Paul Goldschmidt is a Cardinal

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Cards gave up pretty much nothing.

Carson Kelly has been tuted as their catcher of the future, until he actually plays in MLB and doesn't look like a catcher of the future.

Weaver has some promise, but they could certainly afford to give him up.

They also gave up a minor league IF I admittedly know little about, and one of their free extra draft picks that they get each year to help a team that "only draws 3 million" try to stay competitive.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Given that they can't stand up to Carpenter, and he likes to play 1st, I wonder where Goldschmidt will play.

RF?
SS?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Given that they can't stand up to Carpenter, and he likes to play 1st, I wonder where Goldschmidt will play.

RF?
SS?

That's a hell of a good bat to bring into an extremely competitive division.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Fuck, he is significantly better than anyone on the Cubs

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Fuck, he is significantly better than anyone on the Cubs

And by "significantly better than anyone" we mean, of course, essentially equal to two Cubs.

Always overly dramatic. Always exceedingly negative.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cards gave up pretty much nothing.

Carson Kelly has been tuted as their catcher of the future, until he actually plays in MLB and doesn't look like a catcher of the future.

Weaver has some promise, but they could certainly afford to give him up.

They also gave up a minor league IF I admittedly know little about, and one of their free extra draft picks that they get each year to help a team that "only draws 3 million" try to stay competitive.

Respectfully disagree. Let's start with goldy. He's 31 and only under contract for 2019. So, starting there he's not a huge value for AZ. I mean this is effectively a july trade in december. Great hitter, great defender. Not questioning that one bit. But the fact they only get him for 2019 is a big deal. Makes them better for 2019 sure but this is a team the last 3 years that's gone 86-76, 83-79 and 88-74. A 5 win player isn't enough for them to be a sudden favorite. They have a lot of work to do.

As for what they are giving up, let's start with Kelly. You're talking about a very good defender(60 arm 65 field) who has hit as a C(.269/.378/.395 for a 107 wRC+ at AAA). To put this into some context, as a 21 year old in AA he hit .287/.338/.403(115 wRC+). As a 23 year old JT Realmuto hit .299/.369/.461 with a 132 wRC+). We've seen the names thrown around in terms of trades for Realmuto. If you want to argue he's a slightly better hitter that's likely fair but overall the potential between the two is similar. And as that pertains to the cardinals, Yady isn't getting any younger. They do have Andrew Knizner who is ok but he's no where near the defender Kelly is and his bat while good from an avg stand point, doesn't have much pop. I'd compare him to Caratini but maybe a tick or two better as like Caratini he moved from SS -> 3B - C.

As for Weaver, hard to say on him. I mean you basically summed it up there's promise but at 24 you're not entirely sure if he meets it.

As for Andy young, he's more than just a thrown in. Fangraphs has him as a 40. He's a pretty good hitting likely 2B or UTIL. they have him at 50 hit 55 power which is more than you need to start and he's probably a below average 2B defender. He's not a huge ceiling prospect but I would actually consider him a prospect not bench filler or org filler.

And on top of that the cards also are giving up pick which is kind of a big deal. I think the dbacks made it out pretty damn well here given goldy only has one year of control. Kelly can be a starter at C. Weaver at worst is a mid rotation starter with some promise. Young might be a second tier starting 2B or a good UITL. And they get a draft pick. The cards get better but I think there's still a 4-5 win gap between the cubs/brewers and them.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
He has one year left, correct?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Nice move for the Cardinals and their offense, but I expect the cubs to add to their offense too..

I also like the cubs SP now better then the Cardinals

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Nice move for the Cardinals and their offense, but I expect the cubs to add to their offense too..

I also like the cubs SP now better then the Cardinals

We will see about that. I suspect Cub fans are going to end up very disappointed with this offseason.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Goldy just caught the Cards up to rizzo and Bryant with Goldy and Carpenter. You basically have Fowler and Heyward negating eachother, Contrares is catching up to Molina and age will not be on Moldinas side for long. Middle infield is still stronger with the cubs and I guess we see if Ozuna can throw (and hit) with that shoulder to even up with Schwarbs. But the whole plan was to package Grienke with Goldy and they are still working on that part of the deal.

We will see if Grienke gets there

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sweet, a Cub killer that now gets to play the Cubs 16x per season.