Update- Santo in! 15 of 16 votes

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Now we just need to see if Harold Baines gets in.

Cub Nation Way bigger than White Sox Nation. Not likely a special committee will be formed of White Sox players to let that happen :)

Last edited:

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sox Nation Way bigger than Cub Nation. Not likely a special committee will be formed of White Sox players to let that happen :)

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard from a Sox fan..

You do realize the Cubs have been on WGN (national tv) for decades right? Just by exposure default the Cubs have more support.

You are better than that bro.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Red Sox Nation Way bigger than Cub Nation.

Fixed.

LOL at White Sox nation being bigger than the Cub Nation.

Is White Sox Nation even a "nation"? It seems more like a county.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
381598_10150586659920898_343760075897_11550354_1649484864_n.jpg

Deng Defense Force

Liked Posts:
Better late then never. Even though it is almost a slap in the face to wait until he's dead.

Where we're their votes when he was alive?

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Couldn't be happier for Ron's family. What a great honor. I'm sad that Ron couldn't enjoy this while he was alive, but I'm sure he and Harry are toasting an Old Style in Heaven right now. This one's for you, Ron! :beer:

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was very glad when I heard this. The timing is a little late, but better late than never.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Better late then never. Even though it is almost a slap in the face to wait until he's dead.

Where we're their votes when he was alive?

It wasn't until they got the right mix on the yet again changed committee

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
:yawn:

This committee finally got right what every other vote got wrong.

Yup.

There are lots of things that people used to do stupidly and it took the right mix of people at the right time to make it right. You can look at US History for an example. Ron Santo's induction isn't nearly as important as abolishing slavery or giving women the right to vote, but it is the right thing to do, and we're glad someone actually did it, finally.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yup.

There are lots of things that people used to do stupidly and it took the right mix of people at the right time to make it right. You can look at US History for an example. Ron Santo's induction isn't nearly as important as abolishing slavery or giving women the right to vote, but it is the right thing to do, and we're glad someone actually did it, finally.

Thats your analogies?

I'm going to stay out of this one. The cloud is too potent

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Ladies and Gentlemen of Cubs Nation! Ron Santo is in the Hall of Fame!

Today, the late great Ron Santo was finally granted access into the Hall of fame, being voted in by his peers. Unfortunately for good old number 10, the election to the hallowed halls came a year too late. As you all know the one year anniversary of Santo’s death came one day before the vote which finally put him into the Hall of Fame, where several fans feel he belongs.

Now, the distinction of giving his Hall of Fame acceptance speech falls on his family, and more than likely his son. I know that this is an honor that Santo and his family has long waited for, but this is an honor that has got to be bitter sweet since he is no longer around to enjoy the prestige of being among the greatest men to ever play the game of baseball. While there are likely harsh feelings towards the Hall of Fame by the Santo family, I have no doubt that they will go forward with the speech with their heads held high and accept this belated honor with grace and dignity. However, if I was the one giving the speech, things might just go a little differently than what is likely to happen. Allow me to take you on a journey through my thoughts on what I would love to see happen at Cooperstown many months down the line.

Picture this, Jeff Santo or Pat Hughes steps up to the podium in his best suit. He is handed the plaque honoring his father, and making his induction into the Hall of Fame official. He wipes a tear away from his eye, and pulls out a piece of paper from his breast pocket. He spreads it on the podium, clears his throat and begins to speak.

Ladies and gentleman, Cub fans, and Hall of Fame players. I can not begin to tell you how much this day would have meant to my father, who dreamt of this day for years and years. Unfortunately, the baseball writers who are the so called experts on the game, failed to see his greatness and never gave him the honor that he so richly deserved and desired. They allowed him to fester on the outside while he watched other men celebrate the honor that should have been bestowed upon him while he was still alive. But no. They allowed their dislike of him, for whatever reason, to cloud their judgment and blind them to how great his stats were when compared to other players of his era.

They allowed a great player to be excluded for whatever reason, when he should have been elected along with his other great teammates like Ferguson Jenkins, Billy Williams and the great Ernie Banks. Perhaps they believed that there should not be four men elected from a team that did not win, so they chose to pick on him like the bullies they were, thinking they were bigger than the game. They left him out, and felt they did what was best for the game and for the hall.

But the baseball writers are not the only ones who are guilty of this devastating crime of exclusion. No, they are only half of the problem that is to blame. The other half lies with the vast majority of those who have already been elected into the Hall of Fame. Most of them, not all, but most of them are selfish players who want to keep their club as exclusive as they can. Forget if someone is worthy of induction, if they can block someone then they will.. They did not care what toes they stepped on, as long as they were able to limit the members that were allowed in. When the vote fell to them, most of them did all they could to keep him out, and they were very successful in doing so.

That is until this year, when a group of men who knew what was right, that he deserved to be granted access into the Hall of Fame did what should have been done years ago when he was first eligible. What should have been done when the vote was in the hands of the baseball writers. A group led by some of the best living Hall of Fame players, those who played in the very same era as my father, granted his dream of being elected in to the Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, this honor came a year too late when my father was no longer around to enjoy the feeling. I can not hold this against the Hall of Fame, or the Veterans who were behind him all along, but the baseball writers and the rest of the old Veteran’s Committee can kiss my ass. While my father is finally in the Hall of Fame, this plaque will never hang in the hollowed halls.

If he was unable to enjoy this moment while he was alive, the Hall of Fame will never be able to benefit on his being a member. This plaque will hang in our house, and not here.

On behalf of my family, I would like to thank the Veteran’s Committee from the “Golden Era” for this tremendous honor.

Jeff walks off the stage taking the plaque with him to a round of applause coming from the Cub fans in attendance.

Okay, I know that will never happen, but a man can dream. I also know that the plaque they give to the newly elected Hall of Fame member is a duplicate, but again, a man can dream. Nothing would make me stand up and applaud harder or louder than if Jeff told off the Hall of Fame, the writers and those veterans who did all they could to exclude him. Either way, this is a great moment for the Cub fans who loved him, and for his family.

Ladies and gentleman of Cubs Nation, your newest member of the Hall of Fame, legendary Cubs third baseman Ron Santo!

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
(sucked back in)

The above would be perfect for arguably the biggest and most petty inductee ever. Pitiful. Yep cub fans know more than writers and hall of fame members.

Yes, close down baseball intellects. We have no need for them any more. Baseball has been saved. We have Cub Fans.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
(sucked back in)

The above would be perfect for arguably the biggest and most petty inductee ever. Pitiful. Yep cub fans know more than writers and hall of fame members.

Yes, close down baseball intellects. We have no need for them any more. Baseball has been saved. We have Cub Fans.

I don't think the Santo clan will be petty when they do the induction speech. There's just a lot of anger and disappointment because Santo deserved to be in while he was alive.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
I like meatballing it up now and then. I think that it is a shame that he had to wait until after he died before finally getting into the HOF.

You either are a HOF player or you arent. You're credentials do not suddenly improve and make you more worthy the more time goes by. The way the HOF votes people in is simply pathetic.