Weak 13: Robbie Gould 15, Bears 14 - the shoopster breaks it down . . .

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
"If I'm Lyin' I'm" Ryan Pace and John Fox are 12-and-32 since taking control of the bunch of bums currently calling themselves Chicago Bears.

With the latest ignominious loss to the 1-and-10 San Francisco 49ers, Fox becomes the losingest Head Coach in a history full of shitty ones, falling behind the infamous Abe Gibron in winning percentage. He did so while leading a lackadaisical effort against one of the worst teams in the NFL, succumbing to 15-to-14 against a team that didn't score a touchdown. Thus does the shoopster break it down . . .

. . . Last week, the shoopster vowed to up the pressure on bonus baby "Frisky" Mitch Trubisky. The resultant truth-telling on Trubisky's happy feet and poor mechanics led to a week's worth of hand-wringing from Bear apologists, but the shoospter has to call it as only he can possibly see it. Against the 49ers, Trubisky seemed to have cleaned up his act a bit, but he was nonetheless listless against one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Following up on last week's sloppy effort, The Frisky One looked uninspired yet again. This is becoming a troubling pattern. Either Trubisky just doesn't have the fire to be a leader in the NFL or he had it and the conservative playcalling of Duh-well Loggains has sapped it from within him. Either way, Trubisky looks like he's already given up. There can be no denying the fact that this quarterback doesn't look like a leader of men on the field. That as much as anything else is a troubling indicator about whether he has what he needs to succeed in his chosen profession.

By the numbers, Trubisky was 12-for-15 for 100 yards and 1 TD. Eight games into his NFL career, these pedestrian stat numbers are another troubling indicator. Once again, Trubisky did not show any flashes of brilliance in this listless performance. He is merely executing the poorly-conceived orders of Loggains. So the Bears spent a #2 pick on a game manager who's won 2 of 8 starts? Yes, he's a rookie; yes, he needs time, but the intagibles - the leadership skills, the physical "wow" factor, the ability to elevate the play of anyone around him: Trubisky hasn't shown any of that yet. Concern continues . . .

. . . Against a the 49ers 28th ranked defense missing two starters, Jordan "Hubba Hubba" Howard turned in a stinker. Howard did not look to be running with purpose. And of course he brought his stone hands to the screen passing game. Howard as well is troubling, a youngster who should be bringing his A-game every week yet seems strangely distant at times. His running mate, Tarik "The Freak" Cohen, continued to get looks out of the backfield, which essentially prompted holding penalties. It added up to another non-existent rungame from the team that boasts the number 4 rusher in the NFL, and a mismatch on time of possession that left a bad Bear defense even more vulnerable . . .

. . . About that defense, a loss to one of the worst offii (pl: offense) should put to rest the incessant babbling of Bear apologists insisting they must - AT ALL COSTS - hold onto blowhard Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio. "Vaunted" Vic came out of the tunnel with a conservative, pussy-fied gameplan that relied on soft coverage and 3 down linemen rushing a new quarterback and a bad 49er offense. For his part, Jimmy Garropolo took advantage, picking the Bears apart across the middle of the field, where the injury-riddled Bears were forced to start a piece of garbage off the street called a "Prosinksy." While Bear fans rave about the idiosycratic Fangio, his defense has given up 20 or more points in 9 of 12 games, hardly the mark of a "MUST HAVE" coordinator. Hopefully, today's flaccid performance has convinced the Fangio fanatics what the rest of us already know - it's time to go . . .

. . . The biggest problem with the Bears losing to a 1-and-10 team was that they looked flat doing it. It is clear that this team has given up on John Fox. Are they going to be allowed to listlessly play out the string these final four games and continue to insult the intelligence and dedication of Bear fans? Despite the McCaskeys' policy of not making coaching changes in mid-season, prudence dictates one must occur in order to restore a sense of accountability to a team that clearly doesn't give a "rip" anymore. Obviously, the crotchety, arrogant Fox is the deserved target, but if Ryan Pace remains too scared to make a move, then Duh-well Loggains will make an appropriate substitute. His offense is hurting the development of the franchise quarterback, the workhorse running back, and the defense by continuing to put them in difficult if not impossible situations.

Black Monday won't cut it. It's time to make a move.

Last edited:

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
Agree
Agree
Agree
Uninspired and unwatchable

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
“I’m honestly extremely disappointed in this season,” Pace said. “But I’m honestly excited going forward. My message to Bears fans is simple: We’re going to get better. We WILL improve. I hear you. But I also understand this is just talk and we’ve got to show actions. We’ve got to show results. I fully get that… .

“My promise to Bears fans, and I really mean this: There’s not a moment that goes by that we’re both not consumed with getting this right. This is unacceptable. It’s painful to deal with. I get it. We’re going to get better. There’s a lot of young players that are going to improve. There’s a lot of players coming back that are going to help us. There’s a lot of things we can do this offseason to make us better.”

I can’t wait to hear what he says this year.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lol just came off a flight from Chicago when we scored and I see we still lost lol

AustinIllini

Lifetime of futility
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Dallas Stars
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
By the numbers, Trubisky was 12-for-15 for 100 yards and 1 TD. Eight games into his NFL career, these pedestrian stat numbers are another troubling indicator. Once again, Trubisky did not show any flashes of brilliance in this listless performance. He is merely executing the poorly-conceived orders of Loggains. So the Bears spent a #2 pick on a game manager who's won 2 of 8 starts? Yes, he's a rookie; yes, he needs time, but the intagibles - the leadership skills, the physical "wow" factor, the ability to elevate the play of anyone around him: Trubisky hasn't shown any of that yet. Concern continues . . .

I appreciate your insight and admire your detail. You have correctly nailed what is wrong with the passing offense, however you misdiagnosed the cause. The reality is, no one is letting MT make plays. The leash from this coaching staff is just too tight.

If we choose to follow Occam's razor, all the problems you have listed are addressed if not solved by replacing the coaching staff.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
I appreciate your insight and admire your detail. You have correctly nailed what is wrong with the passing offense, however you misdiagnosed the cause. The reality is, no one is letting MT make plays. The leash from this coaching staff is just too tight.

If we choose to follow Occam's razor, all the problems you have listed are addressed if not solved by replacing the coaching staff.

There's no doubt that the coaching staff is hampering The Frisky One, and as the shoopster suggested an appropriate response sooner rather than later would be relieving him of any further damage from Loggains.

But that's not everything. Trubisky's play has for the most part been uninspired, the last two games in particular. He sure isn't showing the spark he had in the pre-season, let alone in his first couple of starts. He has been neutered. His spirit is either breaking under Loggains's heavy hand or it wasn't there to begin with. Hopefully it's the former, because otherwise the Bears are in big trouble . . .

PS - Occam was a smart guy but what the hell did he know about football? . . .

Last edited:

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
Kyle Orton rookie year was more inspiring then mr3&out trubisky

As bad as that offense was, I think the Bears would kill for an in-their-prime Muhsin Muhammad and Desmond Clark, along with a young Bernard Berrian right now.

billwade

Liked Posts:
The stark contrast between Garoppolo and Trubisky was just another indication of how Lynch owned Pace in 2017.

Make no mistake, Garoppolo's receivers are only marginally better than the Bears, yet he looked like he was throwing to Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens. If you look at the 22s, you'll see Trubisky is missing a lot of opportunities. He's not anticipating receivers coming open or he's flat out missing them. the zones are really confusing him. He was supposed to be very accurate in college, so I don't know what's up with all the bad throws, but he's been a disappointment. He's got about 8 more games before th natives are restless and rightfully start calling for the next man up.

I'm sick of Fangio's defense. The LB drops are awful. They can't cover and don't know their responsibilities. Garoppolo exploited them all day. The Bears have the personnel to run the 4-3 defense that Greg Blanche used back in the "dead" Dick Jauron days. I hope the Bears get rid of Fangio and go back to a 4-3. The gimicky 3-4 hybrid gets too many players injured and the type of players required to run it are too rare.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
As bad as that offense was, I think the Bears would kill for an in-their-prime Muhsin Muhammad and Desmond Clark, along with a young Bernard Berrian right now.

I'd rather have Marshall, Jeffry and bennett right now, but Pace doesn't seem to like talented players.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
The stark contrast between Garoppolo and Trubisky was just another indication of how Lynch owned Pace in 2017.

Make no mistake, Garoppolo's receivers are only marginally better than the Bears, yet he looked like he was throwing to Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens. If you look at the 22s, you'll see Trubisky is missing a lot of opportunities. He's not anticipating receivers coming open or he's flat out missing them. the zones are really confusing him. He was supposed to be very accurate in college, so I don't know what's up with all the bad throws, but he's been a disappointment. He's got about 8 more games before th natives are restless and rightfully start calling for the next man up.

I'm sick of Fangio's defense. The LB drops are awful. They can't cover and don't know their responsibilities. Garoppolo exploited them all day. The Bears have the personnel to run the 4-3 defense that Greg Blanche used back in the "dead" Dick Jauron days. I hope the Bears get rid of Fangio and go back to a 4-3. The gimicky 3-4 hybrid gets too many players injured and the type of players required to run it are too rare.

Still remember the greg blache front with Ted washington and keith traylor in the middle. That was a great defense.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Trubisky is quickly approaching below average starter.

His leadership,game mgmt, energy, etc all look awful.

The organization needs a staff of professionals and offensive minds to turn this around immediately or were looking for a new qb in 2019.

BearsJR

Liked Posts:

Not really sure how Jimmy G comes into play with Pace getting owned. It's not like Lynch conned Pace into taking Trubs cuz he knew he'd get Jimmy later.
Besides that, I'd love to see the 22s to see what MT missed and see how good Jimmy looked. To my eye (untrained 45 year Bear fan), SF offense looked light years ahead of the Bears. Not any player per se, but the scheme, the plays, the separation. The whole thing just looked so much better. I saw Jimmy miss throws high and low, and miss wide open guys too, and hell he threw a completion into triple coverage that he should never have completed, that was all on the receiver and a terrible throw by Jimmy. He had wide open receivers seemingly all damn day, and a ton of time to look for them. Seemed like Trubs had the walls closing in as soon as he hit his back foot. Now Jimmy looked way more poised I'll give you that, but you're comparing a guy who's been in the league, learning from Tom fucking Brady and Bill Bellicheck to a guy who's a rook learning from a frozen giraffe, Mr. Buttfumble and duhhhwell Loggains...and then there's Foxy. I'm not really sure how much better hometown jimmy would look had the Bears been able to pry him from NE at the start of the season, but my guess is he'd only look slightly better.

billwade

Liked Posts:
Not really sure how Jimmy G comes into play with Pace getting owned. It's not like Lynch conned Pace into taking Trubs cuz he knew he'd get Jimmy later.
Besides that, I'd love to see the 22s to see what MT missed and see how good Jimmy looked. To my eye (untrained 45 year Bear fan), SF offense looked light years ahead of the Bears. Not any player per se, but the scheme, the plays, the separation. The whole thing just looked so much better. I saw Jimmy miss throws high and low, and miss wide open guys too, and hell he threw a completion into triple coverage that he should never have completed, that was all on the receiver and a terrible throw by Jimmy. He had wide open receivers seemingly all damn day, and a ton of time to look for them. Seemed like Trubs had the walls closing in as soon as he hit his back foot. Now Jimmy looked way more poised I'll give you that, but you're comparing a guy who's been in the league, learning from Tom fucking Brady and Bill Bellicheck to a guy who's a rook learning from a frozen giraffe, Mr. Buttfumble and duhhhwell Loggains...and then there's Foxy. I'm not really sure how much better hometown jimmy would look had the Bears been able to pry him from NE at the start of the season, but my guess is he'd only look slightly better.

I would imagine if you asked 10 NFL coaches last offseason (or right now for that matter) whether they would rather have Garoppolo or Trubisky on their roster, all ten would pick Garoppolo. In the offseason, both SF and Chicago needed a QB. Lynch conned Pace into giving up a 3rd round pick to move up one place when there was no need to. Lynch also was prescient enough to realize Belichick was going to find himself backed into a tighter corner with Garoppolo as the season progressed. So in essence, Lynch got the better of the two Qbs for a 2nd round pick and picked up a third in the process.

As for your breakdown, the stats say otherwise. Again, with 3 weeks preparation, Shanahan felt comfortable enough to let Garoppolo throw it 37 times, and he completed 70% of those passes, so your observation that "I saw Jimmy miss throws high and low, and miss wide open guys too, " isn't confirmed by the stat line. I admit this is subjective, but I don't think there is any question Garoppolo looked like an NFL caliber QB

Trubisky on the other hand looked the same as he has every game it the past. He was not pressured significantly or often. He simply is not seeing the field. If you subscribe to the 22s you'll see what I'm talking about. He's not anticipating his receivers coming open, and he's missing those that are wide open. He also isn't sensing where the pressure is coming from very well. As for the playcalling, Loggains is calling standard passing plays that all NFL teams using. You may question the timing, but there's nothing wrong with the construction of the plays themselves. In many cases, the breakdown is all on Trubisky.

look, I hope he improves, but right now, it looks like Garoppolo for a 2nd and getting a third is a much better deal than trubisky and a third.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Goldman and Hicks would be naturals for those roles

The switch would probably be easy. I guess all your doing is taking a LB and turning him into a de. The only thing you lose some exotic blitzes but doesn't seem that is a problem with this unit because they aren't doing any. If you are switching to a 4-3 now would be a good time to do it.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
“I’m honestly extremely disappointed in this season,” Pace said. “But I’m honestly excited going forward. My message to Bears fans is simple: We’re going to get better. We WILL improve. I hear you. But I also understand this is just talk and we’ve got to show actions. We’ve got to show results. I fully get that… .

“My promise to Bears fans, and I really mean this: There’s not a moment that goes by that we’re both not consumed with getting this right. This is unacceptable. It’s painful to deal with. I get it. We’re going to get better. There’s a lot of young players that are going to improve. There’s a lot of players coming back that are going to help us. There’s a lot of things we can do this offseason to make us better.”

I can’t wait to hear what he says this year.

Pace also stressed the importance of last year's #2 pick by insisting that would be the last time for a long time that the Bears would pick that high, yet here they are again just a year later with three wins and an almost certain Top 5 pick.

By the expectations Pace set himself, he has failed . . .

Last edited:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...winning-without-rodgers-broncos-get-an-f/amp/

[https://sports-cbsimg-net]Bears: D

The Bears have had some ugly offensive performances this season, but this one might have been the worst and possibly the most embarrassing. In a game against one of the worst defenses in the NFL, the Bears were able to muster only 147 yards, which was shockingly bad, even for the Bears. The yardage total marked just the second time since 1990 that the Bears didn't crack the 150-yard mark in a home game.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BearsJR

Liked Posts:
I would imagine if you asked 10 NFL coaches last offseason (or right now for that matter) whether they would rather have Garoppolo or Trubisky on their roster, all ten would pick Garoppolo. In the offseason, both SF and Chicago needed a QB. Lynch conned Pace into giving up a 3rd round pick to move up one place when there was no need to. Lynch also was prescient enough to realize Belichick was going to find himself backed into a tighter corner with Garoppolo as the season progressed. So in essence, Lynch got the better of the two Qbs for a 2nd round pick and picked up a third in the process.

As for your breakdown, the stats say otherwise. Again, with 3 weeks preparation, Shanahan felt comfortable enough to let Garoppolo throw it 37 times, and he completed 70% of those passes, so your observation that "I saw Jimmy miss throws high and low, and miss wide open guys too, " isn't confirmed by the stat line. I admit this is subjective, but I don't think there is any question Garoppolo looked like an NFL caliber QB

Trubisky on the other hand looked the same as he has every game it the past. He was not pressured significantly or often. He simply is not seeing the field. If you subscribe to the 22s you'll see what I'm talking about. He's not anticipating his receivers coming open, and he's missing those that are wide open. He also isn't sensing where the pressure is coming from very well. As for the playcalling, Loggains is calling standard passing plays that all NFL teams using. You may question the timing, but there's nothing wrong with the construction of the plays themselves. In many cases, the breakdown is all on Trubisky.

look, I hope he improves, but right now, it looks like Garoppolo for a 2nd and getting a third is a much better deal than trubisky and a third.

Man if what you're saying is true, then Lynch should quit as GM and just go pick some lottery numbers. He was prescient enough to realize Bellicheck would find himself backed into a corner? Really? So every other GM in the NFL didn't see it, but god like Lynch did? I don't know man you might be reaching there.
I may get the all 22s, as usual the CBS broadcast is terrible. Fox is so much better than CBS and it's not even close.
It looked to me like Trubs had the pocket closing in on nearly every play, and I saw a couple times where at least 2 receivers were in the same place at the same time.
If you're saying the difference in how these two offenses looked today was solely on the QB, well I gotta disagree strongly. Ad if JG missed on 30% of his throws (not saying that's terrible), then yeah he could've had a few high, low, and just plain off.
Again I'll have to see the all 22s, but I highly doubt that the "breakdown of the offensive plays is all on Trubs".