In review

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see a ton of similarities between those two teams beside some superficiality.....

I had no hope that they would be as good as they were the next year. I did not see the talent level as sustaining. The 2001 offense played well above what they have. The Bears this year should actually improve and probably did not play up to what they can be.

The 2001 Bears were one of the luckiest teams I have seen and were very up and down.

The 2018 Bears steadily improved as the year went on.

In 2001 I expected massive regression the next year. I don't see that with the 2018 Bears.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears were 4-1 against teams with winning records....I think that is what you are referencing

all but 1 win was at home...that really isn't out of the ordinary though.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Bears were 4-1 against teams with winning records....I think that is what you are referencing

Bears peaked in Minnesota for some reason...had nothing left in the tank against Philly in the playoffs. Poor coaching.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
In 2001, you could tell it was smoke and mirrors. So many flukish things happened, and going into that playoff game, I knew the Bears would get killed. 2001 is still one of my all time favorite seasons from an entertainment standpoint.

This season?

NOT a fluke - a 5-1 regular season record against teams that made the playoffs, and no game lost by more than a TD should tell people that, as well as the number of Bears that are pro bowl /all pro.

No, this season is the start of something. The Bears with a harder schedule next year could win less games, but still be progressing, as I expect them to be back in the playoffs.

You're missed in the thread that was made for you.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

Yes sorry. That is what I meant a reference. But I remember at the time when seeing that stat, while you say that isn't out of the ordinary, other teams vs teams w winning records in the NFC were closer to 500 or worse.

The Bears stood Head and shoulders above the other teams.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes sorry. That is what I meant a reference. But I remember at the time when seeing that stat, while you say that isn't out of the ordinary, other teams vs teams w winning records in the NFC were closer to 500 or worse.

The Bears stood Head and shoulders above the other teams.

It isn't a great sample size, but it does show that the Bears could play with anyone last year.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
It isn't a great sample size, but it does show that the Bears could play with anyone last year.

And here is the thing. they did it while the entire offensive side of the ball was still learning the playbook in year one.

That technically should be the worst year of the Matt Nagy offense, and we pulled off "THAT"?

With Vic leaving and Todd bowles off the board, I would not be surprised to see a little bit more regression on the defense but nothing major. But I also expect the offense 2 more than pick up slack.

On the whole going into next year it's a more complete team, even with the changing DC. Success will lead to coordinators being poached. Look at how many times the Ravens have had their defensive coordinator taken for a head coaching job, and yet still maintain a top defense.

This is the general idea we are going to have to get used to if the bears become successful. And at some point the offense is going to have to take over the reins. If we take Matt Nagy at face value, that will likely be in year 3, with some improvement coming this year.

all in all I think the year was good experience for a first-year head coach and a very raw quarterback who has a lot of potential.

I get it sucked how the season ended, but instead of getting emotional people need to take a step back and realize this isn't a one-and-done like 2001. there is something being built here and with the number of young guys on our roster I have a feeling this team is going to be competitive for quite some time.

In the off-season, I would make the main priority drafting some offensive line talent for Harry Hiestand to develop. Out of all the units the Bears have, the offensive line, while average, needs to be the one that improves the most.

I would follow that up by also taking a running back or possibly signing a running back in free agency.

And given the cap space I would not be opposed to the Bears getting creative and possibly say, trading Jordan Howard and Kyle long in a package deal for a 3rd or 4th round pick. I have loved both of these guys in the past, but I worry Kyle may drop off soon and Jordan just isn't a fit.

I think Massie is allowed to walk and theytake that developmental projects they converted over from the defense to offense of tackle and plug him in. Heard a lot of good things about that guy.

Not sure if they leave Daniels in at the other side or move him to center and kick Cody out to guard. I felt like Cody was at his best at guard oh, and he had a rough start to the season, but he actually played really well in some of those blocking concepts towards the end of the year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears peaked in Minnesota for some reason...had nothing left in the tank against Philly in the playoffs. Poor coaching.

The Philly game was poop in the first half. I think he came out expecting the defense to shut down Philly and the Bears to control the clock.....Phillys D cut off the short pass effectively and gave little margin for error. The Bears oline was not as effective at giving enough time early for the small amount of long passes they tried and did no favors in the run game.

The Bears finally got their deep passing game going which should have happened sooner but it just wasn't enough.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The Philly game was poop in the first half. I think he came out expecting the defense to shut down Philly and the Bears to control the clock.....Phillys D cut off the short pass effectively and gave little margin for error. The Bears oline was not as effective at giving enough time early for the small amount of long passes they tried and did no favors in the run game.

The Bears finally got their deep passing game going which should have happened sooner but it just wasn't enough.

Can you direct Teddy KGB to the thread in the bar? I fear he might have me on ignore.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Great Seasons both of them, but I am excited about next year, BUT Fangio moving on does concern me.

I know no one wants to hear this, but the defense also had a couple of shots to win the game and came up short allowing a late TD after we took the lead....

If we are going to be competitive next year then Trubisky/Nagy need to make a dramatic improvement similar to Goff and Wentz did in their second year of a similar offense. I know, I know Trubisky will be in his third year, but I simply do not give Fox any credit for developing Trubisky AT ALL in his first year.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I know, I know Trubisky will be in his third year, but I simply do not give Fox any credit for developing Trubisky AT ALL in his first year.

Hard for Fox to develop Trubisky when it was Mike Glennon's year, tho

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Disappointing year for me. Sorry. After getting Mack and a No 1 D, I honestly expected more from our offensive guru. Yes 12-4 was great but I honestly think we missed out on a legit SB run because of easily correctable issues with the offense that persisted for much of the year.

If we learn from this and make that SB run next year then that will limit the sting. But with a tight cap next year, potential regression on D particularly in turnovers, and no guarantee the O can ever be worthy of this D, it is entirely possible we end up looking back 5 years from now and saying 2018 was a massive missed opportunity.

Midway Monsters

Liked Posts:
Nagy played it too close to the vest to protect Mitch from making a mistake due to the high stakes. He got in his own head and played not to lose. Close games like that can easily go either way.

Yeah he waited until the second half to open it up. It seems like he was only doing that because they got down. First half it was more about dump offs and wide receiver screens. This is why having a great defense is sort of a blessing and a curse. When you have such a great defense, the offensive gameplan becomes "just be safe and don't turn the ball over." Next year they will need to go for the jugular from the beginning to the end of the game.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Disappointing year for me. Sorry. After getting Mack and a No 1 D, I honestly expected more from our offensive guru. Yes 12-4 was great but I honestly think we missed out on a legit SB run because of easily correctable issues with the offense that persisted for much of the year.

If we learn from this and make that SB run next year then that will limit the sting. But with a tight cap next year, potential regression on D particularly in turnovers, and no guarantee the O can ever be worthy of this D, it is entirely possible we end up looking back 5 years from now and saying 2018 was a massive missed opportunity.

I call bullshit.....

you are disappointed at 12-4 with the only difference being Mack. I don't think you predicting a winning season before the Mack trade and just adding Mack you expected the Bears should have been better than 12-4 and winning the division......bullshit.

I'll give you a little leeway on the offense, but as you have stated in the past you judge QBs on points scored. The Bears offense went from 14.4 points a game to 23.1 points a game....this is after defense scores removed

They went from .283 points scored per play in 2017 to .405 points scored per play. And before you cry turnovers as the big difference, the Bears offense was dead last in yards per drive last year and went to 16th....that is a 16 team jump in the first year of an offense. The Bears had only 1 more offensive drive in 2018 than in 2017. The average start of a drive in 2017 was on the 27 yard line, in 2018 it was the 29 yard line......so they gained about 2 net yards on those turnovers per drive....

They were the second worst in points scored per game last year to 12th best this year....what jump were you expecting that 12th is disappointing? A jump of 19 slots in one year. Did you expect them to be a top 5 scoring offense the first year?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Bullshit. Lost in your narrative is the fact they ultimately lost cause their shit kicker doinked a fg after being iced like the bitch he is. Lost in your narrative is the fact their MVP did not play and neither did their gutless starting TE.

I also heard you were cheering like a pussy. You weren't like "F_CK YEAH! LET'S EAT THEIR SOULS".

You were more like: "gosh I really hope they do well!"

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
Each week with each win expectations ramped up.
Everyone went from “maybe they’ll be 8-8” to “maybe they’ll win a wildcard berth” etc etc.
The same happened with Trubisky, people just wanted progress, then they wanted a “Goff-like” jump, then they wanted him to win playoff games.
With both the Bears and Trubisky fans kept moving the goalposts, maybe that’s why the field goal kicker had so many problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also heard you were cheering like a pussy. You weren't like "F_CK YEAH! LET'S EAT THEIR SOULS".

You were more like: "gosh I really hope they do well!"
WTF? You girls are delusional... and real stupid.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Each week with each win expectations ramped up.
Everyone went from “maybe they’ll be 8-8” to “maybe they’ll win a wildcard berth” etc etc.
The same happened with Trubisky, people just wanted progress, then they wanted a “Goff-like” jump, then they wanted him to win playoff games.
With both the Bears and Trubisky fans kept moving the goalposts, maybe that’s why the field goal kicker had so many problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah. Unless you were an eternal unrealistic optimist a 12-4 record and winning the division were over most peoples expectations...as the season went on and you saw glimpses of what could be the expectations then grew well past what the beginning year expectations were...that is is kind of human nature.

The defense went from good to great and the offense went from league worst to slightly above average.

To make a short analogy long, lets say you went to Best Buy expecting a 10% discount on something.....when you got to the store you saw there was a 50% discount on the item you wanted, but that the sale had ended. Now it was only a 25% discount. Technically better than the 10% you expected but less than what could have been if you got there earlier....should you be pissed?