The NHL Is Coming To Seattle

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
https://deadspin.com/the-nhl-is-coming-to-seattle-1830849824

https://www.tsn.ca/seattle-officially-approved-as-the-nhl-s-32nd-franchise-1.1220648

Still don't know how to post tweets inline on this stupid board, but here is this fun bit, hope it works.

https://twitter.com/AdamVingan/status/1070001361100640257

Our minor league team Arizona is in the Central now... which means we lost or biggest trade partner because why would you trade in division... Stan sobbing in beer right now.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is there any way to force them to take Seabrook?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
https://deadspin.com/the-nhl-is-coming-to-seattle-1830849824

https://www.tsn.ca/seattle-officially-approved-as-the-nhl-s-32nd-franchise-1.1220648

Still don't know how to post tweets inline on this stupid board, but here is this fun bit, hope it works.

https://twitter.com/AdamVingan/status/1070001361100640257

Our minor league team Arizona is in the Central now... which means we lost or biggest trade partner because why would you trade in division... Stan sobbing in beer right now.

You think Stan will survive to 2022? I think he gets shitcanned in the offseason.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sweet. Should do well there

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
You think Stan will survive to 2022? I think he gets shitcanned in the offseason.

I think at this point McDick may be too scared to replace him because he's the only thing stopping the general public from knowing how little he knows how to run an hockey franchise and they he'll be the only one left to blame.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I really thought the clipper guy would have moved the team up to Seattle by now so they share a nice stadium.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think at this point McDick may be too scared to replace him because he's the only thing stopping the general public from knowing how little he knows how to run an hockey franchise and they he'll be the only one left to blame.

Depends on who he can replace him with. I think most fans know/understand that McDonut is not a hockey guy, but a marketer/salesman--essentially the bastard lovechild of the Grinch and Rudy Russo from the move "Used Cars". As long as he sticks to doing that I think he's fine--and I think Rocky will be ambivalent as long as things don't turn back to the Pullford/$bill era where asses were not filling the seats in perpetuity.

In other words, as long as rebuilds are short and asses are in the seats Rocky won't be after McDonut's hide. McDonut can save his skin by making sure he doesn't pull a Stan--Whomever Stan's replacement is has to be a knowledgeable guy with a straightforward plan that at least gives the fans the illusion of competence. Granted, I don't know who that is, but I think even though Q needed to be gone, the timing of it was completely off and so far Stan looks worse off for it. Especially with the players perceived attitude towards JC.

Plus, I think the company line of "This is a playoff team" (which it's not) plays into an out for upper management. Q wasn't working. Stan brought in his own guy and they're doing worse. If the team's trend continues (bottom in the league) Stan's set up to be the scapegoat.

My $0.02.

I really thought the clipper guy would have moved the team up to Seattle by now so they share a nice stadium.

The biggest issue with Seattle right now is that's most certainly *not* a nice stadium. It's worse than America West or, for a more recent example, Barclay's. In fact, Key Arena is probably the worst hockey venue I've ever had the misfortune of catching a game in--and the basketball fans I know say it's not much better for basketball.

If the published reason Seattle's hockey team is not starting until 2022 because it will take that long to renovate the arena, then there's no reason for a basketball club to move in now--especially because right now the arena is shitty.

In fact I can go so far as to say that a lot of the pas/fail for Seattle is going to hinge on that arena's rebuild. Given the fact that I lived in the area in the 2000's I can definitively tell you that there are a lot of way that some outside group can deep-6 the renovation from an acceptable hockey/basketball arena into a retread of Barclay's--and that would kill a hockey franchise.

I think a retread of the Sonics is going to wait until they figure out what they got in an arena 1st.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Depends on who he can replace him with. I think most fans know/understand that McDonut is not a hockey guy, but a marketer/salesman--essentially the bastard lovechild of the Grinch and Rudy Russo from the move "Used Cars". As long as he sticks to doing that I think he's fine--and I think Rocky will be ambivalent as long as things don't turn back to the Pullford/$bill era where asses were not filling the seats in perpetuity.

In other words, as long as rebuilds are short and asses are in the seats Rocky won't be after McDonut's hide. McDonut can save his skin by making sure he doesn't pull a Stan--Whomever Stan's replacement is has to be a knowledgeable guy with a straightforward plan that at least gives the fans the illusion of competence. Granted, I don't know who that is, but I think even though Q needed to be gone, the timing of it was completely off and so far Stan looks worse off for it. Especially with the players perceived attitude towards JC.

Plus, I think the company line of "This is a playoff team" (which it's not) plays into an out for upper management. Q wasn't working. Stan brought in his own guy and they're doing worse. If the team's trend continues (bottom in the league) Stan's set up to be the scapegoat.

My $0.02.

The biggest issue with Seattle right now is that's most certainly *not* a nice stadium. It's worse than America West or, for a more recent example, Barclay's. In fact, Key Arena is probably the worst hockey venue I've ever had the misfortune of catching a game in--and the basketball fans I know say it's not much better for basketball.

If the published reason Seattle's hockey team is not starting until 2022 because it will take that long to renovate the arena, then there's no reason for a basketball club to move in now--especially because right now the arena is shitty.

In fact I can go so far as to say that a lot of the pas/fail for Seattle is going to hinge on that arena's rebuild. Given the fact that I lived in the area in the 2000's I can definitively tell you that there are a lot of way that some outside group can deep-6 the renovation from an acceptable hockey/basketball arena into a retread of Barclay's--and that would kill a hockey franchise.

I think a retread of the Sonics is going to wait until they figure out what they got in an arena 1st.

Yes, but I think it takes a certain amount of hockey sense in order to hire the guy that you're going to run your hockey organization. IT depends on how he is as a boss. It might be tempting for some guys to be able to come in and work for a guy that is completely hands off but on the other side it might not be as tempting to come in and work for a guy who is only worried about how what you do affects the marketing and bottom line. He hired stan basically because Bowman was a recognizable name, and at the time Scotty was a closer senior adviser so he probably assumed at the very least he'll hold some cache over that, but over time we've seen how that works out. The finance guy tried to show everyone how smart he was by making genius financial moves that turned out to be very poor hockey moves. And the farther away Scotty gets the more we see how bad the hawks are getting. I don't trust Bowman at all with a rebuild, and I'm not sure that I trust McDick to hire an appropriate guy for the position instead of just trying to go out and find a splash hire like he did with Bowman. Rocky...what does he care. He won't until he has to start drinking 12 year instead of 20 year.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Good for Seattle.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
wonder what the name will be, Seattle snow shoes, seattle sleds, Santas?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Depends on who you ask. Chances are "The Metropolitans" are out (hey, of Ottawa can resurrect a successful early 20th century franchise...). I don't think they'd use "Thunderbirds". I've heard "The Totems", "The Emeralds", & "The Breakers" as some of the front runners, as well as a lot of glib people calling for them to be named "The Supersonics" just to spite the NBA.

Personally, the best name I heard was "The Seattle Battle Cattle" I doubt it happens though.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

A lot of the concept jersey designs and such seem to want to relate to the aerospace industry. Pilots was popular for some reason. Maybe there is a minor league team, or their used to be a team there?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A lot of the concept jersey designs and such seem to want to relate to the aerospace industry. Pilots was popular for some reason. Maybe there is a minor league team, or their used to be a team there?

Seattle Metropolitans: 1st US team to hoist the Stanley Cup

Seattle Thunderbirds: Their WHL Team. Was also known as the Breakers early on.

Seattle Totems were a folded CHL (Central Hockey League) Team.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Seattle Metropolitans: 1st US team to hoist the Stanley Cup

Seattle Thunderbirds: Their WHL Team. Was also known as the Breakers early on.

Seattle Totems were a folded CHL (Central Hockey League) Team.

Metropolitans was another suggestion, but they won't do that because stupid people will get confused with the division.