Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Whitesox supposedly has the highest offer for Machado 7/175

Cubs go 7 /200 hed be on 1st plane to Chicago

In the wake of this morning’s reports from ESPN’s Buster Olney (Twitter link) and USA Today’s Bob Nightengale (Twitter link), in which both suggested that the White Sox’ current offer to Manny Machado stands at $175MM over seven years, Machado’s agent, Dan Lozano of the MVP Sports Group, issued the following statement to MLBTR and other media outlets:

I have known Bob Nightengale and Buster Olney for many years and have always had a good professional relationship with both. But their recent reporting, like many other rumors in the past several months, have been inaccurate and reckless when it comes to Manny Machado. I don’t know if their sources are blatantly violating the Collective Bargaining Agreement by intentionally misleading them to try and affect negotiations through the public or are just flat out lying to them for other reasons. But the truth is that their reports on the details of the White Sox level of interest in Manny are completely wrong.

I am well aware that the entire baseball universe; fans, players, teams, and media members alike; are starved for information about this free agent market for all players, including Manny. But I am not going to continue to watch the press be manipulated into tampering with, not just with my client, but all of these players’ livelihoods as they have been doing this entire offseason. The absence of new information to report is no excuse to fabricate “news” or regurgitate falsehoods without even attempting to confirm their validity and it is a disservice to baseball fans everywhere when the media does just that.

Moving forward, I will continue to respect the CBA’s prohibition on negotiations through the media, and hope that others would do the same.

It’s an emphatic denial of this morning’s reports and a fairly rare step for an agent or team executive to take with regard to media reports. Lozano, though, clearly felt strongly enough to offer a firm rebuke of the information that has been put forth. The “White Sox level of interest” is in reference to the reported numbers on Machado’s offer this morning, rather than a commentary on Chicago’s desire to sign the player himself. At this point, there’s no clear timeline or indication as to when Machado’s free-agent saga will end.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
In the wake of this morning’s reports from ESPN’s Buster Olney (Twitter link) and USA Today’s Bob Nightengale (Twitter link), in which both suggested that the White Sox’ current offer to Manny Machado stands at $175MM over seven years, Machado’s agent, Dan Lozano of the MVP Sports Group, issued the following statement to MLBTR and other media outlets:

I have known Bob Nightengale and Buster Olney for many years and have always had a good professional relationship with both. But their recent reporting, like many other rumors in the past several months, have been inaccurate and reckless when it comes to Manny Machado. I don’t know if their sources are blatantly violating the Collective Bargaining Agreement by intentionally misleading them to try and affect negotiations through the public or are just flat out lying to them for other reasons. But the truth is that their reports on the details of the White Sox level of interest in Manny are completely wrong.

I am well aware that the entire baseball universe; fans, players, teams, and media members alike; are starved for information about this free agent market for all players, including Manny. But I am not going to continue to watch the press be manipulated into tampering with, not just with my client, but all of these players’ livelihoods as they have been doing this entire offseason. The absence of new information to report is no excuse to fabricate “news” or regurgitate falsehoods without even attempting to confirm their validity and it is a disservice to baseball fans everywhere when the media does just that.

Moving forward, I will continue to respect the CBA’s prohibition on negotiations through the media, and hope that others would do the same.

It’s an emphatic denial of this morning’s reports and a fairly rare step for an agent or team executive to take with regard to media reports. Lozano, though, clearly felt strongly enough to offer a firm rebuke of the information that has been put forth. The “White Sox level of interest” is in reference to the reported numbers on Machado’s offer this morning, rather than a commentary on Chicago’s desire to sign the player himself. At this point, there’s no clear timeline or indication as to when Machado’s free-agent saga will end.

Wut?

DanTown

Liked Posts:
The players union needs to fire Tony Clark because this was day was coming and when teams weren't spending in 2015 and 2016 and 2017, it was under this guise of "waiting for the big year" when anyone knows that MLB is finally run by 30 fairly competent GMs that know you don't have to spend the extra money in years and AAV to get a guy because no one really wants to offer it.

Flaming moron couldn't read the tea leaves and now he's locked in to a terrible deal that is going to drastically change the sport.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
The players union needs to fire Tony Clark because this was day was coming and when teams weren't spending in 2015 and 2016 and 2017, it was under this guise of "waiting for the big year" when anyone knows that MLB is finally run by 30 fairly competent GMs that know you don't have to spend the extra money in years and AAV to get a guy because no one really wants to offer it.

Flaming moron couldn't read the tea leaves and now he's locked in to a terrible deal that is going to drastically change the sport.

What we have is the market massively correcting itself. The next CBA might want to focus on removing a year of team control so players enter the FA market sooner and maybe go to an NBA style rule where a team can only offer deals of 4-5 years unless it's a re-sign with a max of 6-7 years. Maybe not let it apply to players traded in the final year. E.g. Machado would know he wouldn't get more than 5 years with anybody because he was traded in the final year of his deal. Harper would be able to sign a 7 year deal with Washington but only 5 years with anyone else. This gives players incentive to re-sign as it gives the most time for the guaranteed money.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Better front offices across the league are a major factor, but when you see 30 teams all doing the same thing offseason after offseason, it does raise the appearance of collusion. MLB should be concerned about potential lawsuits and being subject to discovery.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Better front offices across the league are a major factor, but when you see 30 teams all doing the same thing offseason after offseason, it does raise the appearance of collusion. MLB should be concerned about potential lawsuits and being subject to discovery.

I don't agree. If you are a 70 win team you are better off getting worse to aim for a top 5 draft pick. Vs spending 30M to get to 75 wins.

Cubs are over tax.

A team like the Dodgers doesn't make sense as such with the Yanks. They already reset tax so there is nothing to gain by staying under.

So I see it as the minority might be involved in it. The majority have no reason to waste payroll

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
It was a fuck up. Going in a large chunk of his value was tied up on D. He was never a threat as a hitter.

It just makes me think that the giants or whoever might consider trading for him are waiting to see what these two goofs get before asking for the balance due with a trade, or how much bad we need to take back.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It just makes me think that the giants or whoever might consider trading for him are waiting to see what these two goofs get before asking for the balance due with a trade, or how much bad we need to take back.

That is fiction. I see them shopping Madbum in June. Nothing else.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Or
Owners/management just dont want to keep overpaying players with years and big money and getting screwed by that in the long run

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Or
Owners/management just dont want to keep overpaying players with years and big money and getting screwed by that in the long run

At 26 that is an exception. Heyward going in held 1/2 of his WAR in Defense.