Does Anyone Know If We Could Use The Franchise Tag on Hester?

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
And give him the average salaries of the top kick returners since he spent 0 time at WR? This may be a cheap route to resigning him for another year.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
And give him the average salaries of the top kick returners since he spent 0 time at WR? This may be a cheap route to resigning him for another year.

Hester is a huge waste of roster space. I'd rather get a guy who can return and play other positions or places on the team.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Ford seemed to be up to the task for kickoffs

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Hester is a huge waste of roster space. I'd rather get a guy who can return and play other positions or places on the team.

But what if you're getting him for the veteran minimum based on the average of the top 5 people who are kick returners. I mean if your issue with this plan is that he cannot play multiple positions then I totally understand that.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
But what if you're getting him for the veteran minimum based on the average of the top 5 people who are kick returners. I mean if your issue with this plan is that he cannot play multiple positions then I totally understand that.

With the offense showing signs of life...I think returner is a luxury.

Hester was great during the Lovie years...but it appears our offense can actually drive the length of the field now.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
With the offense showing signs of life...I think returner is a luxury.

Hester was great during the Lovie years...but it appears our offense can actually drive the length of the field now.

Thats what you say now, just wait till we have Bobby Wade part II back there an everyone will be screaming for Hester! Not to mention Hester comes on the cheap...

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Thats what you say now, just wait till we have Bobby Wade part II back there an everyone will be screaming for Hester! Not to mention Hester comes on the cheap...

Give me Bobby Wade part II without the fumbles

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I'd still like Hester at a million per. He could play receiver or CB in a pinch. And he still impacts how teams kick to the Bears.

That's what I'm saying. I think this would be a unique way to sign Hester for cheap. I mean, how many players are there that don't play any other position? That means those players are more than likely bad, and/or very young guys. Is it possible that this would also create a loophole in the veteran minimum requirements because we've franchised him? Now wouldn't that be amazing. I want to see this done just so I can know the answers to these questions.

Saluki

Liked Posts:

Nope, they would probably be forced to pay him as a WR or a CB if they tagged him. Don't know why they'd even waste time on trying to do something like that. Offer him about 1.2 per and if he takes it cool, if not we got other options at KR. We're too tight against the cap to play money games with a KR.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I would rather use it on Mannelly

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Nope, they would probably be forced to pay him as a WR or a CB if they tagged him. Don't know why they'd even waste time on trying to do something like that. Offer him about 1.2 per and if he takes it cool, if not we got other options at KR. We're too tight against the cap to play money games with a KR.

You say nope like you know for sure, then go onto say they'd probably be forced to pay him as a WR or CB indicating that you do not know for sure. I think the reason they'd do this is quite simple: to save a money. Obviously, they'd have to be sure of their stance if they did do this so that way they don't get screwed and tagging him and he ends up costing 6 million dollars.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Why would he sign for that amount of money here when Lovie needs a returner?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'd still like Hester at a million per. He could play receiver or CB in a pinch. And he still impacts how teams kick to the Bears.

Lets be honest Prissy, Hester really couldnt play WR or CB. Hell he had a hard time lining up as either one

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:

Hester has already talked about retiring for two years now. Figuring out some arcane way to keep him for cheap does not mean he will accept it. I agree with those who want a versatile player who can do more than return kicks.

Slacker

Liked Posts:
Give me Bobby Wade part II without the fumbles
I know you're not touting a return of Bobby Wade, but since you mentioned his name I thought I would look up some numbers.

According to profootball reference while in Chicago:
Bobby Wade fumbled every 3 games and averaged 9.3 yards per punt return with a TD every 40th punt return.
Devin Hester fumbled every 4 games and averages 12.3 yards per punt return with a TD every 20th punt return.

Bobby Wade did not return kickoffs in Chicago.
Hester led the NFL in kickoff return yards in 2013.

I seriously don't understand people who are bagging on Hester. Of course if he wants 4 million or something ridiculous the Bears need to move on, but Hester is still one of the best returners in the NFL today. Those that don't seem to understand that must not realize just how insanely lucky Chicago has been to have him at his absolute peak when he was producing at a level that may never be surpassed. Hester as a returner only is far more valuable to the Bears than bumping up the best guy on the practice squad to the last spot on the 53 man roster. If Hester will play for 2 million or less he needs to be re-signed IMO.

And to those that say Hester can play WR or DB, lol. Hester should never see the field unless the opposing punter/kicker are on the field.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
As much as we all are tired of Hester, he did really have a good year returning kicks (especially considering how many penalties our STs got called for) and he doesn't actually fumble very often.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I know you're not touting a return of Bobby Wade, but since you mentioned his name I thought I would look up some numbers.

According to profootball reference while in Chicago:
Bobby Wade averaged a fumble every 3 games and averaged 9.3 yards per punt return with a TD every 40th punt return.
Devin Hester averages a fumble every 4 games and averages 12.3 yards per punt return with a TD every 20th punt return.

Bobby Wade did not return kickoffs in Chicago.
Hester led the NFL in kickoff return yards in 2013.

I seriously don't understand people who are bagging on Hester. Of course if he wants 4 million or something ridiculous the Bears need to move on, but Hester is still one of the best returners in the NFL today. Those that don't seem to understand that must not realize just how insanely lucky Chicago has been to have him at his absolute peak when he was producing at a level that may never be surpasses. Hester as a returner only is far more valuable to the Bears than bumping up the best guy on the practice squad to the last spot on the 53 man roster. If Hester will play for 2 million or less he needs to be re-signed IMO.

And to those that say Hester can play WR or DB, lol. Hester should never see the field unless the opposing punter/kicker are on the field.

I actually didn't bring him up...and yes...Hester is better than Bobby Wade.

And one would hope he led the league in kickoff return yardage...we gave up a shit ton of points last year. he brought a lot of kicks out, 8-9 yards deep in the end zone.

Saluki

Liked Posts:
You say nope like you know for sure, then go onto say they'd probably be forced to pay him as a WR or CB indicating that you do not know for sure. I think the reason they'd do this is quite simple: to save a money. Obviously, they'd have to be sure of their stance if they did do this so that way they don't get screwed and tagging him and he ends up costing 6 million dollars.

I say nope because i am sure they couldn't do anything like that. How many players in the NFL are designated only KR/PR as their position? I think Hester is the only one. You can't average 5 salaries of the top players designated as KR is there aren't 5 guys with that position.

Edit, checked. He is the only one.

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would take Hester back for 1 more year, but it doesn't matter who fucking returns the ball when there is a holding call on every damned punt/kick return