OT: Jenny Finch Strikes Out Pujols, 23 others

Liked Posts:
On a recent episode of the Dan LeBatard Show, Jenny Finch (regarded as the best softball pitcher ever) was a guest. When asked what Albert Pujols would do against her, it was casually revealed she "struck him out." She says on 3 pitches she got him swinging every time.

...Albert Pujols.

She also said she faced 24 other MLB players and that the only one she didn't strike out was Scott Spezio who managed a base hit.

Obviously softball and baseball are completely different to some degree (honestly, i dont know any differences beyond the size of the baseball and softball) but still i must beg the question...

If she's striking out some of the biggest stars in the world why ISN'T she in the MLB? Even if it's for a weekend series or something. If I own a team like Kansas City or Pittsburgh and i'm in need of some spark...or even the Yankees...I would sign her in a heartbeat and see what she could do.

In football the only female players ive seen was the kicker and though you can have contact and get hurt its not like there are any quarterbacks or defensive linemen (let alone defenive linewomen)...in the NBA only Candace Parker could hold her own...

But in baseball couldn't there be some of these softball superstars?

If Jenny Finch was a major league pitcher how do you think she would do?

If she played an entire season, by year 2 i'm certain she would be a Cy Young finalist...i dont think baseball has an answer for those softball girl pitchers who whirl that ball around a thousand miles an hour and throw it low.

Some of you guys have daughters who play softball...what do you think of all this?

Remember folks. She struck out Albert Pujols and a bunch of other guys...

When asked if anyone took her deep she said "Nope."

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Candace Parker might not even be able to hold her own in the NBDL. She's probably not good enough for the NBA.

And would MLB let her throw pitches like a softball? If so, she might be effective. If you have to do overhand/sidearm, then she wouldn't be a good pitcher.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's a reason that boys and girls have separate sports. Chances are, the girls would not be able to compete on the same level because the way the male and female bodies are made, men just tend to be stronger and more athletic. However in baseball, if the girl is just a pitcher than MAYBE there could be a chance for her to play. Probably she's going to need a designated hitter because again, men just tend to be stronger. I'm definitely not trying to be sexist here, but the fact of the matter is most girls would not even be able to compete in the same league as guys.

Liked Posts:
Thanks for the feedback boys.

Again, I know very little about softball and how its different from baseball. I just found that so interesting...that Jenney Finch could strike out Albert Pujols, one of the greatest hitters ever. Based on how the dialogue went it sounded like none of these guys had an answer for the way she threw (Spezio was the only guy who could hit her and she believes that pitch was tipped).

I believe Candace Parker could take almost half the NBA's players on one on one...she could school Earl Boykins no doubt.

But overall...i think thats fair.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
If Jennie Finch was allowed to pitch a baseball like a softball she'd probably be one of the best pitchers in the league. If she was forced to pitch like everyone else, she'd be a lower level player. (I think she probably could still be better than some of those schmoes in the MLB).

Candace Parker on the otherhand, would be the worst player in the NBA. Have you ever watched the celebrity games? Guys like Reggie Bush and Terrell Owens were better than all of the WNBA players in there.

Liked Posts:
I got one part wrong...

Apparently she faced 35 MLB players...not 25. And only one hit her (believed to have been a tipped pitch).

I'm told a major difference between baseball and softball is that in softball the mound is much MUCH closer. Dont know if thats true or not...?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
WAY WAY closer, and she pitches underhand with a larger ball. If she had to use a baseball she'd be lucky to get it 60 feet pitching like that. It happened a couple of decades ago with Reggie Jackson too. Softball at a high level is hard to get a hit regardless of who you are.

Jennie did do it, abou tthree years ago for This Week in Baseball.

Put her on an MLB mond an dassuming she could get the ball over the plate, every hitter would go "yard" on her.

mlewis197

Liked Posts:
I'm not going to lie, this message made you seem mentally Special person.
softball is pitched from like 45 feet away... baseball is 60. even if she was throwing 65 mph MLB players would eat that for breakfast.
I truly wish you had never posted such a an ill-minded and uneducated statement, it frustrated me to unbelievably. please never talk about baseball/ softball ever again, for the rest of your life. please.

Ps. your dumb

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow that was a huge bump, also he doesn't post here anymore. Also :andruw:

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not going to lie, this message made you seem mentally Special person.
softball is pitched from like 45 feet away... baseball is 60. even if she was throwing 65 mph MLB players would eat that for breakfast.
I truly wish you had never posted such a an ill-minded and uneducated statement, it frustrated me to unbelievably. please never talk about baseball/ softball ever again, for the rest of your life. please.

Ps. your dumb

:nope:

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
WAY WAY closer, and she pitches underhand with a larger ball. If she had to use a baseball she'd be lucky to get it 60 feet pitching like that. It happened a couple of decades ago with Reggie Jackson too. Softball at a high level is hard to get a hit regardless of who you are.

Jennie did do it, abou tthree years ago for This Week in Baseball.

Put her on an MLB mond an dassuming she could get the ball over the plate, every hitter would go "yard" on her.

Yep it's about the range and mechanics...MLB players aren't wired to hit that stuff

the op is kind of dumb..but then again he was notorious on this site for being an idiot

but then again so is the dude who bumped it..the op doesn't even post anymore

plus it's you're

you is dumb, you herpin derpin derp

mlewis197

Liked Posts:
eat my asshole grammar nazi.
she wouldn't win a Cy young because 1) She cant pitch under hand in the majors and 2) shes throwing 60 mph.
the only reason she was able to strike them our is because its not something they've ever faced before. If you gave them a week to get used to it they'd muck her pitches...

Ps- :angryfinger:

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The thing that makes a softball hard to hit is that instead of coming down and towards the hitter like in baseball, it is going up and towards the hitter. If you've played baseball your whole life you're not ready for that and that probably explains why they couldn't hit the ball.

She wouldn't be a MLB pitcher because in softball there's no mound and that would factor into it as well as ball size.

It's amazing that she can strike out major league hitters, but it's mostly because of the way the ball moves. A rise ball is really hard to hit.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
she wouldn't win a Cy young because 1) She cant pitch under hand in the majors and 2) shes throwing 60 mph.
the only reason she was able to strike them our is because its not something they've ever faced before. If you gave them a week to get used to it they'd muck her pitches...

I don't think they'd muck her pitches. They would hit the ball, but I think it'd take a long time for them to actually hit the ball well off of her. And she'd still get some of them out.

Just as in baseball, there's different pitches and her offspeed stuff is the best ever in fast pitch softball.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

that's a little bit of a understatement

also :umad:

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

2125.gif

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Candace Parker might not even be able to hold her own in the NBDL. She's probably not good enough for the NBA.

And would MLB let her throw pitches like a softball? If so, she might be effective. If you have to do overhand/sidearm, then she wouldn't be a good pitcher.

Ya there is no way Candice Parker could play in the D-league at least play good.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
candace parker would have to develop some guard skills