Illinois Football Thread

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not sure why so much concern about Beason in a position of less need or being "out of position". How did you determine DB would be out of position"?
Because he's a better WR than DB and Beason with the ball in his hands is more valuable than him playing DB.

We may or may not have to wait to see Thomas and/or Ford, but FWIW, we picked up transfers from Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma and Miami.
Ok?

And these are highly rated recruits
They WERE highly rated recruits. The only one that has really proved anything is Thomas and he's got a host of other issues.

1/3 is 2 stars?
Yes. What was unclear about what I posted? I even cited the scouting service that said so.
The average ranking of the HS signees puts Illinois at #30 in the country.
It's a top heavy class. I already said that. (Williams, Beason, Cooper)...my other issue is a guy like Okpala boosts the class and so does Randolph but those guys are two years away from seeing the field. Okpala might not really be a factor until his RS Soph season he's that raw.

On top of all this I have zero confidence in Lovie being able to manage this team or program.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Diaz said "Wait. You told a school you're coming there, and a couple weeks later you are willing to renege on that?"

More so, for as talented as Thomas is he's just as big a headache...maybe more so.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Because he's a better WR than DB and Beason with the ball in his hands is more valuable than him playing DB.

Ok?

They WERE highly rated recruits. The only one that has really proved anything is Thomas and he's got a host of other issues.

Yes. What was unclear about what I posted? I even cited the scouting service that said so.

It's a top heavy class. I already said that. (Williams, Beason, Cooper)...my other issue is a guy like Okpala boosts the class and so does Randolph but those guys are two years away from seeing the field. Okpala might not really be a factor until his RS Soph season he's that raw.

On top of all this I have zero confidence in Lovie being able to manage this team or program.

I seem to have really struck a nerve with you for some reason. I don't know why.

On Beason, I was anticipating he was a WR, but he played both in HS. I know a lot of players move around so wasn't certain where he'd land. But I certainly don't see either position set in stone.

Yes they WERE highly rated recruits, and are not HS recruits now. Petitbon was a backup at a school that puts OL into the NFL in early rounds every year. I don't think that means he sucked, but I can't say. It is true that he was a backup - and also quite possible he is at Illinois as well. Depth at OL won't be a bad thing. But OL was a strength and most are back, so we'll see. Someone said Petitbon will be astarter, but we don't yet know that.

I am not ready to write off Ford for not having a tremendus impact as a freshman at a school that had one of the best talent in all of college football last year.

Thomas is definitely a head case as we have acknowledged, and is head and shoulders above anything we have talent-wise. He's a concern, but has talent we don't have elsewhere.

The WR from Oklahoma? I don't know what we can expect. He was on a team with a lot of offensive talent, but he also did little even as an upperclassman. But I think it's reasonable to expect he can be better than the WR talent we have coming back.

I wasn't arguing the 1/3rd statement. I was surprised to see that, as I had only looked at the class once, and I don't recall a lot of 2 stars. I didn't see Rivals, and am sorry to see they are lower there. I looked at a site I could see without a subscription. I am not looking to find sites that rank our guys higher. I want an honest assessment. (Such as - the LB transfer from Oregon was a 3* where I saw, but Illini fans are routinely referring to him as a 4* when discussing him)

Between the HS recruits and transfers, we have many who are more highly considered than anyone we have had since the Zook years. That's admittedly a low bar, but at least this class cleared it. I think it is something like 8 of the top 10 since 2002 are in this class. That's finally a move in the right direction. The class size is small, and we did not get OL as hoped. But it's far better this year than in the past few.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
On Beason, I was anticipating he was a WR, but he played both in HS. I know a lot of players move around so wasn't certain where he'd land. But I certainly don't see either position set in stone.
Ok.

Yes they WERE highly rated recruits, and are not HS recruits now. Petitbon was a backup at a school that puts OL into the NFL in early rounds every year. I don't think that means he sucked, but I can't say.
It also doesn't mean that he didn't suck. He's also had his ACL reconstructed.

I am not ready to write off Ford for not having a tremendous impact as a freshman at a school that had one of the best talent in all of college football last year.
I'm not writing Ford off. But guys bust all the time and leaving UGA isn't a great sign.

Thomas is definitely a head case as we have acknowledged, and is head and shoulders above anything we have talent-wise. He's a concern, but has talent we don't have elsewhere.
If it ever even gets on the field.

Between the HS recruits and transfers, we have many who are more highly considered than anyone we have had since the Zook years. That's admittedly a low bar, but at least this class cleared it. I think it is something like 8 of the top 10 since 2002 are in this class. That's finally a move in the right direction. The class size is small, and we did not get OL as hoped. But it's far better this year than in the past few.
Assuming these guys "hit" and are even playing the right positions.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Do some research on Jeff Thomas.

I am familiar with Jeff Thomas.

I joked that Diaz (who reneged on Temple) questioned Thomas reneging on Illinois, and I didn't understand how "More so" applied.

No biggie.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ok.

It also doesn't mean that he didn't suck. He's also had his ACL reconstructed.

I'm not writing Ford off. But guys bust all the time and leaving UGA isn't a great sign.

If it ever even gets on the field.

Assuming these guys "hit" and are even playing the right positions.

Well, I certainly share concerns that Thomas works out. I agree with you that he comes with baggage and depending on the waiver, may potentially never play for us.

I don't see Ford leaving Georgia as a negative or a positive.

I can't argue that the players only help if playing positions where they have ability. That is true every year. I get that you have specific concerns on two of them, thus your statement. I get that. Williams is small, and not every college coach was ready to put him at QB. And Beason would be nice at WR. I just hope we do play the players at their best positions (or where it best helps the team).

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Susan Miller Degnan

Verified account

@smillerdegnan
Follow Follow @smillerdegnan
More
Jeff Thomas just posted on Instagram that he will be playing football at Miami. "I have decided to keep playing football and earning my degree at the University of Miami...''

https://twitter.com/smillerdegnan/status/1085371845803737088

And while we're at it, Beason is probably a DB at IL, not a WR.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Aaaaannnnnd.....we won't have to worry any more about Jeff Thomas, as he has flipped back to Miami.

Sorry we don't get the physical Jeff Thomas. Not sorry we lost the mental.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
We are getting some talent for sure. Of course, with Lovie calling the shots, let's see how many are mysteriously suspended or transfer out.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I really don't like that, as I've said.

and :aj: Jeff Thomas
I suspect Beason is a large reason Watkins is transferring out as a 5th year. As for Thomas, Illinois is likely spared some drama, which may benefit Illinois. Also, several Miami tweets, including one from Diaz and another he replied to, make me think he is a real flake. I mean it isn't like he signed on with Temple only to give a FU a little over a week later. He and Thomas are perfect for each other.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I suspect Beason is a large reason Watkins is transferring out as a 5th year. As for Thomas, Illinois is likely spared some drama, which may benefit Illinois. Also, several Miami tweets, including one from Diaz and another he replied to, make me think he is a real flake. I mean it isn't like he signed on with Temple only to give a FU a little over a week later. He and Thomas are perfect for each other.

Diaz got his dream job. I can't really fault him for leaving Temple. He went to Temple to one day get back to Miami and the Miami job opened up out of nowhere.

Thomas has always been a problem child. This isn't news. He was already causing issues at Illinois and driving people insane. (WHODATHUNKIT?!) but I think it's hilarious now Illinois fans turning on him and saying good riddance when a week ago and two days ago they were all about him. Everyone knew what Jeff Thomas was before he decided to come back to Illinois..and people were excited. Acting like they weren't or knew better is dumb.

Losing Watkins hurts.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I grew tired of Thomas act at the U, and was happy he was leaving. Now he is coming back; I hope Diaz can keep Thomas attitude and diva shit in check

TL1961

Liked Posts:
We are getting some talent for sure. Of course, with Lovie calling the shots, let's see how many are mysteriously suspended or transfer out.

I have no issue with a coach suspending players who can't follow team rules. I am not going to criticize Lovie for that.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I grew tired of Thomas act at the U, and was happy he was leaving. Now he is coming back; I hope Diaz can keep Thomas attitude and diva shit in check

If I were you (or "The U"), I'd be more concerned with the maturity of Diaz than that of Thomas, who will be moving on after this season.

Someone tweeted a little video mocking Illinois, and Diaz responded to it with laughing emojis. Certainly not the biggest thing, but if I were a fan, I'd be embarrassed that my coach weighed in on that. He's supposed to be the one with maturity in a room full of 18-20 year olds.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Diaz got his dream job. I can't really fault him for leaving Temple. He went to Temple to one day get back to Miami and the Miami job opened up out of nowhere.

Thomas has always been a problem child. This isn't news. He was already causing issues at Illinois and driving people insane. (WHODATHUNKIT?!) but I think it's hilarious now Illinois fans turning on him and saying good riddance when a week ago and two days ago they were all about him. Everyone knew what Jeff Thomas was before he decided to come back to Illinois..and people were excited. Acting like they weren't or knew better is dumb.

Losing Watkins hurts.

Let's not try and turn it into something it isn't.

Illinois fans were excited to get the talent at WR, a position of great need. They knew he wasn't a solid citizen, but transferring from one school to another was not a red flag, in and of itself.

The back and forth, and playing the Illini were the reason for anyone saying "good riddance". I can't speak for all fans, and clearly there are immature fans everywhere who will respond to player moves in a poor manner, but for me, and most fans, it is a matter of - I was willing to take the chance, as we needed the talent, and he had not done anything at Illinois (he never got there), so we would welcome the talent, and see what happened, behavior wise. I trust the coaching staff to handle that part. And for whatever one's opinion is of Lovie, I think it's fair to say he has taken more disciplinary action in the short time he has been at Illinois than most coaches take in ten years.

I by no means am saying "I never wanted Jeff Thomas anyway!", and I don't believe the majority of fans are saying that either.

The coaching staff, if I am not mistaken, never made public statements regarding Thomas. So people posting "This is so Illinois", and shit like that, are way off base. Illinois was willing to take the talented transfer, but they didn't sell their souls to do so. The Illini staff did nothing in this situation that they should be embarrassed about. (The staff at Miami can't say that, BTW)

We don't have to try and make this situation all about the Illini staff and Illini fans being the bad guys or doing something stupid.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's not try and turn it into something it isn't.

Illinois fans were excited to get the talent at WR, a position of great need. They knew he wasn't a solid citizen, but transferring from one school to another was not a red flag, in and of itself.

The back and forth, and playing the Illini were the reason for anyone saying "good riddance". I can't speak for all fans, and clearly there are immature fans everywhere who will respond to player moves in a poor manner, but for me, and most fans, it is a matter of - I was willing to take the chance, as we needed the talent, and he had not done anything at Illinois (he never got there), so we would welcome the talent, and see what happened, behavior wise. I trust the coaching staff to handle that part. And for whatever one's opinion is of Lovie, I think it's fair to say he has taken more disciplinary action in the short time he has been at Illinois than most coaches take in ten years.

I by no means am saying "I never wanted Jeff Thomas anyway!", and I don't believe the majority of fans are saying that either.

The coaching staff, if I am not mistaken, never made public statements regarding Thomas. So people posting "This is so Illinois", and shit like that, are way off base. Illinois was willing to take the talented transfer, but they didn't sell their souls to do so. The Illini staff did nothing in this situation that they should be embarrassed about. (The staff at Miami can't say that, BTW)

We don't have to try and make this situation all about the Illini staff and Illini fans being the bad guys or doing something stupid.

I never did that. What the fuck are you talking about?

You posted a lot of nothing.