Offseason rumors/discussion thread

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Right, but the majority of teams carry 12 pitchers, not 13, so even questioning Morrow or who will replace him is still a position player we do not have. They have the luxury of 5 guys who can play multiple positions, C-OF, inf-of, anywhere on the diamond.

Moving Bote or Schwarber gets us nowhere close to getting Harper. Those are the guys we need to fill out a roster. Sure some will say Schwarber is now overpaid, but 3 million for a guy that basically does what 22 million does is not the guy that has to go. I dont know who started all the chatwood and bote stuff, but what we did know is Theo said they would have to trade from the major league roster to get better, and all they did was drop a 1.2 million lastella and added a 2.5 million decalsco.

Oh, we are still waiting for them to pick up a veteran backup catcher too.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Right, but the majority of teams carry 12 pitchers, not 13, so even questioning Morrow or who will replace him is still a position player we do not have. They have the luxury of 5 guys who can play multiple positions, C-OF, inf-of, anywhere on the diamond.

Moving Bote or Schwarber gets us nowhere close to getting Harper. Those are the guys we need to fill out a roster. Sure some will say Schwarber is now overpaid, but 3 million for a guy that basically does what 22 million does is not the guy that has to go. I dont know who started all the chatwood and bote stuff, but what we did know is Theo said they would have to trade from the major league roster to get better, and all they did was drop a 1.2 million lastella and added a 2.5 million decalsco.

Oh, we are still waiting for them to pick up a veteran backup catcher too.

You don't get it.

Right now there are 8 players under Major league contract. Morrow is currently injured. That opens up a spot for AAA opertunity. When Morrow returns it pushes that spot closed. But in that time it opens up a chance for exposure for potential long term players. And with the nature of the game that opening will be there all season long. Injury is common.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
With Maddon putting Haper to bed I was thinking of a static line up
CF: Happ/Almora
2B Zobrist
3B Bryant LF vs left
1B Rizzo
SS Baez
LF Schwarber/3B Bote vs Right
C Contreras
RF Heyward

When Russell returns it pushes Bote off the 25 man but also frees up Zobrist to move between LF and 2B again. So just a minor adjustment honestly.

But at this point I think they need defined roles going forward

Castor76

Liked Posts:
There's one thing about Maddon's response. It was the only choice he had. What else could he really say? If he says anything else even hinting at Harper being a Cub, people would go crazy with speculation. Plus it shows his confidence in the team he has versus showing that he thinks the Cubs need something other than him to get back to the mountain top.

erwiggins123

Liked Posts:
I guess so.

I kinda want to call this one early. I'm predicting that the first starting pitcher that was drafted and self developed will end up Justin Steele. That kid showed us something last year post TJ by returning early and really not losing a beat 2.31 ERA 2.51 BB/9 10.23 SO/9 (this was post TJ recovery) . Good size 6'2" 195.

I see him in the Iowa rotation with Alzolay and the others get pushed aside for them. Unlike Alzolay Steele is a complete pitcher vs a 2 pitch pitcher so that is why I'm seeing Steele as the the guy that finally breaks the wall.

Don't forget about Dakota Mekkes. In 41 appearances in Iowa he had a 1.17 ERA and a 1.12 WHIP. The guy has great stuff and is MLB ready. We will see in Spring Training but if the Cubs sign no relievers were going to have to count on guys like Dakota.

erwiggins123

Liked Posts:
There's one thing about Maddon's response. It was the only choice he had. What else could he really say? If he says anything else even hinting at Harper being a Cub, people would go crazy with speculation. Plus it shows his confidence in the team he has versus showing that he thinks the Cubs need something other than him to get back to the mountain top.

This is true. I think either the Cubs will take Harper away from the Phillies when Boras calls the Cubs and asks if they can sign him. Then its up to Ricketts who has already made up his mind. If the Cubs got too involved in the Harper race they would likely never get him. Remember last year when everyone wanted Darvish. The Cubs didn't sign him until February. And another thing, if Darvish comes out healthy, the Cubs will win the Central and go to the World Series. We really need Darvish and Marrow to play up to their potential. The first month of the season we have no real closer, When Marrow comes back it gives us another huge boost. But I see the Cubs scoring a lot of runs this season. A closer isn't really necessary when ur up 7-1,

chibears55

Liked Posts:
2B Zobrist
3B Bryant LF vs left
1B Rizzo
SS Baez
C Contreras
RF Heyward

When Russell returns it pushes Bote off the 25 man but also frees up Zobrist to move between LF and 2B again. So just a minor adjustment honestly.

If this is what they go with, and I think they will too...

They have a couple guys here they better hope turns it around otherwise itll be pretty much a repeat of last year offense

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
This is true. I think either the Cubs will take Harper away from the Phillies when Boras calls the Cubs and asks if they can sign him. Then its up to Ricketts who has already made up his mind. If the Cubs got too involved in the Harper race they would likely never get him. Remember last year when everyone wanted Darvish. The Cubs didn't sign him until February. And another thing, if Darvish comes out healthy, the Cubs will win the Central and go to the World Series. We really need Darvish and Marrow to play up to their potential. The first month of the season we have no real closer, When Marrow comes back it gives us another huge boost. But I see the Cubs scoring a lot of runs this season. A closer isn't really necessary when ur up 7-1,

I dont see it that way. Boreass loses alot of negotiating for future superstar sugar daddy players if he stiffs Philly after they were the only ones showing interest on him publicly. Boreass cannot make that phone call, its going to have to be Harper. You dont want to have put in all this work just so the agent you are dealing with calls someone to match an offer. Who is gonna want to start putting in the work with his next one if they are not the favorite for the player? He will be back to fake news and having to settle on what the players choice is willing to pay. But this day and age of fake news just so you can be the first to report something is just a terrible rut we are all in. I dont know why Philly is even bothering since Harper said he did not want to play there, or did he?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
2B Zobrist
3B Bryant LF vs left
1B Rizzo
SS Baez
C Contreras
RF Heyward

Dont you mean right field for Zobrist? He played 4X more RF than LF.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If this is what they go with, and I think they will too...

They have a couple guys here they better hope turns it around otherwise itll be pretty much a repeat of last year offense

Happ you have to limit him to a left handed hitter. His OBA was .374 Which is outstanding as a lead off. Last year was a sophomore slump.

I've gone over Schwarber also but he is on the verge of a break out and his D vastly improved. With Schwarber and Heyward giving solid numbers it really let's Joe push more O out of CF.

But honestly this team is very talented. They are young and maturing. That is normal stuff.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't forget about Dakota Mekkes. In 41 appearances in Iowa he had a 1.17 ERA and a 1.12 WHIP. The guy has great stuff and is MLB ready. We will see in Spring Training but if the Cubs sign no relievers were going to have to count on guys like Dakota.

Not on the 40 yet. I see it as they feel that he has room to grow before becoming a part of the major league depth chart. I honestly see them bringing up Underwood and Mills first.

Speaking of the pen there has been some squalkings of them looking to trade for a late inning lefty. Duesing would be a low cost contract to absorb so this might end up a thing. The problem is they have the worst farm system in the NL so hold little leverage.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I dont see it that way. Boreass loses alot of negotiating for future superstar sugar daddy players if he stiffs Philly after they were the only ones showing interest on him publicly. Boreass cannot make that phone call, its going to have to be Harper. You dont want to have put in all this work just so the agent you are dealing with calls someone to match an offer. Who is gonna want to start putting in the work with his next one if they are not the favorite for the player? He will be back to fake news and having to settle on what the players choice is willing to pay. But this day and age of fake news just so you can be the first to report something is just a terrible rut we are all in. I dont know why Philly is even bothering since Harper said he did not want to play there, or did he?

Neither was enamored. But you know that they will both take the largest offers. Everything else is fluff.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Maybe you forgot all the games they scored 1 run

CSF77

Liked Posts:
.........when Schwarber was pulled for a defensive replacement.

Leveling out their swings increased their ground ball rates. This new coach is on board with elevating the hitters swing paths to increase fly ball rates.

It was a team wide issue and caused them to fire Davis.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Whitesox supposedly has the highest offer for Machado 7/175

Cubs go 7 /200 hed be on 1st plane to Chicago

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Whitesox supposedly has the highest offer for Machado 7/175

Cubs go 7 /200 hed be on 1st plane to Chicago
So, you are saying the cubs have to significantly outbid the sox for players. LOLOLOLLOLOLO