How can the Cubs be considered chokers?

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
So meaningless, that had we won one or two more games, we never would've had to be in the tie break or WC game... Straight to the LDS and who knows what coulda happened.

I'm mostly bummed that instead of being a dynasty, we look like a team who just had one great year that worked out in the Cubs favor all season.

Even if the Cubs had won one more regular season game, those wins are still worthless unless backed up in the postseason. Do you think players from the 2001 Mariners' team go around saying "yea but we won 116 games?" LOL

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Even if the Cubs had won one more regular season game, those wins are still worthless unless backed up in the postseason. Do you think players from the 2001 Mariners' team go around saying "yea but we won 116 games?" LOL

Cubs led the NL with a .265 BA in the 1st half.
Cubs led the NL with a ..345 OBA in the 1st half.
Cubs led the NL with a 476 Runs in the 1st half.
Cubs led the NL with a 457 RBI's in the 1st half.

All 4 fell to #8-9 in the 2nd half.

I'm not sure if slapping you with this fish is working or not. I'll guess the latter.

Jed and Theo both have pretty much said something broke in season and Davis got fired. It was for a reason.

They lack a legit lead off but it is cosmetic. What they need is to be healthy and sticking to the 1st half approach. It worked and they went away from it in the 2nd half and became dependent on what Baez was doing. This team has always been better because the whole line up could wreck your staff.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Another way to look at it is if the Cubs had won one less game and not had the extra inning affair to determine the Central champ could have made a difference by simply having the off day to prepare instead of traveling back from St Louis to play the tie break the next day and what ultimately was the Wild Card the day after.

I think as soon as the two NL tie breakers were needed, MLB should have swapped days for the Wild Card games. JMO.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Cubs led the NL with a .265 BA in the 1st half.
Cubs led the NL with a ..345 OBA in the 1st half.
Cubs led the NL with a 476 Runs in the 1st half.
Cubs led the NL with a 457 RBI's in the 1st half.

All 4 fell to #8-9 in the 2nd half.

I'm not sure if slapping you with this fish is working or not. I'll guess the latter.

Jed and Theo both have pretty much said something broke in season and Davis got fired. It was for a reason.

They lack a legit lead off but it is cosmetic. What they need is to be healthy and sticking to the 1st half approach. It worked and they went away from it in the 2nd half and became dependent on what Baez was doing. This team has always been better because the whole line up could wreck your staff.

That was why I brought up the point, did the hitters somehow decide to start listening to Davis at the all star break?

How much did Schwarber stay in games in the first half?

We all know Joe is not going to change, so either Theo trades Happ, (like Beane used to do in Oakland).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That was why I brought up the point, did the hitters somehow decide to start listening to Davis at the all star break?

How much did Schwarber stay in games in the first half?

We all know Joe is not going to change, so either Theo trades Happ, (like Beane used to do in Oakland).

Wrong teaching. They wanted to lower strike outs and he had them level their swings to cause line drives. But instead it increased ground outs.

In theory the ball is incoming at a slight downward plane. You want your swing to naturally match it to create the largest contact window. Which is a slight upwards angle.

Swinging at higher angles decreases the contact window which is what he created.