Cubs Sign Jason Hammel

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Jason Hammel is nearing a deal to return to the Cubs, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweets.

Will be interesting to see what the details are. I like the move, he pitched very well for us last season and he is about as good as any of the other 2nd tier options and probably the cheapest.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Will be interesting to see what the details are. I like the move, he pitched very well for us last season and he is about as good as any of the other 2nd tier options and probably the cheapest.

If this is true, I hope he and Lester got along well in their short stint in Oakland, and hope if he does re-sign with the Cubs, that he aids in the recruiting of Lester like Dempster is doing.

How sweet would it be to land Lester and bring back Hammel, plus have Addison Russell and McKinney in the minors, all for 50 million on top of what Shark was wanting? :buttrock:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

id take liriano and santana all day long over him.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

True, but if you are shooting for a TOR pitcher that is outside the organization, chances are that you are not going to sign both. That said, if the fallout plan for not landing Lester was to be one of the aforementioned pitchers along with Hammel, I would not be too disappointed. :smug2:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
True, but if you are shooting for a TOR pitcher that is outside the organization, chances are that you are not going to sign both. That said, if the fallout plan for not landing Lester was to be one of the aforementioned pitchers along with Hammel, I would not be too disappointed. :smug2:

true

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

TBH I forgot Santana was a FA. Haven't heard much of anything going on with him. Liriano's contract will be interesting because it could be quite high. Heard the team that gets him will have to go up to 4-years. Hopefully they are looking at Hammel because it saves them some money that they can apply towards Lester. I'm hoping this deal is in the 2-3 year range worth about $10 AAV

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
TBH I forgot Santana was a FA. Haven't heard much of anything going on with him. Liriano's contract will be interesting because it could be quite high. Heard the team that gets him will have to go up to 4-years. Hopefully they are looking at Hammel because it saves them some money that they can apply towards Lester. I'm hoping this deal is in the 2-3 year range worth about $10 AAV

Reports are that Frisco and KC are teams that want Santana. I think after the dominoes start to fall, more teams will enter into this. You just know that their ill be multiple teams that will pay for his services that don't necessarily want to get into the long term deals.

Hell, maybe the Cardinals might end up with him. Between Santana, Liriano and Shields, that seems to be in their comfort level IMO.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reports are that Frisco and KC are teams that want Santana. I think after the dominoes start to fall, more teams will enter into this. You just know that their ill be multiple teams that will pay for his services that don't necessarily want to get into the long term deals.

Hell, maybe the Cardinals might end up with him. Between Santana, Liriano and Shields, that seems to be in their comfort level IMO.

the cardinals can sign mccarthy and he will turn into a cy young candidate. for some reason thats what happens in st louis.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good! E-Jax it is and we will even eat 3/4th's of his remaining salary. :pray:

i find it so crazy how players who have issues or are bad, injured etc just flourish there.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
i find it so crazy how players who have issues or are bad, injured etc just flourish there.

Its why I believe the Cubs can succeed. The law of averages eventually have to turn. I means its like a 100 years past due.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Liriano has better upside but also got a QO and is an injury risk. If he didn't have a QO on him I'd be inclined to agree that he's more interesting. I don't remember whether or not Santana got a QO again as he did the year prior. Either way, if we conservatively say Hammel is the #3/4 on the cubs next year it's clearly an upgrade over Wood/Jackson unless both vastly improve.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe I read rumors that Santana was looking for a 4 year deal or more.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Hammel Is fine. If he pitches like he did in Chicago he's a solid 3, if he pitches like his first three months in Oakland you've got problems. I would prefer McCarthy but I'm guessing g Hammell is much cheaper.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I feel the Cubs already have Jason Hammel at a much cheaper price in the organization already. To me this is a wasted signing.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like it will end up being a 3 year offer for him. He did well as a Cub and found success pitching in the NL. I like the move. But it means that Turner will not get a rotation spot.

Arrieta
Hammel
Hendricks
Wada
Wood
Turner
Doubront
Jackson
Jokish

Team needs a #1. But it could pass until the deadline and then use one of Russell/Castro/Baez to trade for an ace.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I feel the Cubs already have Jason Hammel at a much cheaper price in the organization already. To me this is a wasted signing.

Comes down to Turner or Hammel. I trust Hammel more. Turner was at his best out of the pen.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Comes down to Turner or Hammel. I trust Hammel more. Turner was at his best out of the pen.

I see it as a big pile for #4/5 slots. And what will probably be $7-10 million per, I take a massive pass on Jason.

mooch82

Liked Posts:
Hammel Is fine. If he pitches like he did in Chicago he's a solid 3, if he pitches like his first three months in Oakland you've got problems. I would prefer McCarthy but I'm guessing g Hammell is much cheaper.

He was only there for 3 months, so not sure what you mean by "first three months". And he actually only had a couple shaky starts in July when he first got there which killed his overall numbers - look at his splits for August and September....ERA under 3 both months.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
the cardinals can sign mccarthy and he will turn into a cy young candidate. for some reason thats what happens in st louis.

Dave Duncan doesn't live here any more.

Actually, it's the Cubs and Bosio who have had the turnaround touch lately.