa when he was running up against the Yankees and Red Sox every year. Instead, you're essentially arguing that Maddon's players continue to overcome his lethal incompetence...year after year after year. This is an absurd position on its face.

So maybe you should reserve the "sucks as an in-game manager" label to guys who truly deserve it, like the great Dusty Baker and his career .418 winning percentage, despite having some of the most talented and well-resourced teams in the league.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
well, you get to change your roster each round, and since the pen has blown goats, I would think they might decide to make a change. Same thing with me questioning Pena dfa deal, he pitched on the ML roster and was an option. now no option.

With Happ he is looking at matchups and his man crush on John Jay.

Pena. LOL.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Maddon has had to do more as a manager this year than last year because of the roster he has. I think he's done an outstanding job, even as I've nitpicked a few of his moves in the post-season.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

He doing with Happ what he did with Almora last year....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He doing with Happ what he did with Almora last year....

I get it. You go with experience over youth in this situation. But sometimes you have to push out a guy that hit 24 HR’s in a short season.

I get Baez and Almora vs the lefties. Honestly they will see 3 lefties in this series and Darvish is the opertunity to load up with lefties.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What Maddon excels at is getting the most out of his players and keeping 25 guys level..
He brings a team first mentality and has helped his players into believing in themselves and the team no matter how bad it gets..
He keeps his players loose and allows them to have fun and they respond by doing what he asks and that give 100% on the field..

Maddon at times over thinks things during game with pitchers and lineups but as aggravating as it can be when it doesnt work..
the guy won 292 games in 3 yrs..
3 playoff appearances..
2 division titles..
And yea he won us that WS championship we've waited our whole lives for..

So, yea he does a lot questionable things but he been pretty much the best manager they've had in just 3 years..
Hope he around for another 10

DanTown

Liked Posts:
There is a lot of "I told you so" in this thread but what this season was always an expected cost (as is the next season and potentially 2019) based on the decisions made for the 2016 season

- They signed John Lackey as a fourth starter for 2/32
By signing Lackey, they took themselves out of signing for a starter that had a longer career arc to get a guy they thought was as good as any FA on the market at the time.

- They signed Zobrist for 4/56 and traded Castro
The Cubs wanted to get a 2B who could be a middle-of-the order bat as well as produce strong at bats in the playoffs. It goes without saying that Zobrist was key in 2016 in the playoffs but this year his production fell off a cliff (OPS+ of 79; wRC of 82) that cost them the middle of the order

- They traded for Chapman
There was a cost to acquiring one of the premier closers in baseball and that was Gleyber Torres, one of the best prospects not in the majors.

- There was not much progression from their young players
Baez was a 2.7 fWAR player last year in 450 PA but this year was 2.2 in 508 PA
Russell was a 3.9 player last year in 598 PA but this year was a 1.4 in 385 PA
Almora was a .9 player in 117 PA but this year was 1.3 in 323 PA
Schwarber was 1.8 player in 273 PA but this year was a 1.5 in 458 PA

Contreras was a positve as was Happ in terms of his new development but Happ was only here because Schwarber and Zobrist were so bad that they had to do something.

Going forward, I have a few ideas on what they should do but I also think this thread is a little premature and alarmist. You shouldn't make decisions based on the 10 game sample of a playoffs but instead on the 162 game sample on the regular season.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I get it. You go with experience over youth in this situation. But sometimes you have to push out a guy that hit 24 HR’s in a short season.

I get Baez and Almora vs the lefties. Honestly they will see 3 lefties in this series and Darvish is the opertunity to load up with lefties.
Im not arguing with you..

Thing is you know he gonna go with Zobrist Schwarber Jay Heyward from Left side in the OF and 2B before he starts Happ...

Baez Almora Zobrist from Right side
Heyward in RF for defense..

Happ and Avila are the last 2 position plyrs he will use in playoff games

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You can add to it:

Vs LA last year Javy wrecked the lefties and carried them past LA. He is batting .000 vs them this series.

Maybe he needs a day on the bench

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Im not arguing with you..

Thing is you know he gonna go with Zobrist Schwarber Jay Heyward from Left side in the OF and 2B before he starts Happ...

Baez Almora Zobrist from Right side
Heyward in RF for defense..

Happ and Avila are the last 2 position plyrs he will use in playoff games

We will see. I’m expecting more of Jay and Zo myself. But I don’t agree with it

TL1961

Liked Posts:
As much as I love Schwarber's hitting potential I don't necessarily disagree. I just have a feeling that it's going to be Happ that goes. The intriguing thing there is can Happ bat leadoff? I would yes if you think he can get his OBP to .350-.360. Still not what you want but could work.

Happ is no leadoff man. Low ba and few walks.

millerjg01

Liked Posts:
I just do not understand the tone of the "Maddon sucks as an in-game manager" posts at all. If this were true, we would see evidence of it in his record and in his lack of postseason accomplishments. Instead, when I look at those things I see a manager with a career .538 winning percentage, multiple division titles, a career .492 playoff winning percentage, along with two pennants (with different teams) and one WS title. That's impressive, especially considering the resources he had in Tampa when he was running up against the Yankees and Red Sox every year. Instead, you're essentially arguing that Maddon's players continue to overcome his lethal incompetence...year after year after year. This is an absurd position on its face.

So maybe you should reserve the "sucks as an in-game manager" label to guys who truly deserve it, like the great Dusty Baker and his career .418 winning percentage, despite having some of the most talented and well-resourced teams in the league.

I understand your points but I just see him make a lot of really bad in game moves (or lack thereof) and also, his line ups aren't always the best. I know the man has taken the cubs to three straight NLCS and of course has the big WS ring so I figured my gripes would fall on deaf ears. I just don't think he's a great in game manager. He is probably the best 'clubhouse' guy I've ever seen and does a great job keeping the team level and their heads where they need to be. Some of my complaint probably stems from I am a fan of smallball, bunting guys over, and etc. and Joe isn't that guy. Also, he yanks starters WAY TOO EARLY 90% of the time IMO.

I agree 100% with you...Dusty Baker sucks. Never have been a Dusty fan.