Illinois Football Thread

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
You don't get the raging optimism because you don't understand UIUC. Everyone from the OSU boards to B&B are praising this move, yet here you are.

I dunno, I spent 13 years growing up in IL, most of my friends went there, and my brother got his undergrad, Masters, and PhD from there. I think I've got as decent a handle on it as anyone else--without the orange glasses.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I dunno, I spent 13 years growing up in IL, most of my friends went there, and my brother got his undergrad, Masters, and PhD from there. I think I've got as decent a handle on it as anyone else--without the orange glasses.
So IOW B&B and all the other positive media who have been negative about IL, but like this move and think its positive so they must have orange glasses.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
So IOW B&B and all the other positive media who have been negative about IL, but like this move and think its positive so they must have orange glasses.

Now where did I say it wasn't a positive move? It absolutely is. I just don't think it's going to end up nearly as good as you think it is. I think it moves the chains 15-20 yards so to speak, but it isn't a 40 yard TD pass to win the game.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Now where did I say it wasn't a positive move? It absolutely is. I just don't think it's going to end up nearly as good as you think it is. I think it moves the chains 15-20 yards so to speak, but it isn't a 40 yard TD pass to win the game.
Who needs 40 yards? I mentioned previously about Illinois being in the B1G West and you chose to ignore that information so you could rant about Lovie's record on the NFL. His record in the NFL isn't going to impact his record at UIUC. Pete Carroll was canned in NE and succeeded at USC. No one expects Smith to beat Saban in the National Championship game. Getting IL on track like Alvarez did at Wisconsin is doable. Start getting 6-6 and 7-5 and go from there. He can do that the first 2-3 years and hopefully the recruiting classes improve the first couple of years. Surely he can do better than the majority of 2 stars that Cubit was bringing in this season. He isn't going to be losing recruiting battles to Miznoz. Compare him to Zook, Beckman, Cubit. This man is ahead of them in how he presents himself to the public. That translates positively.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
$4 mil assistant coach pool. That is 3rd in B1G behind Michigan and OSU.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's "uninspiring" about it? The instant national recognition? The ability to go into any living room in America to recruit?

The fact that Smith has zero connection to the current college game and is a retread NFL coach when there are better options at the college level.

I almost forgot that you are a blind Illini homer though. Have fun.

Can't wait until Groce gets fired and is replaced by Vinny DelNegro

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
48 hours ago, conventional thinking was:

a) Cubit would be here two years
b) We would be bad, and the rebuild wouldn't even start until 2 years from now
c) The school wouldn't make coaching changes due to budget constraints
d) The new AD was hired because he'd be happy just to have the job, and be a Yes man, and he won't be allowed to make moves
e) The Administration sply does not care about athletics and won't address them

ALL of those have beenblown up with this move.

Inspiring to me!

None of those has anything to do with Smith being a complete "blah" and bland hire when there are better coaches available at the college level.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getting IL on track like Alvarez did at Wisconsin is doable.
LOL. Barry Alvarez was a known commodity at the college level when he got the Wisconsin job. He was maybe the best asst. coach in America when he left ND. He's in no way comparable to Smith.

You've already had way too much Kool Aid

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did you expect more?

Sent from the mod station in Nome, Alaska.

Honestly, yes. I expected a more progressive approach to the next coach in terms of find the next "young gun" coming in. Not an NFL re-tread that hasn't coached at the college level since Bill Clinton's first term.

This might be a short term deal to keep the program afloat in the short term but I don't think it really moves the program forward in any real way.

Then again in this thread you have Parade_Rain already drawing comps to Pete Carrol and Barry Alvarez...............

Last edited:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
LOL. Barry Alvarez was a known commodity at the college level when he got the Wisconsin job. He was maybe the best asst. coach in America when he left ND. He's in no way comparable to Smith.

You've already had way too much Kool Aid
LOL. Alvarez was not a national household name.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
LOL, how many assistant coaches are household names?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL. Alvarez was not a national household name.

kvKXd.gif

1. Lovie Smith really isn't.

2. Alvarez absolutely was in terms of college football. He was the top assistant on one of the best teams in the country during his tenure there and he recruited nationally and was instrumental in recruiting for Notre Dame. Alvarez had a very strong national reputation prior to the Wisconsin hire and was well known in CFB circles..which is really all that matters considering it's the sport he was being hired to coach.

Lovie Smith couldn't figure out offense at the pro level..I can't wait to see him try and wrap his mind around the melting pot that is CFB offense.

"Wes Lunt is our quarterback"

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Andy Staples had a nice write up on the Smith hire.

He likes the idea to move on from Cubit but it's pretty bleak when it starts getting into recruiting in terms of if Smith has the heart for recruiting and will play the game. Staples terms Smith best pitch as a recruiter as being able to say he took the Bears to a Super Bowl a decade ago......ick.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Andy Staples had a nice write up on the Smith hire.

He likes the idea to move on from Cubit but it's pretty bleak when it starts getting into recruiting in terms of if Smith has the heart for recruiting and will play the game. Staples terms Smith best pitch as a recruiter as being able to say he took the Bears to a Super Bowl a decade ago......ick.

I'd like to see Lovie go into the living room of a top rated WR or QB and honestly say that he has a track record of great offenses.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Also, he can recruit Illinois all he wants, but IL HS FB <<<<<<<< IL HS BB
That's good because no one expects him to fill a team with 2* Illinois kids when he can recruit St Louis, Texas and Florida, too.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's good because no one expects him to fill a team with 2* Illinois kids when he can recruit St Louis, Texas and Florida, too.

What has Smith done to prove he can recruit those areas...or any areas?

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the hire. Most of the fans happy with this move don't think Illinois will automatically start competing with Ohio State and Alabama for the championship. However, Smith at least will not give us the last ranked recruiting class in the B1G like Cubit did. Also, I don't know who you would expect to come to Illinois at this time in March. Wasn't going to be PJ Fleck and I doubt the school was going to wait a year before firing Cubit. Just rip the bandaid and get it over with. Smith gives you instant credibility. Will it translate to big bowl games at the beginning? I don't expect it to. However, we should at least not be getting the last ranked recriting class in the B1G

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The fact that Smith has zero connection to the current college game and is a retread NFL coach when there are better options at the college level.

I almost forgot that you are a blind Illini homer though. Have fun.

Can't wait until Groce gets fired and is replaced by Vinny DelNegro

First, the fact that people find this a positive move does not mean they think we will win multiple national championships.

But it DOES mean we now think the Administration actually gives a rat's ass.

As for the Vinnie Del Negro line - not only not funny, but stolen. Lame.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What has Smith done to prove he can recruit those areas...or any areas?

I don't know how good a recruiter he can be, or how good a recruiter he will hire. That remains to be seen.

But I do know he at least has credibility, and is well known and well respected. That is a far cry from our recent coaches. Even Zook, who was positive and a good recruiter, has a bad reputation, and was targeted by opponents as "shady". That won't be an issue now.

I will go out on a limb and just predict that Lovie will get some kids that wouldn't give Beckman the time of day.

Let's face it. Even die hard Illini fans would have to think twice about allowing their kid to play for Beckman.