Resign or dont resign Major Wright?

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
with no defensive line and inexperienced linebackers any safety will get 100 tackles(especially when rb"s are averaging close to 5.5 ypc) the stat i would like to see is how many missed tackles he had. i could bet on 3 a game which means he almost missed half the amount of tackles he made...

lmoney23

Liked Posts:
Does anybody know what his pff rank was last year? I know him and Conte at one point pretty late in the season were 3rd in the NFL for best safety pair at not giving up the long ball. Our whole D sucked this year. I think a lot of the blame goes to Tucker myself.

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
Get a DL. Wright and Conte will look much better.

I want to hear from Conte himself regarding the TD, where he thought he was supposed to be in zone, instead of man. Emery knows safety play sucked, and blamed himself for not getting more competition there, and admitted Hardon was a bust at safety. I would hope they upgrade at both safety positions honestly. They can do better at both.

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does anybody know what his pff rank was last year? I know him and Conte at one point pretty late in the season were 3rd in the NFL for best safety pair at not giving up the long ball. Our whole D sucked this year. I think a lot of the blame goes to Tucker myself.

Wright was dead last (86/86) and Conte was 82/86.

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Screen Shot 2014-01-03 at 7.53.09 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-01-03 at 7.53.49 AM.jpg

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
wow. So the metric u are using is for the individual Wright or the tandem of Wright and Conte? Because we all know the tandem is bad but it seems wright is the better of the two. We saw wright get burned much less. I never would have imagined wright had 100 tackles because there are many games he would be an afterthought. Like id never see him. Which is a good and bad thing. Yeah it means he isnt making a ton of plays but he wasnt getting torched like conte.

After hearing ur strong opinion, i looked at contes stats and he had 89 tackles only 11 less than wright but at least from my perspective (the eye test)was far less exploitable.

Player grades are individual i.e., Did the player correctly fulfill his assignment on the play or not? Grading Wright has nothing to do with Conte or his performance. Now you might have seen Wright get burned much less on the broadcast feed, but that's much different than watching from the film angle and looking at which players are doing their jobs and which aren't. You can't just look at stats and say, "This guy made a lot of tackles, therefore he is a good player." Mike Green used to make a lot of tackles, and he was also one of the worst safeties in the league.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I want to hear from Conte himself regarding the TD, where he thought he was supposed to be in zone, instead of man. Emery knows safety play sucked, and blamed himself for not getting more competition there, and admitted Hardon was a bust at safety. I would hope they upgrade at both safety positions honestly. They can do better at both.

What's there to hear? The Bears came out in zone and then checked to an all-out blitz with man to man coverage. Conte didn't get the check, that's why he was still playing zone.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He is an average player that was propped up by pass rush.

Give me an actual playmaker in the secondary that can make a play of at least not embarrass themselves when things are not ide up front.

Nick80

He is an average player that was propped up by pass rush.

Give me an actual playmaker in the secondary that can make a play of at least not embarrass themselves when things are not ide up front.

On that point. Neither safety showed any of the ability over the last two years to actually make a 'hit' I'm aware of the laws, defenceless receiver etc etc but not once did Conte or Wright even look to lay a hit. What happened there?

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't want either one back but it makes sense to keep the guy who is still under contract (cheaply) for depth/special teams a la Steltz. We need two starters that are upgrades over what we had this year. Wright can walk.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
On that point. Neither safety showed any of the ability over the last two years to actually make a 'hit' I'm aware of the laws, defenceless receiver etc etc but not once did Conte or Wright even look to lay a hit. What happened there?

That was Majors issue his first year of actual playtime. He too often tried to hit and not tackle instead.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:

Conte got 2 questionable fines (I think both were 25k) for big hits his first year and it looks like that kind of made him gun shy.