Despite entering Saturday’s match against the Philadelphia Union with a three-match unbeaten streak, the Fire was still seeking its first win of the season.  And although the Fire will continue to seek that first win of the season next week at the Montreal Impact, the team can be satisfied with its fourth straight result after a late equalizer.

[tabs style=”2″]
[tab title=”Goals”]CHI: 16′ Mike Magee assisted by Quincy Amarikwa.  CHI 1-0 PHI

PHI: 32′ Maurice Edu unassisted.  CHI 1-1 PHI

PHI: 39′ Leonardo Fernandes unassisted.  CHI 2-2 PHI

CHI: 86′ Juan Luis Anangono, assisted by Mike Magee.  CHI 2-2 PHI[/tab]
[tab title=”Disciplinary”]CHI: 64′ Dilly Duka, Foul

PHI: 86′ Corben Bone, Foul

PHI: 86′ Maurice Edu, Time wasting

CHI: 88′ Bakary Soumare, Foul[/tab]
[tab title=”Substitutions”]PHI: HT Sheanon Williams for Fabinho

CHI: 57′ Alex for Matt Watson

CHI: 57′ Dilly Duka for Harrison Shipp

CHI: 77′ Juan Luis Anangono for Patrick Nyarko

PHI: 78′ Corben Bone for Leonardo Fernandes

PHI: 87′ Antoine Hoppenot for Conor Casey[/tab]

[tab title=”Match Facts”]Shots: CHI 19 – 7 PHI

Possession: CHI 52%-48% PHI

Fouls: CHI 19 – 14 PHI

Corners: CHI 8 – 4 PHI

Location: Toyota Park, Bridgeview, Ill.

Attendance: 12,699[/tab]

It was the Fire that scored first for the fourth consecutive game when forward Quincy Amarikwa found forward Mike Magee on the cross in the 16th minute.  For the 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player, it was the first of the season.

Following the opening goal, Philadelphia appeared to gain an edge in the match, eventually breaking through in the 32nd minute as Union midfielder Maurice Edu beat Fire goalkeeper Sean Johnson.  Fire defender Bakary Soumare, formerly of the Union, appeared to believe the play was dead before the goal was scored.

The Union were not finished with just one goal, and would strike again just seven minutes later.  Union midfielder Leonardo Fernandes scored directly off a free kick in the 39th minute, beating the screened Johnson.  The goal would be enough to bring Philadelphia into half-time with a lead after no stoppage time was added to the first half.

The second half began with a series of substitutions.  Union defender Sheanon Williams replaced Fabinho at half-time.  The Fire made a pair of 57th substitutions, as midfielders Dilly Duka and Alex replaced fellow midfielders Harrison Shipp and Matt Watson respectively.

The first disciplinary action was made in the 64th minute, as Dilly Duka was issued a yellow card after contact with Williams.

The Fire made its final, and most significant, substitution of the match in the 77th minute, bringing forward Juan Luis Anangono into the match in the place of midfielder Patrick Nyarko.  Former Fire midfielder Corben Bone replaced Fernandes in the Philadelphia midfield in the 78th minute.

Bone and Edu were each issued yellow cards in the 86th minute for a foul and time wasting respectively.  Less than a minute later, Magee’s corner kick found Anangono, who headed the ball toward the net.  Soumare drove forward, getting a touch on the ball before it hit the back of the net.  It was later ruled that the ball had crossed the line prior to Soumare’s touch, thus Anangono was credited with the game-tying goal.

The Union made its final substitution in the 87th minute, replacing forward Conor Casey with forward Antoine Hoppenot.  Soumare was issued a yellow card a minute later.

The Fire nearly took the lead on a 90th minute counter-attack attempt by Magee, shot just higher than the goal.  After five minutes were added to the match, Anangono drew a penalty in the 5th minute of extra time.  Magee took the penalty kick, placing it well before Union goalkeeper Zac MacMath managed to make the save.  The final whistle came shortly thereafter.

The Fire match April 12 at the Montreal Impact will be broadcast on My50 Chicago starting at 3 p.m. CDT.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *